CAVES

Urban exploration in Missouri
Twail Wetard
The Clit Commander
The Clit Commander

Re: CAVES

Post by Twail Wetard »

Well fuck him.... I hate people like that. Is it accessable while avoiding people?
THE THREAD KILLER!
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

RE: CAVES

Post by liesreality »

I cant say i blame the owner, but i do wish he was more trusting, even it was to meet an explorer and give them a chance if he feels comfortable that way, or even a tour. :)
azr3al
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by azr3al »

Apparently he's been burnt by too many people, promising all kinds of shit, and then just raping his trust. He said he had the MSM spelunkers out there, good relationship for a while, then they brought out 40 people one time, during a hard rain. The rain floods the cave, and it becomes very dangerous.

Another time, two old ladies and their grandchildren wanted to have a "picnic" in the cave. He hears all kinds of banging and loud noises from the cave. When he gets inside the cave, they are fucking chipping away at the walls, looking for gold??? Then they have the gall to get pissed at him for saying get the hell off my property lol.

I don't blame him, but it fucking sucks. One of us needs to gain his trust or some shit. It's too close to his house to risk sneaking in for me.
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

Post by liesreality »

aww....yes, from the google satellite it did look close. bummer, oh well on to the next adventure. :)
itscaramel
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by itscaramel »

Hey! Heard of Wonderland Cave in Bella Vista, AR? It used to be an old nightclub. My grandpa used to hang out there in its time. From Cooper Elementary School in Bella Vista, go up the hill (right at the fork) onto Dartmoor. Before the hill gets steep (there are houses toward the top), there will be exposed red rock to your left. There is a pulloff directly across from the cave to your right. The cave entrance is on the road, so pull your car off to the left and hid it behind the foliage. I've never seen police there, but it recently sold (someone wants to make it into a restaurant), so they might be watching it. There is a building facing the road. On the right side, there is an open window. You'll crawl through here, turn to your right, and go down the stairs. BRING FLASHLIGHTS. The steps are slick. Continue down the stairs all the way back until you get to the dance floor/booths. It's pretty torn up from kids being back there, but it's beautiful. I've never made it past there.
The problem with opening it up is that there is no other exit. Legally, there are issues with it being publicly open. That's why the red rock is open... They were trying to make another entrance/exit.

Have fun!!!
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

Post by liesreality »

Does sound a great place to check out. I was told the police now monitor that dirt area you mentioned right past the cave, any truth to that?

I hope to eventually see the place.
Twail Wetard
The Clit Commander
The Clit Commander

Post by Twail Wetard »

It's on the list.
THE THREAD KILLER!
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Found this, not sure it's been posted.
http://www.mospeleo.org/docs/cave_map_s ... o_2006.xls

Love the names of some of the caves:
Separation Anxiety Cave
Random Act of Karst Cave
Angry Cow Cave
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
StLouisGlobetrotter
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by StLouisGlobetrotter »

(((sorry about the necro)))

Did anybody ever find the contact info for Pike's Peak (Roubidoux), Piquet, and Tunnel caves? Also I believe Railroad cave might be different from Tunnel, and might also be called miller school cave (source: Caves of Missouri has two separate entries and I've found two separate locations on some topo maps.)

I tried locating Roubidoux, Tunnel, and Miller School caves tonight. Was exploring about two hours. Found some absolutely gorgeous views, but only what may have been Miller School cave. Tunnel appeared to be on private property with no decent place to park, and I actually got stopped by a fella who knew the owner of the land Roubidoux is located on when I was coming down from a fruitless exploration. I wasn't aware it was private property until I talked to him, I'm just glad he was fairly congenial about the whole situation.

But yeah. Anybody have that contact info? I'd love to get back out there this weekend, maybe with some trash bags because I saw a decent amount of littering.
Fuck litterers.
ThumYorky
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by ThumYorky »

Roubidoix Cave is also called Pikes Peak Cave. Its about a mile and a half north of Waynesville on 17. Right before you cross the bridge over the Gasconade it's on your right up the bluff.

I haven't been there yet myself. It's definitely one you want to get permission before entering, as it's right on the road.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

ThumYorky wrote:Roubidobidoix
fixed
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

StLouisGlobetrotter wrote:(((sorry about the necro)))

Did anybody ever find the contact info for Pike's Peak (Roubidoux), Piquet, and Tunnel caves? Also I believe Railroad cave might be different from Tunnel, and might also be called miller school cave (source: Caves of Missouri has two separate entries and I've found two separate locations on some topo maps.)

I tried locating Roubidoux, Tunnel, and Miller School caves tonight. Was exploring about two hours. Found some absolutely gorgeous views, but only what may have been Miller School cave. Tunnel appeared to be on private property with no decent place to park, and I actually got stopped by a fella who knew the owner of the land Roubidoux is located on when I was coming down from a fruitless exploration. I wasn't aware it was private property until I talked to him, I'm just glad he was fairly congenial about the whole situation.

But yeah. Anybody have that contact info? I'd love to get back out there this weekend, maybe with some trash bags because I saw a decent amount of littering.
Fuck litterers.
The owner of Roubidobidoix is a military guy who moves around a lot. When I talked to him last (in like 2009) he was in GA, then moved to Seattle, then moved again but idk where to. Because he's never around, the Pulaski County Sheriff Dept watches the property pretty closely, and they are the primary contact for the MSM grotto. So, you may want to check with them.

Piquet cave you can scratch off the list, it's historically been a big negative to all who as. Which sucks, cuz that's like 5 miles of cave.

There are several others in the National Forest and Mill Creek areas around Newburg. I used Caves of Missouri as a general guide and with a lot of walking around, was able to scare up a few smaller caves. BUT for some caves the location is WAY off, sometimes by a whole section. Hide Hollow cave is one example. But even if you dont find your cave, you at least get a really nice hike out of it.

Also word of caution - it's deer season and anyone and everyone can be in the national forest with a gun or a bow. I'd wait until after at least firearms season is over before traipsing around out on public land.

Also, go check out Paddy Creek! Tons of cool stuff there, including caves, natural arches, springs, creeks and cliffs. Lots to see and do.
ThumYorky
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by ThumYorky »

Yes absolutely. Please at least wait a weekend before going out on public land. Last year I was down around the Mill Creek area during opening weekend and I probably came across 50 trucks/vehicles parked. You could look across the valley and see the hill dotted with orange. Right now isn't a good time to be on public land off trail :/

Also, hey Panic! Long time no talk. How's Europe? Been meaning to message you guys. Hope it's a blast.

I went down to Huzzah on Friday, found nearly a dozen caves. Didn't realize the place is so crawling with caves. Also some pretty gnarly karst formations especially along the Huzzah. Bat Cave is huge. Wish it wasn't gated off.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

ThumYorky wrote:Also, hey Panic! Long time no talk. How's Europe? Been meaning to message you guys. Hope it's a blast.
It's been a trip for sure. Constantly moving around all the time gets old, as does the constant cold and gray misery that is central/eastern Europe. BUT I've found some caves and abandonments over here so that's been nice plus we're in a sunnier place now.

Still tho, can't beat home...
ThumYorky
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by ThumYorky »

If Missouri has anything going for it, it's the karst. And the rivers.