"Rocktown" in SE Oklahoma

Urban exploration in Oklahoma
the Bow-man
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

"Rocktown" in SE Oklahoma

Post by the Bow-man »

Howdy folks-- I'm new to this forum.
There is a place near Lake Sardis called "Rocktown"...it is actually in John's Valley, most of which is owned by the logging Co. John Hancock. Anyway, rumors abound that the ground around there is 'hollow' and there is a large system of caves underneath. It is said that a hippie commune lived there in the 60's.
That whole area is littered with large rock formations with shelters and such. I have attempted to make it to Rocktown via my ATV but never made it. Have any of you heard of this place or have any experience in that part of the state? It is roughly 15-20 miles north of Antlers.
vetteboi88
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: "Rocktown" in SE Oklahoma

Post by vetteboi88 »

Found the area on google earth. About where you said it was, john's hollow. It is in the middle of an anticline. Should not be many caves or anything of a karst nature there, the rocktypes won't support it. It is a natural "bowl" though, thanks to the formation of the Ouachita mtns.
bugo
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by bugo »

Speaking of Lake Sardis, is there anything on the bottom of the lake? The lake is fairly new. I have a map that shows a town called Sardis where the lake is now.
hevy
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by hevy »

Regarding Sardis Lake. I fished with my father there during my teens. There once was a town called Sardis but I guess it is underwater. There is a cemetary still there that is on an island (I guess it was on a hill originally). I think you can only get to it by boat. There are also some old road beds under the lake. You could be going across the lake in a boat and have trees on each side of you in a perfect row.
bugo
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by bugo »

There's supposed to be a town called Keystone underneath Keystone Lake west of Tulsa.
k din
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: "Rocktown" in SE Oklahoma

Post by k din »

Under Lake Hudson in NE OK is an old indian village if you are interested.
talbotthemad
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by talbotthemad »

Old Wister is underneath Lake Wister, in SE Oklahoma... My great uncle, Allen, used to fish in Lake Wister, but would never eat any fish he caught from that particular lake. When asked about it, he said, "My dad was buried in the old Wister Cemetery, and when they flooded the valley, the cemetery was still there... Seems kinda disrespectful, eatin fish that mighta et my dad."