City property question

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

City property question

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

Okay, so there's a site I want to go to that is owned by the city. I dont think there's any fences or anything, and it's near an industrial park that hasn't quite been developed so it's really just a cul de sac surrounded by woods.

Anyway, my question is, if one were to go into those woods, would I need to obtain permission to do so, and if so who do I ask? OR is all city property like a public park and it's fair game if it's undeveloped land?
CaveGirl
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

RE: City property question

Post by CaveGirl »

You're not asking the right question. What you SHOULD be asking is:

1) What are the chances of getting caught?

2) Are there "No Tresspassing" signs posted?

3) If there are "No Tresspassing" signs can they be easily removed & discarded?

4) Can I get away with playing stupid if the cops do show up?

5) If playing stupid fails, can I afford bail/have someone willing to bail me out?

5) Are there cameras?

6) If so, can I feasibly disable them?

7) If I can't feasibly disable the cameras, is something about me memorable enough that a ski mask & all black clothing can't hide?

8) If the thought of looking like a Ninja while sneaking around makes me too paranoid, can I get away with wearing regular clothes with a baseball cap pulled low on my face?

9) What are the odds of witnesses?

10) If there's a good chance of being seen, would the person/people give a fuck & report me or talk to the cops if they showed?

All of the above questions are voided if you're an Olympic runner because nobody's going to be able to keep up with your ass as you hightail it out of there.
CaveGirl
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Re: City property question

Post by CaveGirl »

I don't why in the hell that sunglass wearing dude showed up, I put an 8.

I also don't know the answer to your question & Google seems useless. Call the city a week or two before your trip & see what they say.
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

8 and ) is the sunglasses guy. 8)
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

obtain permission to go into some woods owned by the city? wtf why? I doubt you would be given permission unless you had a valid reason to be there. City hall doesn't hand out permission slips to to Urban Explorers. I would think city property is off limits unless it's a designated park or the like.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

for this particular case it's to look for those indian mounds I posted about earlier, they are in an undeveloped patch of land owned by the city, and I got to thinking if one were to ask about browsing around the land for local archaeological/geological purposes, who would one ask? Who is "the city?"
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

I AM.

8)
CaveGirl
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by CaveGirl »

crazydrummerdude wrote:8 and ) is the sunglasses guy. 8)
Well shit. Outsmarted by a smilie yet again.
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

Oh, doing shovel tests or the like is illegal without a PhD on hand. But surface scouting without picking shit up (just flagging), or looking for mounds is ok. Contact the top Anthro./Archeaology professor specializing in new world cultures at UM with your thoughts. If you are a student there, and in geosciences, that person may willing to organize a survey if they feel it's worth a look. Many digs are the result of tips from peeps who stumble upon artifacts or features.

Common dude you are a damn trespa..ahem ..explorer and you know it. Go look tomorrow. If you find mounds or see anything interesting. Contact the Anthro department.
CaveGirl
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by CaveGirl »

Just take your ass out there & explore like the the proud trespasser you're supposed to be! You're a smart guy, you know how to play dumb if you get caught up. Make us all proud.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

You guys make it sound like I haven't been there yet...
You should know me better

Since parking is limited and unless I walk, I will probably get the attention of the local police, who obviously dont have much else to do when they snag someone for riding a bike while intoxicated. I guess that counts as DUI?
colony
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by colony »

Contact UMSL's Anthropology department. http://www.umsl.edu/divisions/artscience/anthro/ They have specific faculty and studies dedicated to the area.

That said, I hope you find them, not that it'll make a damn bit of difference. Just look into Fenton and Wal-mart.. they literally destroyed mounds and graves without any regard to the artifacts to build a super Wal-mart. Dumbfucks.
Robzilla
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Robzilla »

You can get a DUI on a bike? Well slap me silly and call me Susan, that's going to be a big lifestyle change for me.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

Re: RE: City property question

Robzilla wrote:You can get a DUI on a bike? Well slap me silly and call me Susan, that's going to be a big lifestyle change for me.
Well Susan, apparently they can and will, and they also are cracking down on those evildoing jaywalkers. Several students have gotten $30 tickets for making a beeline to class instead of walking around in right angles everywhere to hit the crosswalks.
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Re: RE: City property question

PANIC! on the Titanic wrote:Several students have gotten $30 tickets for making a beeline to class instead of walking around in right angles everywhere to hit the crosswalks.
Fo rizzle?

I use crosswalks about 10% of the time.