Railroad Chicken Peninsula

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Railroad Chicken Peninsula

Post by RedRook »

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.1221676 ... m1!1e3

Has anyone played chicken on the railroad bridge out of the conservation area to find this structure on the almost island peninsula. I plan on going in the next few days. I'm still debating on whether to take the shortcut on the railroad bridge or whether to take the soggy trail from where the trail goes under the highway.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: Railroad Chicken Peninsula

Post by Nicotti »

RedRook wrote:Has anyone played chicken on the railroad bridge...
I did once, the train won...

RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Railroad Chicken Peninsula

Post by RedRook »

You see the problem is that you didn't leave enough room to get to 88 MPH.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I haven't ever been there. Floated past it this past summer. I'm thinking my next excursion will be to look at the oxbow area down by Rivercut. I have a weird fascination with flood debris.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: RE: Railroad Chicken Peninsula

Post by Nicotti »

RedRook wrote:You see the problem is that you didn't leave enough room to get to 88 MPH.
I was out of gas.
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

Brouser, I have my eye on that massive spring on the east bend just next to the Kreider Horse Track by River Cut. When I was going back over the maps after my last trip, every dye trace in the area went to the same spot over there. I was hoping to do it during a warmer Spring rain.

If you look carefully enough in the oxbow, you'll find an explosion of Paw Paw trees as well. It's certainly the wrong time of year though.
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Post by slow_walker »

Dude, I love Paw Paws. I grew up with several trees in the backyard and my brother used to eat them like crazy. I rarely find anyone else that knows what the hell I'm talking about. Lol. I haven't seen one in YEARS.
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

Well, you have to do some searching. That is future Springfield park land. My guess is there is a 50/50 chance they'll get demolished during construction. They are on the north side of the oxbow on the inside of the bow, at least several dozen of them. Even though there are so many, they aren't the easiest to find. They are right in the middle of the trees by the bank, but they aren't close enough to the shore that you are going to see them just floating by.
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

Lol, I guess that turkey is playing chicken. Railroad bridges creep me out. When I was younger, people my age died on the south side of town on a railroad bridge, so I'm always paranoid. I was leaning toward sludging down the soggy trail, but that bridge has a good walkway. It's almost like they want you to cross. :)
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

That bridge only goes to the James River plant hauling coal (low speed), and I seem to remember seeing that it will be converted to natural gas soon. Probably a pretty safe bridge to cross.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

That walkway is awful tempting though. I figure worse case scenario, since I won't have to actually walk the tracks, is I'll get knocked into the cold water. I can handle that, being only 5 minutes from a car.

Thanks Nicotti, now I'm even more paranoid about trains. Funny how with all the other stupid stuff I do, walking railroad tracks is the hardest line for me to even approach.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Just being helpful! :wink:

But I do find it interesting that modern technology has made it easier for people to get struck by trains. The indians that would put their ears to the tracks in the wild west to hear the steam engine coming are liable to get hit these days.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

Well, the cement was just predictable pumps, but how can you know until you go. The bridge is short, and is in bad shape. Whoever maintains these things likes to just toss off the corroded pieces on the side when they've made replacements, and there is quite a bit corroded. Is this thing still used? There's even an I-Beam pushed just barely out of the way of the width of a train.

The soggy trail is extremely muddy even on this dry day, but if you wear some good gortex boots, you won't even notice. There's also a very large variety and amount of animal tracks. I'll probably take my daughter here at some point, because she loves learning which animals go to what tracks and figuring out how fast they were moving. It's not that exciting, but it's easy to get to and a nice little stroll.
Attachments
Under.jpg
Pipes.jpg
IBeam.jpg
Bridge.jpg