Oceola, Mo - Poor Folks Home/Asylum

Urban exploration in Missouri
construct_this
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: Oceola, Mo - Poor Folks Home/Asylum

Post by construct_this »

I know exactly where this place is. We drive by there quite a bit when we fish the Brush Creek access on Truman Lake. Last time we drove by there was a mobile home someone had moved onto the property and is using as a residence. I believe it is still owned by the person who had the bar/grill there previously.
Athena
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Athena »

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try and contact the owner and see if they would be interested in having us out there to film and/or investigate the place.

I bet they have some great stories. :)

I'm so glad to be back in Missouri!
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Re: Oceola, Mo - Poor Folks Home/Asylum

Post by Willard »

Athena wrote:We did a show called Children of the Grave that had Zombie Road in it and Pythian Castle in Springfield and we are releasing Children of the Grave 2 for Christmas which includes Lemp and Ashmore Estates which was a former poor farm in Ashmore, Illinois.
I'm a member of the Knights of Pythias, I wished you had talked to our organization about the castle. To put it this way, we're disapointed with the lack of research of the Pythian Home before it was sold to the military. I have information on the Home and the Grand Lodge of Missouri has records.

The current owner disapoints me as well, she isn't interested in accurate history so much as making money off of what she can. I was snubbed by here when she first bought the place and I offered to share all historical information I had on the Home during its occupation by the Knights of Pythias.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

KCurbex located it:
http://binged.it/w3sfvx
JBSlarti
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Oceola, Mo - Poor Folks Home/Asylum

Post by JBSlarti »

Not much to add to this, other than that I drove by it last weekend. There is definitely an occupied travel trailer sitting right next to the building and it looks like there are quite a few neighbors nearby.

The building itself does look cool and in mostly good condition, if a bit overgrown.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Thanks for the update!