Ozark Iron Works furnace stacks

Urban exploration in Missouri
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

Ozark Iron Works furnace stacks

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

So the past couple days my gf and I have been walking down the train tracks from Rolla into oblivion. A couple miles outside of Newberg, we came across some weird ass structures resembling Mayan temples or something. Having no idea what they were, we explored them, snagged some pics, climbed all over them and moved on.

Flash forward to just now. In coincident conversation with drummerdude, he mentioned the Ozark Iron Works and sent me some link that I glanced over, and noticed that the description on this historic places registry application directly matched that of the temples. We had stumbled into the furnaces of the iron works, which operated in the mid 1870's. These were by far the bitchinest furnace stack I'd ever seen.

Check it:

Furnaces as we approach from the tracks

From the front:

Looking in through the main archway on the east side

Standing inside the main archway, showing keystone and a precariously placed block of sandstone.

Looking up through the smoke stack

View of top of structure

Also about 200 feet east of the furnaces were the ruins of a brick building, which served as the iron works store, eventually burning in 1968.

Around back

Pretty cool stuff. Many thanks to drummerdude for the registry link, found here
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Re: Ozark Iron Works furnace stacks

Post by crazydrummerdude »

Holy shit! I had no idea they were so big! (That's what she said, maybe.)

I gotta go there. I also gotta go to the Maramec Spring Park (the site of the original Maramec Iron Works). Ozark Iron Works was kinda the last attempt at the James family (of St. James (yes, they named it after themselves)) prosperity, but they spread their resources too thin and folded shortly thereafter.

I am a little obsessed with brewery cellars and iron foundries. I picked up a book (Frontier Iron: The Maramec Iron Works 1826- 1876 by James D. Norris) from the Rolla used book store all about these foundries. Excellent score on my part.

They are also mentioned in this famous (to me) rollanet article.. http://www.rollanet.org/~conorw/cwome/article16.htm

Where you and your woman were standing was ~2700 degrees Fahrenheit ~140 years ago. :D
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

and powered but hand cut wood no chain saws no trucks just back breaking hard work
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Post by slow_walker »

That is really cool. Also really cool that you have a gf who is willing to do these types of things and not be too girlie.
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

oh cool!
White Rabbit wrote:Welcome back. Find some cool stuff and tell us about it :P
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

oh cool!
White Rabbit wrote:Welcome back. Find some cool stuff and tell us about it :P
cmburn01
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Ozark Iron Works furnace stacks

Post by cmburn01 »

Wow that is a hell of a find!!
CaveGirl
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by CaveGirl »

slow_walker wrote:That is really cool. Also really cool that you have a gf who is willing to do these types of things and not be too girlie.
Hey now, not all females are all girlie & shit. Some of like to explore & get dirty, sometimes more so than our guy friends :D. I'm much more "manly" than my best (male) friend who's living with us now :D.

You guys should check out the old Hamilton Iron Works sometime if you're in the Sullivan area. I have pics somewhere but hell if I can find them. They're probably on my old computer or something.
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

Amazing find, very cool!
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
graffitifetish
Miss Silver Lining
Miss Silver Lining

Post by graffitifetish »

CaveGirl wrote:
slow_walker wrote:That is really cool. Also really cool that you have a gf who is willing to do these types of things and not be too girlie.
Hey now, not all females are all girlie & shit. Some of like to explore & get dirty, sometimes more so than our guy friends :D.
I'm pretty sure that pokey, as a fellow female explorer, is aware of that fact. I think she's just saying it's nice he's with a girl who is cool and shares his interests or is at least willing to check them out, since plenty of people who like to explore can sometimes find themselves dating someone who doesn't.
slow_walker

Post by slow_walker »

graffitifetish wrote:
CaveGirl wrote:
Hey now, not all females are all girlie & shit. Some of like to explore & get dirty, sometimes more so than our guy friends :D.
I'm pretty sure that pokey, as a fellow female explorer, is aware of that fact. I think she's just saying it's nice he's with a girl who is cool and shares his interests or is at least willing to check them out, since plenty of people who like to explore can sometimes find themselves dating someone who doesn't.
Bullseye!
CaveGirl
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by CaveGirl »

slow_walker wrote:
graffitifetish wrote:
CaveGirl wrote: Hey now, not all females are all girlie & shit. Some of like to explore & get dirty, sometimes more so than our guy friends :D.
Bullseye!
Hmm...I can't really think of a way to explain what I actually meant by that without writing a long explanation & looking like an even bigger jackass.

I know pokey is female and I'm sure that is what she's saying. She's right.
slow_walker

Post by slow_walker »

CaveGirl wrote:
slow_walker wrote:
graffitifetish wrote: I'm pretty sure that pokey, as a fellow female explorer, is aware of that fact. I think she's just saying it's nice he's with a girl who is cool and shares his interests or is at least willing to check them out, since plenty of people who like to explore can sometimes find themselves dating someone who doesn't.
Bullseye!
Hmm...I can't really think of a way to explain what I actually meant by that without writing a long explanation & looking like an even bigger jackass.

I know pokey is female and I'm sure that is what she's saying. She's right.
I wasn't worried about. I didn't interpret it wrong because I didn't interpret it at all. :)