ULTIMATE CAVE MAP

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Re: ULTIMATE CAVE MAP

Post by jammer_smith »

Alright, major update to the Ultimate Cave map. I've come across a few more resources that gave me a lot of new locations, especialy in eastern Springfield. I've only come across these sources in the past few days, so most of the markers are still red, indicating that I havn't had time to visit them. I will update with pictures, more exact locations, and blue markers as I knock them off.

Cave Creek Pit has been renamed to Meyer Mine. Crieghton Hollow Cave has been renamed to Fishing Access cave. I have found the acutal location of Crieghton Hollow (which I had mistakening identified at the previous location) and added a red marker.

Most importantly: Given the fact that this list is getting long, and I am adding more and more locations that are private, little known, and well preserved, I am taking the map link off of the front page. Anyone needing the imforation will need to IM me.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
critter
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: ULTIMATE CAVE MAP

Post by critter »

Removing the link is a good idea. I was just recently wondering about that becoming an issue.

In regards to Devil's Slide Cave north of Springfield, a friend and I stumbled upon that cave many years ago during my college days. I marked the coordinates on my GPS and possibly uploaded the waypoint to my old laptop. Unfortunately, my laptop has since crashed, so let me do some work on my dino-top and see if I can recover the coordinates.
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

That would be great. I have a rough idea of the location, but Im sure I'd need an afternoon tramping around to find it.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
critter
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by critter »

It would be difficult to find. Bearing in mind, we were in the cover of darkness and we nearly literally stumbled across it. The entrance was located in a very atypical spot of most cave entrances. It was in the middle of the woods and there was no depression in the terrain like most sink entrances. In fact, we were looking for other caves in the area and found this one. We did not notice the entrance until we were within about ten feet. Since my memory recalls us making references to the female anatomy, the "opening" of the cave is a narrow and linear slit.
critter
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by critter »

By the way, your location of the cave on the map is VERY close to where we were bushwacking, no pun intended.
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

Today I found Gravelle Pit, which it is unlikely I'll ever get to explore, but it's still exciting to have found. It's surrounded by a heavy duty fence, and has an 83 foot vertical descent, so an intimidating approach.

I also found Snow Spring Cave, which is tiny, but did have a snapping turtle living in it who posed nice and pretty for pictures.

Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Did you move the turtle out of the way and crawl down the wet muddy passage?
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

Look at that tree begging to be tied onto so you can get down inside there!
Kit wrote:I am old
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

The turtle cave didn't really go back. I leaned in and looked. In fact its so small I wonder if there isn't another cave nearby that is snow spring cave, and that little hollow with water isn't just Snow Spring.

The pit is heavily fenced, on the property of a business that is hated after hours, and surrounded by houses. I would list this one as "with permission only"

Of course I am a good explorer, but not a ninja, and a ninja might be able to pull it off.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

on the property of a business that is hated after hours
...it's hated after hours?

damn haterz! always hating after business hours are closed!
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

Gated! damnit....

Also, I misidenitified the turtle cave, it is Ditch Cave, not Snow Cave. There are two Snow Caves nearby.
Twail Wetard
The Clit Commander
The Clit Commander

Post by Twail Wetard »

Well if its gated, it makes them haters. I knew what you meant.
THE THREAD KILLER!
Jesta
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Jesta »

(37.159851,-93.003478) A sinkhole, close to your "Panther Valley Mine" entry. Looks like it's been discussed here before too.

viewtopic.php?t=154

Not too exciting but it's big and open.
Twail Wetard
The Clit Commander
The Clit Commander

Post by Twail Wetard »

Went to the gravelly pit or what ever on sunshine... Went during business hrs, went through the gate and parked in there lot... I proceded to walk over to the fence and check it out. Nobody said anything... But Really just wanted to tell me to fuck off, needless to say that didnt happen lol JS did you get into the gated area?
THE THREAD KILLER!
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

Yeah going over there to check out the sink hole is easy, but getting in that fence would be damn near impossible without drawing attention.