Post by redox »

This is my take on it:

White Rabbit wrote:Welcome back. Find some cool stuff and tell us about it :P
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: wonder cave

Post by Nicotti »

I dotted about where the road should be according to the topo.

More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

That's looks right Nic. The road down to the cave from Wallace Ln looks to be more or less an atv trail now, and you would need to drive through pvt property past a trailor to get to it that way.
Twail Wetard
The Clit Commander
The Clit Commander

RE: wonder cave

Post by Twail Wetard »

so, i just came to an excellent deduction while reading a cave book. It says the cave has been owned by the wallace family and is still to this day(older book though) the name of that rd to the cave is wallace lane... the books also says that it originally had a different rd that lead to the cave and later on the wallaces built a road that went near their house, i think thats the rd we can see on the topo and google earth today. Thinking about just tryin to ask them about it first and maybe so history on it and maybe theyll let me check it out and take me right to it? Anybody had any luck doing it the legal way first or should i just go balls deep in this things fart box?
THE THREAD KILLER!
colony
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by colony »

I vote for fart box.
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

colony wrote:I vote for fart box.
+1 bring DEET. The stairs may not be there any longer, so maybe some vertical gear too. Though I suspect there may at least be a ladder there.
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

Ask first. I would like at least one legal success story*.

*It seems that most people who own cool shit are crazy morons who either don't allow anyone in, or only allow people in under stupid circumstances.
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

crazydrummerdude wrote:Ask first.
no don't...sheesh*
Twail Wetard
The Clit Commander
The Clit Commander

Post by Twail Wetard »

+1 bring DEET. The stairs may not be there any longer, so maybe some vertical gear too. Though I suspect there may at least be a ladder there.

yeah stairs are prolly rotted away, it closed in 1950. Who knows if the entrance is still there it was housed over and the opening was manmade so it could be totally fucked in 60 years. Maybe they had a metal ladder inside, hopefully? Kinda thought id ask about it first, the people that live there are 65-75 with 2 older sons maybe theyd be wiling to talk about it and know about the present condition...
THE THREAD KILLER!
wutherhi
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: wonder cave

Post by wutherhi »

There is an Ozark Wonder Cave near Noel / Elk Springs / Ginger Blue, Missouri. It was at a place called Witt's Resort. We used to go there when I was young (60s 70s) and once toured the cave. From the little description I see here, it sounds like the same place -- onyx outcropping, "bottomless pit."

At the time, the cave was completely non-commercialized. They took people on tours for a few dollars, but most of the cave was unexplored. I poked my head into a hole, and they mentioned that approximately 20,000 bats called the cave home.

The people who owned Witt's Resort lived across the road from the cave and blew the cool air into their house across the road with a box fan (dusty as hell, but the coolness was fabulous before everyone had a/c).

Last time we were there (2012), there were no signs or markings of any kind that the place had ever existed. A few years before that, we found it (old sign, now gone) and were able to drive through the resort, but the place was completely abandoned.

You can find a little bit about the cave online and in Missouri history/cave history books. Here are a couple of links, just to prove that the cave exists there -

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/o ... o-brochure

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14937687@N08/5718988822/

Shari