Cavemen BBQ and Steakhouse

Urban exploration in Missouri
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Cavemen BBQ and Steakhouse

Post by lolabelle »

Anyone ever eaten here?

Me and the hubby are thinking about going here, and I was wondering if anyone had been here before. It's quite a drive from where we live just for ribs, especially if the cave setting is lame.

Just wondering!
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Re: Cavemen BBQ and Steakhouse

Post by Kit »

I thought they had closed :) i guess not. I might have to put this on my list of things to do when scott is home.
Kit wrote:I am old
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

As far as I know it's in a real cave.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
critter
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: Cavemen BBQ and Steakhouse

Post by critter »

I have never had their ribs, but the food that I have tried is okay. The atmosphere is suprisingly disappointing because the dining area feels like more like my grandmother's dining room than an subterranean lair. I'd recommend going at least once just for the adventure of riding the shuttle from the parking lot to the cave.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

this place was featured on that stupid show on channel 9 "rare roadside visions and revelations". It actually looks kinda cool...
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

When featured on the "Rare Visions" show, the owner told stories of excavating areas of it with this relatively small kart. Something like thousands of loads of rock he and his wife would haul out of there.

He also said he doesn't serve alcohol, and when it's time for him to sell the business (due to old age/retirement), he wants to sell to someone who also won't serve alcohol.

It looks pretty cool as far as eating establishments go, being that it is in a cave accessed by an elevator.

I've been through Richland a few times, but have never remembered to stop by.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

a freind of mine helprd work on that resturant im not sure but i think they have like 5 industral dehumidityfiers running 24/7
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Post by slow_walker »

When are you guys thinking about going here? I am anxious to hear a recent review of the place.
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

tbd...starting to pack our weekends full of plans, so it may be a while. hopefully not though!
DblD
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by DblD »

It’s been a few years back but some friends of mine and I headed up there one Saturday afternoon. From what I recall the food was less than spectacular and was cold when we received it. I think maybe the kitchen is not attached to where you actually eat. You travel up to the restaurant in a rickety elevator and it seemed to be more of a hollowed out overhanging bluff than a cave. As an earlier posted noted, the décor looks to be more suited for aunt Bee’s house than a cave. There were a few overpriced antique nick-nacks lying around to try and entice tourists to buy. It’s worth the novelty to check it out but don’t get your expectations too high.

dd
“I’m growing older but not up
My metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck
Let those winds of time blow over my head
I’d rather die while I’m living – than live while I’m dead�
-Jimmy Buffett
Robzilla
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Robzilla »

It was more of a hollowed out bluff than a cave, which was kind of disappointing. And I agree, the food wasn't that great, but for the novelty if you're headed past it might be worth it. And that guy knows no fear driving the shuttle bus from the parking area. There were some cool old cabins along the road from the parking area to the restaurant, we walked back to the car afterward so we could see them up close.

Anyone ever been to Casa Bonita in Denver? (as featured on South Park). Even though it's not really in a cave that is the coolest restaurant ever.
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

been there. quite a place. there's also one in Tulsa, but I dont think it's got as much "atmosphere" as the CO one.
slow_walker

Post by slow_walker »

I haven't been to the one in Colorado so I don't know what it's like. But I have been to the one in Tulsa multiple times and I love it's atomosphere. We always sit in the cave room when it's available, even though it's not a real cave.
Robzilla
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Robzilla »

I've been to the one in Tulsa for comparison and it isn't even close! Denver is %100 cave room (man-made of course), with a 30 ft waterfall into a pool that has cliff divers and wild west shows (that always end up with some bad guy falling 30 ft into the water). If you're ever around there it's definitely worth a visit.

Anybody ever been to the tennis courts in the Carthage underground? I've only seen pictures.
nannerlh
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by nannerlh »

One of my co-workers took his family there just last month. He said they had a good time - the food is not Michelin 4-star cuisine, of course, but it was an interesting time. Also, the restaurant owner used to run a resort there, with cabins for rent. The cabins are now closed up and he's planning to sell the restaurant. From what I understand the cabins are the type that were built back in the 20's and 30's, that you don't see around much anymore. It might be a good place to document before the grounds get sold to some developer.

PS - the ride up to the restaurant itself, is apparently a trip. You have to park in a field and take a van 'shuttle'. The road is steep, bumpy and has hairpin turns and drop offs, which the shuttle driver likes to negotiate at breakneck speed. Don't forget to pack the Dramamine and Depends.

:lol:
"If you get hung up on everybody else's hang-ups, then the whole world's going to be nothing more than one huge gallows." Richard Brautigan