Train Hopping

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
The Count
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Re: Train Hopping

Post by The Count »

They sit there cuz they have a red light, Most likley a P light and they half to wait, for another train to come, to pass them cuz that train has priority over there train so they wait till it passes then they can go.

When they get out of the train and leave thats because they're hours are up, they are only allowed to work like 12 hours at a time then they get an 8 hour break so when they are at a light and they have 12 hours in, the van picks them up and takes them back to their cars, or if they're on the road a hotel and then another van brings another crew to replace them

And dude sunday I got on a BNSF train, went inside the cab and saw everything and was in there for a while that was sweet LoL, and I know pretty much every button and lever so I could so drive that train easily so lets steal one when we go LoL jk but I jumped about 10-15 trains sunday in downtown just playin around down on the railroad tracks, LoL I had a lot of fun, its basically like a big playground to me. I figured get a little more train jumpin in before we go for the huge trip.
FiReDiVeR
I Need A Title!
I Need A Title!

Post by FiReDiVeR »

I was a locomotive engineer for about 6 years, so I know all about trains. First off the red handle is the air brake control, second, trains left sitting on the tracks unmanned are 99% of the time just waiting to be recrewed. The DOT regulates the "hours of service" allowed to be on duty 12 hrs max on duty time. One important thing to remember is that all railroad property and equipment is considered Federal property, even though it is actually owned by the RR(union pacific, BNSF, CSX, KCS, CN, etc.) they are a government controlled entity. Good ol Government!!!

Any other questions?
Twail Wetard
The Clit Commander
The Clit Commander

Post by Twail Wetard »

Yeah, what's the penalty for getting caught for hopping a train and what will they do if they catch you? Why only 6yrs laid off?
THE THREAD KILLER!
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

i think the just shoot you but i could be wrong
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
The Count
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by The Count »

Panic you ready to go on this trip or you wimpin out?
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

Those who've explored with me know I do not wimp out, in fact I challenge myself and others with various activities.
However, I unfortunately do not have the freedom of a vagrant and have a lifestyle that lets me gallivant about wherever fate takes me. Otherwise, I'd be all over the place.
To more directly answer your question, yeah I'm in when life and school and work and planets all align and say all systems go. Then, much fun will be had. It will happen my friend, verily it will happen.
enon
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: Train Hopping

Post by enon »

The Count wrote:take the jeff city line
anyone ever done this? any stories or advice perhaps?
Rosie Cheeks
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Rosie Cheeks »

I've never considered train hopping before....sounds exciting! Unless, of course, I jumped into a train filled with hobos.
Cursed with brains..
STLBull
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by STLBull »

Ok, wow.

I have 20 years in the rail industry. There is a lot of mis info (and some good stuff) in this thread.

First thing...DO NOT jump a train. Just don't do it. No thrill is worth being dead or maimed. If a train runs over your arm they cannot reattach it. The width of the wheel smashes and sometimes cauterizes the bone/skin. No plug and play deal there. It's gone.

i can tell you numerous horror stories of finding tresspassers (standard RR term for anyone on or around the tracks) cut in two or missing limbs. But you'll have to buy me beer for that. And bring your checkbook cause I'm thirsty.

That being said....if the train itself doesn't kill you the bulls will. As stated, they will shoot first and ask if you're still alive later. Let me ask a question...see many rail yards in the 'burbs or nicer areas of towns? No? So now you have your answer on why you may take some lead from the RR dicks.

Arrest you? Certainly. These guys have nothing else to do and now it's a Federal offense and a felony in some cases. I personally filed Federal charges on the Mayor of East Moline, Il when he held up train traffic at a crossing.

You wanna go south and or west? BN will take you right down 44. UP also or you may end up in Memphis. NS will get you to KC along w the UP. Norht and east? BN goes up the river to West Quincy and who the hell wants to go east?

