map of mines & caves in oklahoma & Tulsa (bat habita

Urban exploration in Oklahoma
Radar
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

map of mines & caves in oklahoma & Tulsa (bat habita

Post by Radar »

I/m researching any mines or caves in the Tulsa area but any caves & mines with bat habitatss in Oklahoma would be of interest. I'm a wildlife rehabber specialty bats. I've been monitoring White Nose Syndrome a fungus that killing millions of bats up north but just last week was found in a cave in western Oklahoma at Whitlaw Ranch not far from the alibaster caverns so expect that one next. I don't know if the Tulsa area has anything that the fungus can live in it pretty specific very cool and humid. but I'd like to track the colonies in the Tulsa area to be on guard for any fungus. To treat this disease is a pain basically have to quaranteen all bats that you think might have it not to infect other bats in your care. So knowing that a colonyis in an area soem rescuer brought one in is important. Are there any maps by the usgs or anyone else to show the caves adn mines in oklahoma especially in the tulsa area thanks. One spelunker said he thought there was a colonyliving in the stormwater drains around Utica so i'll be contacting the city as well to see if they know of any too. thanks for any help the bats thank you too.
Director of FEWERR (501c3)- The Foundation for Environmental & Wildlife; Education, Research & Rehab
(OK lic wildlife rehabber specialty bats fewerr.org (all about real bats)
My Newsgroup http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BatResQ
cobcob
Aequitas
Aequitas

Re: map of mines & caves in oklahoma & Tulsa (bat ha

Post by cobcob »

While your claims seem noble you'll find it hard to get a lot of info on caves out of folks here. Your best bet will be to contact the Dept of Natural Resources or Dept. of Conservation in the appropriate state and meet with them.
We tend to be pretty close about sensitive information such as physical locations. Your old geocities website isn't up anymore, your phone number provides limited information, I could not find any permits issued to FEWERR and no rehabbers on file with wildliferehabber.org
Forgive the skepticism but as I said, we're pretty guarded with information. The DNR/DCons would be much better legitimate points of contact for you.
GlassCurtain wrote:I like to masturbate during the sexual harassment films at work.
Pinkspider wrote:check here for geeky crotch eating goodness and crazy fake ass hair
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Fiend »

cobcob wrote:While your claims seem noble you'll find it hard to get a lot of info on caves out of folks here. Your best bet will be to contact the Dept of Natural Resources or Dept. of Conservation in the appropriate state and meet with them.
We tend to be pretty close about sensitive information such as physical locations. Your old geocities website isn't up anymore, your phone number provides limited information, I could not find any permits issued to FEWERR and no rehabbers on file with wildliferehabber.org
Forgive the skepticism but as I said, we're pretty guarded with information. The DNR/DCons would be much better legitimate points of contact for you.
Well there is no pleasing you is there :)

Radar wrote:I/m researching any mines or caves in the Tulsa area but any caves & mines with bat habitatss in Oklahoma would be of interest.
Not many around here, well known anyways. There is one somewhere in Sands Springs, one on Turkey Mountain, and one in south Tulsa. I have not be able to confirm them though.

In my years of draining in Tulsa, I've only seen one bat. I see more bats along the river and downtown especially. As for the storm sewers around Utica, I dont think I have ventured into them. All known mines have been sealed off or are full of water. There is a local cave group here in Tulsa that meets up once a week in the central library I believe. I contacted them once on locations of Tulsa caves, but they only hinted that there were caves in town, wouldnt tell me where they were.
Radar
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Radar »

Yahoo took over geocities free site and wiped it out when I was overseas I'm building another one but that site was the biggest on the internet for bats. and took 15 years to set up. My license is Bruce Taylor Oklahoma I'm one of 3 bat rehabbers for the state. I've contacted the conservation departments f&G they are interested only in the endangered bats where we have 3 species but their are 22 species in Oklahoma and 14 could live in caves and mines that are crevice dwellers.

We are still getting listed with internet databases wildliferehabber.org isn't maintained I put in several requests i don't think anyone has been added in 5 years. we are located on the main bat rehabber site Amanda Lollars group
in Texas http://www/batworld.org listing http://batworld.org/local_rescue/local_rescue.html page down and click oklahoma under bat rescue for oklahoma and Sue Barnard Batline Basically Bats list http://www.basicallybats.org/rehablist.html These 2 groups have the 1000+ bat rehabbers in the world.

My corporation is Taylor Energy Advisory since 1984 petroleum Engineering 1994 we started ESSACS Environemental Safety Systems (Environmental Engineering) & Search Companies (service organization with several services to help in the above organizaitons. Fewerr is new we got the state non profit waiting on IRS to finalize. to put all these organization into one non profit organizations. I expect it to be finalized any day now.

I don't think we have any caves around here maybe some abandoned mines soem people said we have some coal mines that have been sealed up I'd guess probablyu owned by the major oil companies here. The only roost I know of is at the Univerisity they have some big browns that come into rehab every year. but the fungas can't live in a tower where they are it's to hot for it. So tulsa may not have anythign her that it could servive in I hope. The fatality rate up north is 98% and has killed about 1 million bats that's 700,000 tons of insects that won't get eaten this year. expect your food prices to go up.
Director of FEWERR (501c3)- The Foundation for Environmental & Wildlife; Education, Research & Rehab
cobcob
Aequitas
Aequitas

Post by cobcob »

Thanks Bruce. I'm sure you can understand the hesitancy! Good luck in your endeavors. I would also recommend contacting USGS mapping and GIS group. They have a lot of historical maps on file that show more geographic features than the current ones do. They'll scan them and upload to an .ftp site free of charge if you ask them to. Definitely worth getting in touch with NSS and any local grottos too.
GlassCurtain wrote:I like to masturbate during the sexual harassment films at work.
Pinkspider wrote:check here for geeky crotch eating goodness and crazy fake ass hair
Radar
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Radar »

I'm on a news group called trogtalk it's local spelunker group. caves in tulsa that's' interesting but unless they are manmade I can't think of any structure we have here. we have some hills around here. I heard many years ago turkey mountain had caves very small ones. sounded more like gopher holes. When I worked for sun oil I worked with USGS quit a bit looking for new oil sites. ahve to look up their address. Actually USGS - fort collins does a lot of research on bats including this White nose syndrome. There probably busy right now finding out why we are having so many earthquakes around here for the last few years.
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Fiend »

Radar wrote: When I worked for sun oil I worked with USGS quit a bit .
HA! I worked for sunoco too!
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: map of mines & caves in oklahoma & Tulsa (bat ha

Post by Fiend »

Well Radar, you're in luck! I was draining the other day and found what I would believe to be about 12 or so vampire bats in a large tunnel system on the west side of Tulsa. I'm no expert on bats, but they looked just like typical ugly vampire bats with a face only a mother could love. PM or email me if you want to know how to get to them.