Storm Sewer Tunnels in North Downtown Tulsa

Urban exploration in Oklahoma
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Storm Sewer Tunnels in North Downtown Tulsa

Post by Fiend »

I have been meaning to post this for awhile. I explored these tunnels about a year ago. They start from the 11th street bridge and head north east. I'm not sure exactly where they go from there, but I believe they may go under the brady district. They appear to be very old, especialy since part of them are made out of brick. I havent explored them all the way since one tunnel started to get very small, so I headed back. One of the other tunnels I did not explore all the way, so who knows where it goes... There were a few large rooms where the tunnels split off. It would appear that hardly anyone has been in these since there was no graffiti. I only found a few markings of some other explorers dated in 97'. These tunnels were pretty cool, especially since I stumbled on them by accident. Which makes me think there are still more tunnels in downtown Tulsa that I have yet to find.
Attachments
STP60658-2.jpg
STP60654-2.jpg
STP60644-2.jpg
STP60633-2.jpg
STP60626-2.jpg
STP60621-2.jpg
Klobbrus
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Storm Sewer Tunnels in North Downtown Tulsa

Post by Klobbrus »

Greetings all!

Those storm sewers were awesome! There were many large 'rooms' where different pipes intersected! Here's a few pics!

Attachments
Down we go!
Down we go!
Always mark your finds!
Always mark your finds!
In case of emergency, use more bullets!
Klobbrus
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Klobbrus »

The tunnels shown here just kept going on and branching off! After exploring for hours (in the pitch black, mind you) there was no end in sight!

Always great to find new crawl spaces!
In case of emergency, use more bullets!
omicron
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by omicron »

Spring break is coming up soon. I hope I can convince my fiancee to want to go to Tulsa!
Freak
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Freak »

I fucken love it! Old tunnels hitting new tunnels, crazy shapes, breakage, junction rooms, totally sweet!

Any remote chance of intersecting with the mines under Tulsa, or are they super deep?
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: RE: Storm Sewer Tunnels in North Downtown Tulsa

Post by Fiend »

Freak wrote:Any remote chance of intersecting with the mines under Tulsa, or are they super deep?
I have wondered that myself. There are a few different mines in Tulsa, have yet to find an entrance into them. Although I think it would be highly unlikely that storm sewers would some how tie into mines. And these tunnels are too far west of where the mines are. There is another tunnel system south of this one that I havent explored yet, and I would suspect it would be very similar in design and age. There are other storm sewers that I have maps of that should be very close to the mines. I have no Idea how deep the mines are, but I would assume they are several hundred feet deep since they are coal mines. To my knowledge, the deepest storm sewers in Tulsa are 60ft underground, and they arent close to any of the mines.
Freak
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Freak »

Coal mines aren't always deep, it depends on the geology of the area. Bellingham Washington has coal mine tunnels 30ft under downtown, they're always having problems with buildings settling and basements breaking into tunnels.

I guess you'd have to go to the local city archives, or the geological survey, to find out specifics on Tulsa's mines. Tell them that you or a relative wants to buy a house, and is curious what areas have mines, how deep they are, and if detailed maps exist.

A good excuse to ask for the detailed maps: You know home prices are low in X neighborhood because of general mine danger, but if there's no mine workings directly under a specific house, it's still worth buying.
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Re: Storm Sewer Tunnels in North Downtown Tulsa

Post by Kit »

i drove though tulsa today .. its looking very run down and tired. Like it was stuff in the 70s and cant pull out. :(
Kit wrote:I am old
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

So, you tag the places you go?
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Fiend »

crazydrummerdude wrote:So, you tag the places you go?
Yes, but only in storm sewers. I would never tag anything of value or deface property. Storm sewers, are, well just sewers... I even sometimes spray paint directions inside tunnels for other fellow explorers. And mark known manholes, so that you know where your gonna pop up when you open one up from the inside. I have had a couple of close calls by almost being decapitated by a car from opening a manhole that I had no idea opened up to. Stupid I know, but it goes with the territory.
dsx189
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by dsx189 »

hey i was wondering if you could give more exact directions. by the eleventh street bridge do you mean the one that crosses the river at riverside or something else. and do you have to go own a manhanole and if so where in the street is it? thanks.
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: RE: Storm Sewer Tunnels in North Downtown Tulsa

Post by Fiend »

dsx189 wrote:hey i was wondering if you could give more exact directions. by the eleventh street bridge do you mean the one that crosses the river at riverside or something else. and do you have to go own a manhanole and if so where in the street is it? thanks.
Yeah, the bridge that goes over the river. You have to go in through a manhole. Im gonna pm you the exact directions.
alyybee
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by alyybee »

These are the tunnels I tried to find yesterday! My friend and I ended up walking for HOURS, and although it was still an adventure, I still wish we found them. 11th and Riverside? Impossible to find. There is a hospital where it should be. Any advise?
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Fiend »

alyybee wrote: Any advise?
Yeah, just ask me before you go walking around aimlessly :lol: I'm one of the very few people in Tulsa that knows where these tunnels are, along with many other tunnels.
Modernjoker
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Modernjoker »

I made a stab at this tunnel system earlier tonight, and it was great. I'll definatelly need to get a better pair of boots before I make a second trip, because mine are apparently only water resistant, and one can only trudge on with soaked feet for so long. If anyone else is planning a trip to these tunnels in the near future, send me a pm, and maybe we can go explore as a group.
ಠ_ಠ {Can't stop what you can't see} ಠ_ಠ