CAMP SCOTT MURDERS WEBSITE

Urban exploration in Oklahoma
songdogs09
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

CAMP SCOTT MURDERS WEBSITE

Post by songdogs09 »

This has been in the works for about a year now. It took a lot of research, reading, trips to the library, asking people awkward and uncomfortable questions and even visiting the actual campgrounds a few times BUT finally I finished a website with information about the murders in 1977.

It is amazing to me that such a high profile murder (or at the time at least it was nationally high profile) has been forgotten about or people haven't told and retold the story to younger people today.

Of course the brutality of the whole thing, the innocence lost, three girls ages 8, 9 and 10 brutally murdered and sexually molested.

You can kind of understand why people don't want to pass that kind of story on to others. Especially to their children!

BUT it was a significant part of our state's history, as terrible as it was, and while this was not my most insightful finding I came across, but it was rather interesting.

It turns out that the 1977 Oklahoma Girl Scout murders have left us here in the Sooner State, with a bit of an "odd legacy", as I call it on the website.

I felt a bit morbid digging up all that I did for the site in general. At times it was literally like opening up an old would that had begun to heal. But in the back of my mind, towards the end of the building of the website something dawned on me...

I asked myself, "Had there ever been a movie made about murders taking place at a summer camp BEFORE the Camp Scott murders in 1977?"

I scoured the internet, the Internet Movie Data Base (IMDB) in particular, and found that NO! At least as far as I can find, there was not one movie made about murders at a summer camp until after 1977.

Now I hate to give horror film script writers too much credit, however, they are writers...and writers do not write their novels, poetry, newspaper articles, or....even slasher film scripts...in a vacuum.

No, in fact all artists, including these writers are influenced by the world around them and, dare I say, even inspired by the goings on in the world around them If you don't believe me watch some German cinema from the mid to late 1960's...pretty depressing stuff...

So here is the link to the site. On the navigation buttons there is one called "ODD LEGACY" and that will take you to the page about the movies.

www.girlscoutmurders.com

By the way, the first horror film made about murders at summer camp? Anyone? Anyone? Buehler?

That's right! "Friday the 13th" in 1980.

So when you figure that a writer heard about this event in eastern Oklahoma, put together a concept, then wrote a script, then pitched it to some studios, they bought it, cast it, filmed it, edited and produced it, distributed it? You're easily looking at a 3 year process from beginning to end, even with a low budget movie like this one was.

Anyway, I hope that you learn a lot more than just that about the events that summer but that genre of movies is a oddly enough, a part of Underground Ozarks...
"The truth is out there."
pixel8d
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: CAMP SCOTT MURDERS WEBSITE

Post by pixel8d »

Do you know what buildings are left there? I live in Tahlequah but am not from here. I have many friends that know all about it. One friend's grandmother has some interesting information about it that, as far as anyone knows, no law enforcement checked into. It is information that connects 2 very high profile serial killers from the same timeframe.

I would love to go out there and photograph the place if any buildings are left.
songdogs09
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by songdogs09 »

http://s925.photobucket.com/albums/ad93 ... =slideshow

That is a link to most of the photos I took out there at the camp. Getting in out there is a bit tricky because the groundskeeper is kind of a recluse. You might have other connections though.

Those pictures will explain what buildings are still standing. There are basically remains of everything still out there, some complete, some not. The only thing not out there are the platforms the tents used to be mounted on.

Most of the pictures on that link are labeled so you can know what they are.
songdogs09
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by songdogs09 »

And are the 2 people Henry Lee Lucas and Ottis Toole?

If it is that possibility was looked into later and I believe that those two were proven to be other places (Texas I think) at the time of these murders.

Tell me if there is someone else your relative is thinking about. You can send me a private message.

No doubt the alibis these two criminals had could be big fat lies.