ULTIMATE CAVE MAP

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
Twail Wetard
The Clit Commander
The Clit Commander

Re: ULTIMATE CAVE MAP

Post by Twail Wetard »

Hey, went to your moss cave location and it defiently isnt in that patch of woods.

Also, I visited avin sink cave today. Its 50-60ft straight down.
THE THREAD KILLER!
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

I've been meaning to get out to Avin Sink.

As far as the Moss Cave location goes, I am stabbing wildly in the dark. Until I can get some additional info I don't think I'm heading out to look for it agian. I am pretty much leaving it on the map as a note of what I do know already and so that I don't forget.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

RE: ULTIMATE CAVE MAP

Post by liesreality »

Me and my g/f went to a few of caves today. Thanks to the map and help from Twailwizard, we were able to find some of them today with no trouble. We even ran into a bear, LOL.

Excellent map!!!! We will be checking out some more in the future. :D
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

If you are looking to make a day out of caving, then I would recomend three different approches. The first approach is the Cave Tour, and the second is the Big Cave, and the last is the Cave Hunt.

1st- The Cave Tour

80% of the caves are relativly small. I would recomend mapping out a tour of some of the shorter ones in the same area and doing a big multiple cave tour of the area.

A North Springfield Cave Tour would include the Valley Water Mill Park, The Lost Hill, and maybe Ritter Spring. Between these three locations you'd see nearly 10 caves and have some good hiking/climbing.

An Eastern Springfield Cave Tour would hit Nixon Cave, Crighton Spring Canyon, and Sequiota Park. 5 caves

A south eastern tour would include Winoka, Hall of Fame Caves, Highway 65 Cave, The Nature Center (with river hidaway and river hidaway cave), and Light Tunnel Cave. 6 caves.

A south Western tour would include Ward Cave 1 and 2, WTF Farm, Chase Sink, Eeri Street Sink, Ward Spring Cave, Zio's Pit, and the South Campbell Sink Line. 6 caves.

2nd: The Big Cave

In this approch you pick a decent cave that will take an hour or more to explore and maybe has a nice drive to get to, or some pretty countryside around to hike on, and you make a trip out of the one cave. Caves on my map that would do well for this are:

Case's Cave
Siphon Spring Cave
Skylight Cave/Ash Grove Cave
Fitzpatrick Cave

3rd- The Cave Hunt

Greene County has over 400 caves in it. I think i'm doing a pretty good job cataloging those I can with limited land access and virtually no resources, but obviously there are a lot more. Consider this. There is almost no spot in all of Greene county where you can stand that doesn't have a cave within a mile.

One of my favorite past times is to take a whole day of beautiful weather, check out some topographic maps for likly spots, and go cave hunting. You will enjoy the outdoors and maybe find a cave to boot. I also often find awesome things like abandoned farm houses, springs canyons, old mines, quarries, fossil beds, wildlife, ect. that make me happy I went out even if I don't find a cave.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

Post by liesreality »

Good advice. :D Yes, we have came across places (abandoned) in our search for other places before. Definately makes it nicer, and doesnt feel like a such a waist of a day. :D
critter
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by critter »

Just like to mention that this thread has been one of the most interesting threads in quite awhile.
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

Post by liesreality »

I agree, it is definately a very useful tool that jammersmith has came up with.

Someone mentioned on one of the other posts about coming up with a map that we all could pinpoint places we have been on it. I think that idea would be great also. :D
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: RE: ULTIMATE CAVE MAP

Post by Nicotti »

liesreality wrote:Someone mentioned on one of the other posts about coming up with a map that we all could pinpoint places we have been on it. I think that idea would be great also. :D
Actually that would be a bad idea, cause those places would then see an upswing in traffic and end up getting shuttered or watched and ruined for us all.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

Post by liesreality »

Good point.

The downside is people seldom post any new areas. I know there is only so many areas, but some of the places that look cool are listed by members that are no longer posting on the site.

On the plus side I have met some of the members on this site and have made it a day worth of exploring with members on here. I am always eager to meet up with people and explore new places, and show them places maybe they havent been. :D Also, on the plus side is i have met people at winoka and other places who have told me they found the places from this site or other sites. I ended up speaking with them and learning new locations. So it was a win, win.

Also worth noting is that the cave map Jammersmith posted, as someone mentioned above has made this one of the more interesting threads i have read on the site in a very long time as far as exploring goes. :D

I agree that bad people will ruin it, but i think bad people will always find out eventually.

I agree with your point Nicotti, but it sure would be much easier and nicer to explore places that were listed with locations.

I am not beyond telling anyone where a place is that i know of. Some members even if you ask them wont say, or my favorite is they claim to know where something is, but when you press them, they have no idea. :wink:
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

I will admit that I was mixed on the cave map, I am all to aware of the potential risks. I am almost 100% certain that when leave the Springfield area I will remove the link from this site, but still keep the map up. its privatly listed so only those who are given the link can access it.

so yeah, save the url before July.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

where did you say you were moving to in July? St Louis? or did you not say?

-Ayn Rand
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

Yup, st Louis. lots of exploration potential up there. maybe ill outgrow it someday, but not likley. when I was little, and my mom asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I would smile and say " An Explorer!"

turns out that "explorer" isn't a real career, but it makes for a hell of a hobby.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Well drop me a pm once you get up here and settled in, I try and go explore something every weekend. :D

-Ayn Rand
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

I'll keep it in mind. Thanks
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

Post by liesreality »

I saved the link. :D

I think its silly to have to remove it, but its up to you. :)