Texas International Flight 655

Urban exploration in Arkansas
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Re: Texas International Flight 655

Post by crazydrummerdude »

Aluminum and steel don't just "decay away" in 40 years.
arkie 123
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by arkie 123 »

The plane was found by student pilot from Mena Ar. I lived at Waldron at the time. I was among the first to get to the site since I knew the area so well. If you ever see something like this you will never forget it. I always thought one person might have lived for a short time after the crash. Several of the bodies looked to be moved to the same place. Some where still in their seats. Some body parts where never found. Clothes and suitcases in the trees. The Army took over for a while since they had two people on the plane. One strange thing, there was thousands of drill bits around the area. There are several small plane crashes still in those parts,
VBJag
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by VBJag »

Drill bits? I think between this and Rich Mountain there are 30+ wrecks?

Interesting about the bodies. I have a feeling if you really start to dig around the wreck you'll probably find remains. It's a humbling experience.

One thing I could not find was the cockpit or any sign of mechcanical gauges, instruments, etc. And it appears other people have visited the sites. Flaps, etc have been raised and lowered. I'm sure that's not something wind could do.
arkie 123
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by arkie 123 »

The drill bits had to be cargo. They where all the same size. When you went to the site., Did use the road that ended by a small pond. There used to be a decent road up that far. The plane was straight up from there. Side note. Down below that pond in the flat part there a several concrete small bunkers out in the woods. There are about 100 yards apart. The CCC guys used them to keep TNT and Nitro in. Neat. I found a old nitro bottle. The bottom was rounded , I guess so you could set them down. I did have a breaker panel from the plane, part of a prop and the captains hat. Body parts? I don't know but about a year after the crash. We found a sock with the remains of a foot. There was a web site Wreck chasers that had a lot of info on that crash and other. I live in Eureka Springs now but if I get back down that way? I tell you and show you some really neat places.
VBJag
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by VBJag »

I came around a dirt road on the north side of the mountain. Found a place to park and just made my own trail up to the top.

That's cool about the bunkers, would have had no clue something like that existed!
itcantbestephen
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: Texas International Flight 655

Post by itcantbestephen »

Do you still have the coordinates to this site? I'm in LR and I frequent the north east parts of the Ouachitas (Lake Sylvia, Flatside Pinnacle, Lake Winona etc).

Very cool pictures too. Looks pretty eerie.
m0ridin
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by m0ridin »

Just now read this thread, excellent pictures - thanks for sharing. The time of year they were taken probably added to the 'eerie' factor :)
construct_this
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by construct_this »

I am going to Arkansas soon. Does anyone have the coordinates? My family is full of pilots and this would be very interesting... As a child, believe it or not my father and I were the first people to respond two different plane crashes...
kove
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by kove »

I'm new to this site. i thought i would post about flight 655. I became interested after reading this thread about the crash and had to see it for myself. unfortunately it took to separate attempts to find it. On the first attempt the weather was so bad we had to leave but the second attempt was a success and was well worth the effort. thanks for the information.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

ahoy hoy new person. :)
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
RXGT
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by RXGT »

Thats awsome I would love to go there to bad I dont have a car :cry:
HOBBIT
bugo
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by bugo »

There have been several planes that have crashed into the mountains near Mena. Pilots who are not familiar with the area have no idea how tall the mountains are. Most of the crash sites have been cleaned up, but the one you went too was too secluded to clean up.
bugo
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by bugo »

There are some bunker type buildings at the end of the road that goes to Eagle Mountain near Shady, south of Mena. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures.
kale.holland
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by kale.holland »

Hey do you still have the location of the plane? Or does anyone else?
hogtexan
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by hogtexan »

Excellent post with great photos!! Thanks for sharing