Train Hopping

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

Train Hopping

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

Has anyone on here ever hopped a train before?

I've done it a few times, either across town and between Rolla and Newburg, but nothing really long distance. Nonetheless, its a freaking thrill is what it is.

Surely some of you have awesome train hopping stories!
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Train Hopping

Post by SubLunar »

I never even rode on a train before.
cobcob
Aequitas
Aequitas

Re: Train Hopping

Post by cobcob »

I hop trains all the time. I like to wait till the hobos that are always in the freight cars fall asleep and then I shove my thumb up their arses.
GlassCurtain wrote:I like to masturbate during the sexual harassment films at work.
Pinkspider wrote:check here for geeky crotch eating goodness and crazy fake ass hair
Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

Post by Mandi Milenko »

I have never done it but I would love to find a train that runs from STL to Joplin that my mom and I can hop on and travel back and forth to see each other...
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Fiend »

Its fun as hell, but can be dangerious if you dont know what you are doing. And you can get trapped on a train for a long time if it ends up going way too fast to jump off.

I've hopped on them going around the city, where they keep there speeds down and you can jump on and off without killing yourself. Its also illegal, but who cares!
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

we used to jump the train at Audubon park and ride down to the freanch quarter where it always stopped at the warf
White Rabbit wrote:Welcome back. Find some cool stuff and tell us about it :P
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

By the way, if you are caught by the railroad police, there is a good possibility that they will shoot to kill.
clovenlife
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by clovenlife »

you won't find a train from joplin to STL. Kansas city is the country's largest train hub so anywhere around here is gonna go through KC first and then STL
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

Yeah a I read a recent post by cousin (no promise of safety) and went to the trains section and was instantly inspired to do a long distance train hop, maybe across state and back. It's an excellent exercise in problem solving (e.g. when the train doesn't stop where you want it to.)

Could be fun or could really suck. Problem is I can't find anyone crazy (or retarded) enough to go with. Any takers?
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Ahem... Springfield is also a major Railroad hub. Plenty of trains going through here and there are trains that go from here to St. Louis that don't first go to Kansas City. We also have a major line that goes to Memphis.
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Re: RE: Train Hopping

Post by Scout »

clovenlife wrote:you won't find a train from joplin to STL. Kansas city is the country's largest train hub so anywhere around here is gonna go through KC first and then STL
Really? Chicago used to be the biggest with Kansas City second. Do you know when KC passed Chicago as the largest?

I've hopped a couple back when I worked for the railroad. You'd get fired if caught. I remember hopping one and riding out to the worksite once. Sometimes it was a long walk.
"That old hag hates my ass."
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

The BNSF railroad has quite the extensive track system in the midwest, with hubs in Stl, springfield and KC in missouri. Theoretically one could hop on somewhere and head out to California.

I've been thinking about riding from Stl to Springfield, but with my luck I'd probably end up in that little bit of track that goes to Canada. I wonder if I'd need my passport on a freight train?

Here's a map of the BNSF railway through the US:

And the Union Pacific:

Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

Post by Mandi Milenko »

Hmmm....Looks like the first one has one going straight towards Joplin. I wonder if there's a stop around there?

That would be a pretty far and crazy trip..
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Post by GlassCurtain »

Well there is that cool abandoned train station in Joplin. But it was a passenger stop. That area is pretty industrial, there may be some stops there.

viewtopic.php?t=6145

I've hopped a train from Kansas City to Chicago once. But I did buy a boarding pass from amtrack first. :) Actually it was pretty fun. We were the only ones in our car. I brought the acoustic so I just sat in the back of my car and played most the trip.
“I investigate things to complete my knowledge, my complete knowledge makes my thoughts sincere, my thoughts being sincere; my heart is pure.”

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glasscurtain/
cobcob
Aequitas
Aequitas

Post by cobcob »

GlassCurtain wrote:I've hopped a train from Kansas City to Chicago once. But I did buy a boarding pass from amtrack first. :) Actually it was pretty fun. We were the only ones in our car. I brought the acoustic so I just sat in the back of my car and played most the trip.
I've ridden the AmTrack from Chi-town to KC and back. Loved it! Beat the hell out of greyhound and was less hassle than flying.
GlassCurtain wrote:I like to masturbate during the sexual harassment films at work.
Pinkspider wrote:check here for geeky crotch eating goodness and crazy fake ass hair