Post by crazydrummerdude »

Panic!

PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

Re: The WTF Photo of the Day Thread

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

If I may nerd out for just a moment with some slight corrections...

- Everything ultimately erodes to sedimentary
- Metamorphic can alter sedimentary or igneous
- Being jerked around by the other two, igneous in its rage just gets expelled from the earth's surface like a particularly nasty bout of diarrhea. That or it cools under the surface, like gas stuck in your intestine, and is then subject to the processes of the other two. It's like the little brother with downs syndrome in this triad.

**Super interesting fact**
Ice is a mineral and can technically be all three rock types...
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

PANIC! on the Titanic wrote: Ice is a mineral and can technically be all three rock types...
I'm going to be THAT guy:
Ice in your freezer is not a mineral. Ice on the sidewalk is. A sno-cone is not a mineral with flavor. Yellow snow is a mineral with a flavor that very few people would actually want.

On a wholly different topic, a banana is not a fruit. It's a berry.

Yeah, that's the kind of asshole I want to be today.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

BROUSER wrote:
PANIC! on the Titanic wrote: Ice is a mineral and can technically be all three rock types...
Ice in your freezer is not a mineral. Ice on the sidewalk is. A sno-cone is not a mineral with flavor. Yellow snow is a mineral with a flavor that very few people would actually want.

On a wholly different topic, a banana is not a fruit. It's a berry.

Yeah, that's the kind of asshole I want to be today.
Correct, minerals must be a naturally occurring homogenous solid, thus ice in your freezer isn't a mineral, but if you take it, let it melt and then refreeze outside, poof you've made a mineral. Hurray for technicalities.

On the topic of bananas, the cavendish varieties which we eat today are all genetically identical, sterile entities which do not occur in naturally and if one disease were to figure out how to kill one banana, the entire poser species would go extinct and we'd be out of bananas to eat for a while.

I'm on top of your 'That Guy = asshole' game, Brouser. Any other technical revelations to share with the class? All I can think of is the tomato - anyone who says it's a vegetable is a fucktard. It joins bananas in berryhood. Everyone should know that.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Technical? No. Historical? Sure. Vikings didn't wear horns on their helmets. Sheer stupidity to provide a convenient handle for an opponent in close in-fighting.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

Mnemonic peg system for remembering the epochs, eras, and eons. These helped when taking 101 and historical geology:

Epochs:
Heavy people put more on each plate

Eons:
Caress my pretty pecker

Eras (sans the Precambrian):
Quit telling crazy Jack that Peter Paul and Mary died slowly over coals

Precambrian Eras: "PAH" = the sound of disregard at being such silly and distant Eras

http://www.nature.nps.gov/geology/usgsn ... jatime.pdf
White Rabbit wrote:Welcome back. Find some cool stuff and tell us about it :P
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

PANIC! on the Titanic wrote:
BROUSER wrote:
Correct, minerals must be a naturally occurring homogenous solid, thus ice in your freezer isn't a mineral, but if you take it, let it melt and then refreeze outside, poof you've made a mineral. Hurray for technicalities.
A slippery slope my friend...

What if it froze outside and then I bring it inside and put it in my freezer?
What if it's winter outside and there's an ice storm and the power goes off and I lose heat to my house and it get's so cold inside the house that the water in the freezer freezes?
What if it's summer outside and there's an ice storm and the power goes off and I lose A/C to my house and it get's so warm inside the house that the water in the freezer freezes?
What if I'm secretly Iceman from the X-Men and I can freeze all the moisture in my freezer at will?
What if I take my freezer outside in the wintertime in below freezing temps, but I leave my freezer plugged in and the water inside freezes?
What if I do that cool trick you see youtubers do with beers where I super cool the water in my freezer below freezing temp but it doesn't freeze and then i hit it against the table and it freezes in a second?
What if I do the same as above but I do the shock freeze outside?
What if I use liquid nitrogen to freeze the water, inside or outside, in my freezer or not?
What if I take a piece of ice from outside and freeze a layer of tap water around it in my freezer?
Or take an ice cube from my freezer outside and freeze a layer of outside water onto it?

What then Panic? What then!!?
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

Nicotti wrote:
BROUSER wrote: I'm going to be THAT guy:

What if it froze outside and then I bring it inside and put it in my freezer?
What if it's winter outside and there's an ice storm and the power goes off and I lose heat to my house and it get's so cold inside the house that the water in the freezer freezes?
What if it's summer outside and there's an ice storm and the power goes off and I lose A/C to my house and it get's so warm inside the house that the water in the freezer freezes?
What if I'm secretly Iceman from the X-Men and I can freeze all the moisture in my freezer at will?
What if I take my freezer outside in the wintertime in below freezing temps, but I leave my freezer plugged in and the water inside freezes?
What if I do that cool trick you see youtubers do with beers where I super cool the water in my freezer below freezing temp but it doesn't freeze and then i hit it against the table and it freezes in a second?
What if I do the same as above but I do the shock freeze outside?
What if I use liquid nitrogen to freeze the water, inside or outside, in my freezer or not?
What if I take a piece of ice from outside and freeze a layer of tap water around it in my freezer?
Or take an ice cube from my freezer outside and freeze a layer of outside water onto it?