When the crews stop and get off the train they are through w/ their trip. Rarely do they get off and eat. The train (hopefully) is secure and will not move. Yeah, you may know what all the levers do but unless they left the reverser and you know where to put it then keep your hands on your own lever. Do not try to move a train. Once you move you then you have to stop it right? Know how to do that? Didn't think so. A train moved when it wasn't supposed to and damn near wiped out a town earlier this year.

If you want to play w trains they are hiring like crazy. Go north. They can't get enough people in the Dakotas to run the trains right now. Those cats are pulling down bucks like mad. What? Don't want to be away from STL? Who cares? Half the time you'll sleeping in a hotel 250 miles away or you're home sleeping waiting for the phone to ring again. Five years up there and you'll be sitting on a pile.

Basically, sack up and get a job on the RR before you go putting other people's lives in danger. I'm not too concerned w your life, if you're stupid enough to play around the tracks then you don't deserve to muddy up the gene pool anyway.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

STLBull wrote: First thing...DO NOT jump a train.
Too late
STLBull wrote:Just don't do it
Already did
STLBull wrote: i can tell you numerous horror stories of finding tresspassers (standard RR term for anyone on or around the tracks) cut in two or missing limbs. But you'll have to buy me beer for that. And bring your checkbook cause I'm thirsty.
A guy in rolla last year was sliced in half because he jumped between the cars like a moron while it was rolling through town. Nobody saw him until the next train came and called it in as a Halloween prank. Sure enough, it cauterized his torso shut. Another guy a few years back was standing too close when a train came by and got his legs ripped out and died later. I talked to an EMS guy I know who was on both those scenes. Pretty gnarly.

Yes, I am aware of the risks. There are no major yards within 100 miles of rolla so who cares about bulls, and I dont ride more than a few miles at a time, and that's only when the train is going slow enough I can run and catch the back of the last car. That way, if I do somehow trip or be physically retarded, the most that happens is I eat some ballast and lose a train. If I could, I'd have a fistfight on top of a speeding circus train where the lions roam free and I could fall into their car at any time.
STLBull wrote:Do not try to move a train. Once you move you then you have to stop it right? Know how to do that?
no
STLBull wrote:Didn't think so.
Fucking mind reader

STLBull wrote:Basically, sack up and get a job on the RR before you go putting other people's lives in danger. I'm not too concerned w your life, if you're stupid enough to play around the tracks then you don't deserve to muddy up the gene pool anyway.
I like you; you seem nice and not the least bit bitter.
STLBull
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by STLBull »

I like you, you're gonna make a good story one of these days.

Not bitter just trying to pass things on. And if you're stupid enough to do something after you've admitted that you know the risks then there isn't much help for you.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

I have been known to take calculated risks, and I usually come back alive with fun stories that makes my mother shudder with distress. Then again, the whole idea of this forum is based on risks to life and personal liberty (i.e. staying out of jail). There's doing stupid things, but then there's doing stupid things with tact. I believe I fall into the latter category based on previous experiences.

What good is life if you aren't putting it in constant jeopardy?
STLBull
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by STLBull »

I agree, to a point.

My experience has been that the numbers always catch up w you. And it is never pretty.

I would rather people say at my funeral, 'man, he was unlucky.' Rather than, 'man, he was stupid.'

But whatever.

Keep outrunning those numbers and enjoy yourself.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

STLBull wrote: My experience has been that the numbers always catch up w you. And it is never pretty.
This I agree with. I've been toning it down the past couple years, because I'm wondering how far I can push my luck before something happens.

STLBull wrote:I would rather people say at my funeral, 'man, he was unlucky.' Rather than, 'man, he was stupid.'
I'd like people to say "Man he really knew how to live life." I'd like that to be when I'm like 90 though.

One quote that has stuck with me as I carry out my various adventures:

It is not length of life, but depth of life.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
STLBull
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by STLBull »

I'd like people to say "Man he really knew how to live life." I'd like that to be when I'm like 90 though.

Two things...that NEVER happens at 90 and if you live until you're 90 how many people would still be alive knowing how you lived?