backcountry app.

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
Twail Wetard
The Clit Commander
The Clit Commander

backcountry app.

Post by Twail Wetard »

Anybody have the backcountry app? Its a location type app that will show aerial maps and topos. But what i like about it is that it gives me gps cordinates and i can also plot and save locations. The nice part is you downlod free maps of the apecific location that u want and you can then use this when exploring. It says it doesnt rely on normal cell towers and uses satelites instead so you get reception for the gps everywhere i guess. I havent tested it out much except for plotting locations and downloading maps, so i dont know how accurate it is. but hey i figured id share somebody might be interested.
THE THREAD KILLER!
Freak
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

RE: backcountry app.

Post by Freak »

I've got Backcountry Navigator, I liked it so much that I paid for the full version. If your phone has a GPS reciever (most modern ones do), then it doesn't need a cell connection. You can download the maps while you're on a Wifi or USB connection, and even bulk-download certain areas, so like you said, you don't need a data connection. You can also display gpx files, which can be made from Google Earth kml files.
Twail Wetard
The Clit Commander
The Clit Commander

Post by Twail Wetard »

yep i went ahead and bought the full version, the 10 bucks seems well worth it for all that it can do. I just need to figure out how to put all thoes functions to use. Also in the topo maps i have found several cave locations on this too...
THE THREAD KILLER!
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Re: backcountry app.

Post by redox »

Is that just for android?
White Rabbit wrote:Welcome back. Find some cool stuff and tell us about it :P
Twail Wetard
The Clit Commander
The Clit Commander

Post by Twail Wetard »

not sure... thats what i have it on.
THE THREAD KILLER!
Freak
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Freak »

It looks like it will do Windows Mobile as well. http://www.backcountrynavigator.com/

There's a few other Windows-based apps that do the same thing, I remember the days before smartphones and "apps", when I had to download Shareware gps programs for my old pocketPC :-P

Transferring from Google Earth to GPX format can be done here: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/gpsbabel/

And you can get topos on Google Earth too. I use them all the time, although the network link has been getting flakey lately and just showing a white overlay.
http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives ... map_i.html
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Re: backcountry app.

Post by redox »

wow those GE topos are cool, thanks!

I just got an !Phone. The topo maps app is fantastic.
White Rabbit wrote:Welcome back. Find some cool stuff and tell us about it :P