Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
monkey1976
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Washington Park Cemetary

Post by monkey1976 »

ropingk wrote:
t7 wrote:
Eagle90 wrote: Protestants believe in the virgin birth of Jesus Christ.
The immaculate conception is different from the virgin birth, it should be noted.
Ok Ill ask whats the diffrence------ to me immaculate conception is when the holy ghost touched Mary and she became with child and while this could happen to anyone virgin or not in this case it was a virgin who had been UNTOUCHED be man
The Immaculate Conception is the dogma that the Blessed Virgin was preserved from original sin at the time of her conception, making her "fit" for the Virgin Birth.

Can we end the theology derail and get back to the cemetery now?
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

monkey1976 wrote:Can we end the theology derail and get back to the cemetery now?
Technically after the theology derail we'd go back to the "ethics of photographing the dead" discussion. Ending that derail would get us back to the cemetry. :lol: :D
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

but it was so so much fun :shock:

ok so back to the normaly scheduled programing :lol:

What is the diffrence between a mummy and a dead boy---NOTHING
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
Eagle90
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Eagle90 »

ropingk wrote:but it was so so much fun :shock:

ok so back to the normaly scheduled programing :lol:

What is the diffrence between a mummy and a dead boy---NOTHING
Except the boy might have living relatives that knew him whereas the mummy's that are hundreds or thousands of years old don't.
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

Why can't we keep discussing religion? I mean obviously it's an inherent part of urban exploration. Immaculate conception and sloppy seconds go hand in hand with exploring.
aka "That Guy"
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Mummies don't have living relatives? Where's your proof of that?

-Ayn Rand
Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

RE: Washington Park Cemetary

Post by Mandi Milenko »

Yeah I think there's a better chance that an adult mummy who more than likely has had children to have some sort of ancestors out there than a small boy who never had kids. Sad but true. If he was an only child, there probably isn't any living family members. Who knows though. If there is family out there, they are probably distant cousins and either they don't know or don't care what happened to him.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

ropingk wrote:you know i have had arguments with PREACHErs who said they he never had any brothers and sisters
but i agree he did and Oh you are going to hell sorry lololo
It amazes me sometimes how little "religious" people know about the bible. Catholics have made the argument that the Greek word used could mean his cousins or spiritual brothers, but it is actually a pretty specific usage.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
monkey1976
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by monkey1976 »

BROUSER wrote:
ropingk wrote:you know i have had arguments with PREACHErs who said they he never had any brothers and sisters
but i agree he did and Oh you are going to hell sorry lololo
It amazes me sometimes how little "religious" people know about the bible. Catholics have made the argument that the Greek word used could mean his cousins or spiritual brothers, but it is actually a pretty specific usage.
Re-derail: The Aramaic language of the time had no word for "cousin", and all those named as "brothers" are shown as having different mothers at other points in the Gospels. Another possibility is that they're children of St. Joseph from a previous marriage.

This isn't a new question - take a look at what St. Jerome had to say on the topic back in AD383: Against Helvidius. For the record, he produced the definitive translation of Scripture that was used as the gold standard in the west for over a thousand years, so I think we can safely give him some credit in knowing what he's talking about.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Washington Park Cemetary

Post by SubLunar »

The older I get, the more annoyed I become with religiousness. I'm just glad that I was indoctrinated from a young age, so I'm thoroughly familiar with what the Bible says, which gives me an advantage over other non-religious types.

But I've grown up a lot since then and as such I don't give a flying fuck what anyone has to say about it. I make my own interpretations and use what I find logical and disregard what I find illogical.

Did Jesus have brothers? I don't care. Doesn't matter.

Was Jesus beamed down from an intergallactic spaghetti dish? Sure. Why not. Who gives a fuck?

The more I've looked into the Bible for guidance in certain troublesome issues(see also), the more contradictions I've found, which of course the pastors never talk about. Take it for what it is, but don't bother trying to take it literally 100% of the time, or you'll wind up going insane. Fuck the dogmas. Fuck the pope. That is all.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

hey Sub if you have time can you tell us how you REALLY FEEL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

being a big time church guy i some what have to agree that what is preached and taught on a lot of the times relaly make no diffrence at all I got a divorce from my wife of 34 yeras over religon she more or less told me I either did it her way or she was gone well im not giving up my belifes for any one so yep shes gone

i npersonally belive Jesus had brother and sisters I do not adheer to the point he was a PERFECT child I think he was a child who got hurt and sick just like everyone if not why bother
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

ropingk wrote:I do not adheer to the point he was a PERFECT child I think he was a child who got hurt and sick just like everyone if not why bother
There are people out there that think that Jesus being a "perfect" human being made him immune to sickness or skinning his knee or something?
That's sad, yet not really that surprising...

-Ayn Rand
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

oh i kow i have had a lot of battles over this but if that were the case that he was immuned to everything then why bother to be human and im pretty sure whan the beat him that hurt so where is the logic
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Another possibility is that they're children of St. Joseph from a previous marriage.

This isn't a new question - take a look at what St. Jerome had to say on the topic back in AD383: Against Helvidius. For the record, he produced the definitive translation of Scripture that was used as the gold standard in the west for over a thousand years, so I think we can safely give him some credit in knowing what he's talking about.
Yes, the Joseph's other kids argument. Occam's Razor comes into play here. Instead of inventing a previous wife and other kids (which are in no way mentioned ANYWHERE), or averring that these four "cousins" ran around with Jesus' mom all the time, why not just as easily assume that they were actually his brothers, and that Joseph got sloppy seconds and didn't have to give up sex for life because the big Enchilada picked his wife to be his baby-mama? This is the major problem with Christians. They decide what to believe in first and build a supporting argument later instead of looking at what the evidence supports first. Earlier Christians believed the brothers to be just that, it was only later, after the mythos of Jesus was inflated to have a broader appeal, that the doctrine of eternal virginity was created, accepted, and had to be supported.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

I honestly don't see what Jesus having siblings has to do with mankind's salvation. Since that's what the bible's about, and not "the biography of Christ" I'm not sure why people think that everything that happened in his life is going to be mentioned in there.

-Ayn Rand