A slippery slope...I see and appreciate what you did there.

In order:

- Still a mineral since no artificial methods were used to commence initial crystalization. Once it's in your freezer, who cares, as long as it doesn't melt first. A diamond in your freezer is still a diamond mineral.
- Then if your house cools to ambient temperatures below freezing, you aren't using a man made cooling system to force crystallization.
- Summer and an ice storm so the water gets so warm it freezes? Your world sucks bro.
- Iceman's still artificially freezing shit with his powers. This is bad news for women who sleep with the iceman, and the iceman cometh. Icy vags = not a mineral.
- Then it's natural since no artificial power was supplied to the freezer, you just left the door open, so naturally it's just a container for your water. Here I can see the argument where 'oh electricity is natural, all we do is harness it and apply it as needed..' Yeah well it's still anthropogenic synthesis of ice.
- While super cooling is super cool, you super synthetically induced the required crystallization temps. Although I might cede that one could technically cool the water to 1°C and then take it out into the freezing outside to lower the remaining 1 degree, then it would naturally freeze. But in your case you've lowered the water temp past the freezing point artificially, just changed it's location - anthropogenic erosion. So no.
- See above.
- I don't fuckin know
- taking ice from outside (natural I assume) and unnaturally freeze water around it, then you have a good icy core cocooned in an icy shell of bullshit.
- Fuck you
- Any more questions?
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

wow this is a palpable level of nerdy. so, frozen water experts..what exactly happens to H2O in outer space..it is considered outside still.. right? Water freezes of in outer space..isn't it is like winter there.. but without snow and shit? What if the piss in the ISS got released into space? Would it be like a conglomerate space rock?
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Nicotti wrote:
PANIC! on the Titanic wrote: Correct, minerals must be a naturally occurring homogenous solid, thus ice in your freezer isn't a mineral, but if you take it, let it melt and then refreeze outside, poof you've made a mineral. Hurray for technicalities.

In order:

- I don't fuckin know

- Any more questions?
Well you obviously need to go back to school and demand answers. Inquiring minds want to know.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

Ah you have chosen to gloss over the question of space piss. Your kung-fu is inferior.
Last edited by redox on Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

redox wrote:wow this is a palpable level of nerdy. so, frozen water experts..what exactly happens to H2O in outer space? it is considered outside still.. right?
If you throw the water into space and let it settle to the balmy ambient temperature of around 3 Kelvin, it will be pretty naturally frozen. I don't think it's the location of crystallization that determines its mineral status, rather the actual crystal forming factor of cooling must be natural. By this logic, if you take hot lava and stick it in your freezer and cool it down until it's a chunk of granite, you do not have a rock, since a rock is an agglomeration of minerals, of which you have none since your punk ass synthesized it all! Geology's fun isn't it?

Fun fact, ice's hardness increases as temperature decreases. at barely frozen, it's like talc. Around -70 C, it can scratch glass. Idk what it's hardness is at 3 K (-370 C) but shiiiiit it's probably hard as fuck. Like mah D.
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

redox wrote:wow this is a palpable level of nerdy. so, frozen water experts..what exactly happens to H2O in outer space? it is considered outside still.. right?
If you throw the water into space and let it settle to the balmy ambient temperature of around 3 Kelvin, it will be pretty naturally frozen. I don't think it's the location of crystallization that determines its mineral status, rather the actual crystal forming factor of cooling must be natural. By this logic, if you take hot lava and stick it in your freezer and cool it down until it's a chunk of granite, you do not have a rock, since a rock is an agglomeration of minerals, of which you have none since your punk ass synthesized it all! Geology's fun isn't it?

EDIT: Oh you said lave nm

Fun fact, ice's hardness increases as temperature decreases. at barely frozen, it's like talc. Around -70 C, it can scratch glass. Idk what it's hardness is at 3 K (-370 C) but shiiiiit it's probably hard as fuck. Like mah D.
um I don't have lots of tons of pressure in my freezer for the pluton to turn into intrusive igneous.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

Nicotti wrote:
Nicotti wrote: A slippery slope my friend...

In order:

- I don't fuckin know

- Any more questions?
Well you obviously need to go back to school and demand answers. Inquiring minds want to know.
Depends on how the nitrogen was cooled I'd say. In a freezer system in your kitchen, we use artificially cooled freon in man made copper coils to remove heat from the freezer system, which in turns freezes your shit. Or Piss. Or non-mineralized ice.
As such, if you are using an artificially produced fluid (such as compressed freon, or liquid nitro forced into a compressed state in a tank) then you are once again artificially inducing crystallization, thus nope, not a mineral. But if you found a cloud of liquid nitro out in space for some reason, filled up a condom with water (and a little cum, just for shiggles) and chucked it through the nitro cloud and that cooled off the water and froze it, then yes. Also, you'd have invented a new mineral, jizzite. Not to be confused with cummingtonite, which is a real thing.
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

never seen an intrusive post like that happen haha ^^ I didn't even get a chance to edit the typo. You guys still haven't answer the piss mineral question. Would it be like an evaporite?