Hootentown Natural Arch

Urban exploration in Missouri
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Hootentown Natural Arch

Post by slow_walker »

Does anyone know where this is? The best I can figure out (with little effort into looking) is that it is located near Crane, Mo. If anyone can tell me if that is true and give me directions to the arch I would appreciate it because I'm planning on going by there on Sunday if I can find it.

Also, if anyone wants to tag along you are more than welcome. But that's Easter so I'm sure you will all have plans. I have to go that general direction to get to Grandma's house so I thought I would explore on my way.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Re: Hootentown Natural Arch

Post by BROUSER »

There's another thread in here somewhere that I started asking for directions from the road. I've been there a few times, but always from the river. No one had real good directions from the road. I'll ask Dad or Mom next time I see them, I'm sure they will know. It's also knows as the James River Arch and the Hurley Arch. I would think you get there from Stone County A or AA
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Directions: Campbell Street South to Highlandville. Turn right on "O" follow to James River past the trout farm. The trout farm deserves a peek, if you have time. But the real treat is Hootentown. This is the trailer trash Riviera-on-the-James. As you cross the bridge, there is a canoe rental service on the left. While asking about the whereabouts of a cave nearby, and who might own it, I encountered three lovely people with about 10 teeth among them, and they were all probably under 40. Hard to say. The gentleman of the group had a lovely jailhouse tatoo on his throat that said "i hate nigers." I wondered how he felt about Chads and Libyas, but didn't ask. The cave nearby: cross bridge to where road comes to a T, turn left. Follow around curve to right, and where road curves left again, pull up to gate. Get out and walk, following road, to cave. Road really doesn't go to cave, but if you go to where it looks like there might be a cave, there is one. Low crawl thru entrance, then you are in a tunnel looks like man-made, but probably isn't. Could drive a golf cart through it. Level floor. Can follow back to where there has been a collapse at some point. Possibly could go back past there, but I didn't, because I hadn't told anyone where I was going. As far as who owns the land, no one seemed to know, or they lived out of state. Asked all the nearest neighbors, and no one gave us a hard time when we gave up and just went on in. But we did get to meet some interesting people!
You might stop and ask the people at the Hootontown Canoe Rental. If the guy with the tattoo on his neck is still there, he might even offer to give you a tour. There's also a small cave there, involves a little crawling.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
slow_walker

Post by slow_walker »

thanks for the info Brouser
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I'm pretty sure if you cross the bridge, turn left, follow up to AA highway, turn left, the way to the top of the arch will be a road to your left. Google map says something like Werner road, but i don't trust that map. It could be right, I know the arch is directly across the river from rainbow valley road, but google shows rainbow valley road going to the river. It doesn't.
― Ken Ham
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

I've never driven there, because supposedly it's really easy to get busted if you try and do it from the road. But here's where the arch is on a map.

If you look at the James River there, it looks like a hound's head pointing to the left. The arch is supposedly at the tip of the nose.
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Hootentown Natural Arch

Post by piplnr65656 »

Sounds like the makings of a nice field trip next time I am home. They used to not care if people were back there as we used to have massive partys back there until this twit fell off the arch and poped his head open on landing. Next time I am home remind me and we can have a little field trip to it by land but by water would be cool. The idea of a underground ozarks float trip would be very cool. There are lots of caves and things to check out floating down the river.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I am all for a UO float trip. I have a canoe and could take an extra body or two. I could probably even round up an extra canoe. If we put in at Shelvin Rock, I know of one cave we could hit just above Hootentown, then could float down to McCall Bridge to go past the arch.
― Ken Ham
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Or could just put in at Hootentown, there is a cave there that I'd like to go back to. I don't think I managed to go all the way back in that one, there was a rock fall that I didn't try to climb over or through.
― Ken Ham
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

I want to have a UO float trip. Especially now that I have a truck and I can actually haul my canoe around :)
Mindscape
The Leprechaun
The Leprechaun

Post by Mindscape »

Would be a prime opportunity to get thejadedfox out on a float trip... mmm... thejadedfox in a swimsuit...
"I'm going deeper underground.
There's too much panic in this town."
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I'm open as far as rivers go to float on...The James is pretty convenient, and has some interesting places on it, but the water quality isn't the greatest. I think by the time it gets down to Hootentown, though, all the turds from the southwest wastewater treatment plant have sunk to the bottom.
― Ken Ham
Mindscape
The Leprechaun
The Leprechaun

Post by Mindscape »

Personally, I'd suggest the Current River.
"I'm going deeper underground.
There's too much panic in this town."
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Good river, but quite a ways over there. My favorite in Missouri is Jack's Fork, when there's enough water to float the upper part. Eleven Point, North Fork, Bryants Creek are all good, but a lot of traffic. I like Flat Creek because there are no commercial outfitters. I floated that on Memorial Day weekend and only saw one other canoe. I don't like people, for the most part. Best float I ever did was Buffalo River in January. Beautiful, and no people.
― Ken Ham
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: RE: Hootentown Natural Arch

Post by piplnr65656 »

Mindscape wrote:Personally, I'd suggest the Current River.
The Current and Jacks Forth are awsome rivers to float down but they are a ways away.