Train Hopping

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
The Count
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Re: RE: Train Hopping

Post by The Count »

PANIC! on the Titanic wrote:
The Count wrote:
PANIC! on the Titanic wrote:Yeah a I read a recent post by cousin (no promise of safety) and went to the trains section and was instantly inspired to do a long distance train hop, maybe across state and back. It's an excellent exercise in problem solving (e.g. when the train doesn't stop where you want it to.)

Could be fun or could really suck. Problem is I can't find anyone crazy (or retarded) enough to go with. Any takers?
Im with you dude

I've jumped a lot of trains, I'm obsessed with trains so I spend a lot of time down by the tracks, and whenever theres one moving at a good speed to jump I'm on that sucka.

Oh and one day I was snoopin around the East St. Louis railyard and I made it all the way back to the hump, so I was at the back of the yard, I was watchin them switch cars then I split, I was almost out and got busted by the bulls. Let me tell you from experinece your not allowed to be in a railyard at all much less go threw the whole thing like I did since 2001, so they put me in cuffs and I thankfully talked my way out of it LoL.

Yeh I jump them and take them down a few towns or for a couple hours its great. But I wanna pack my backpack and go for a week, prolly take the jeff city line and be gone for a week livin on the train, thad be so fun but everyone thinks I'm suicidal and crazy so no one will come, so PANIC I'm with you bro lets hit it you wanna?
Your timing with this post is impeccable, as I have just spent several hours the past week perusing these railhopper sites like freighthopping.com and this link to several more sites and was more and more inspired to do this. I've never hopped more than a few miles, and definitely never messed with yards or bulls before. From the what I've read in these links and in your post, bulls tend to be mostly bark and not much bite, though I'm definitely not wanting to test that theory.
I've often wondered though, after figuring out what train to take, why don't more people just hop it outside the yard while it's still going slow and they can be safe from bulls, and then hop off just before entering the yard when the train slows to either pass through or stop? That would allow avoidance of yards and their pitfalls altogether.
Aight bro you wanna hit it in the spring of 2012?

And yeh when I was little my whole room was decorated with trains I wanted to be an engineer, now that I'm older I play with the real things hehe and I scare my friends LoL but now when I talk to engineers they say to be an engineer means living out of a suitcase for half your life, so the railroad has many bad aspects to it although the pay and retirement is dope as hell.

But PM me PANIC or send me your facebook and we'll hit that up.
BRAVHART
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Train Hopping

Post by BRAVHART »

Willard wrote:By the way, if you are caught by the railroad police, there is a good possibility that they will shoot to kill.
Really? Didnt know that riding a train mean't it was okay for the railroad police to kill you. Wow/ :roll:
The Count
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: Train Hopping

Post by The Count »

Aight I'm getting really anxious.

I'm planning on what to all pack already. PANIC you still in? I'm getting way to excited for a week long trip!!!!
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

Re: RE: Train Hopping

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

The Count wrote:Aight I'm getting really anxious.

I'm planning on what to all pack already. PANIC you still in? I'm getting way to excited for a week long trip!!!!
2 - 3 days... I still gotta work.

but Hell yes!
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

Bring a knife big enough to kill sombody with. Bring No-Doz. Bring a portable water purification system. Bring an extra charged cell-phone battery.
White Rabbit wrote:Welcome back. Find some cool stuff and tell us about it :P
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

redox wrote:Bring a knife big enough... like a katana.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

Nicotti wrote:
redox wrote:Bring a knife big enough... like a katana and some shurikens.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

Train gurus, I need your infinite limited wisdom once again. A train stops in your town, you watch as the crew loads into a van, abandoning said train idling and hissing and leaving doors ajar as they drive off. Are they:
1) Changing crews
2) Getting something to eat (Do they do that? Stop at random towns when they have a sec and go eat?)
3) Staying the night at a hotel or something?

For real though, I want to know what they are doing when they just up and leave the train sitting on side tracks like that, sometimes for hours.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Train Hopping

Post by SubLunar »

Just testing you is all they're doing. They've done it to me too. Train bastards.
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

I was wondering, too. They do that in Rolla over by Old St James and 18th all the time.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

Unrelated to above

A train stopped in my town and a crew got out into a van and drove away. I figured out my camera has a night time setting that takes better-than-auto pictures. That may or may not be related to the train incident.

Hey here's some pictures:

I love locomotives. Huzzah!
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Next time, move the train down the line and wait to see their reaction when they get back.

-Ayn Rand
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

Haha you crazy fucker. That's nuts they left the train like that :shock:
White Rabbit wrote:Welcome back. Find some cool stuff and tell us about it :P
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

Nicotti wrote:Next time, move the train down the line and wait to see their reaction when they get back.
Thought about doing this, but I dont know what lever does what or how touchy they are or anything. But I did think it would be funny to move it quarter mile further down or something.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

I bet the lever with the red handle is the speed control. :wink:

-Ayn Rand