Civility

For things related to the site itself -- updates, problems, bugs, requests
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Civility

Post by White Rabbit »

Oooookay. I thought about saying something like this before and didn't, for a variety for reasons (mainly because I don't like to moderate unless absolutely necessary), but a PM from someone made me realize I probably need to say something, because I don't want anybody leaving over stuff like this.

We need to make a little more effort to be nice around here and not be such sarcastic assholes, especially to newcomers. And yes, I realize I'm totally guilty of this as well, and yes, I realize we've had some particularly, uh, "colorful" newcomers lately that might make it a challenge.

We still need to. I don't want non-registered viewers or new users to see that stuff and decide to never come back. You never know who's going to have valuable information.

That's all. Let's play nice.
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Re: Civility

Post by slow_walker »

Okay, I'll stop being an asshole... but I just can't stop being sarcastic.

Actually, I agree with Rabbit. I know the internet is for trolls, but there are plenty of forums out there that exist purely for trolling fun. Our forum here actually has a purpose behind it that is informational and we do need to be more welcoming to noobs. Then, once we're all friends we can bash them and ridicule them like we do each other.

And now a message to the noobs. I know the internet is for trolls, but there are plenty of forums out there that exist purely for trolling fun. Our forum here actually has a purpose behind it that is informational and we are more than willing to share that information with people who are easy to get along with and that we enjoy.

SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Civility

Post by SubLunar »

In all fairness, this forum is no worse than any other I've seen. UO is quite tame.
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

I know I am guilty of some erratic flaming here. I will comply. For the sake of the legitimacy of the site, I can see the wisdom in using somewhat formal dialogue with the people who we don't know, even if they seem insane and fun to mess with.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

RE: Civility

Post by Willard »

Well I don't so much mind the flaming in the 'Other' forum, though I start to get annoyed when every other post is just flaming someone elses post. It's when the flaming creeps into the threads in the rest of the forums that I don't think is good for the site.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
CaveGirl
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by CaveGirl »

I thought people were being assholes to me at first, then someone clued me in to the fact that that's just how the board is. I like it here now. But I'm a sarcastic asshole.
cousin
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by cousin »

CaveGirl wrote:I thought people were being assholes to me at first, then someone clued me in to the fact that that's just how the board is. I like it here now. But I'm a sarcastic asshole.
show us your boobies then....
pinkspider
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by pinkspider »

CaveGirl wrote:I thought people were being assholes to me at first, then someone clued me in to the fact that that's just how the board is. I like it here now. But I'm a sarcastic asshole.

you know the same thing happened to me too :D now i love the knuckle heads..
check out the blog!
http://arurbex.wordpress.com/

check here for geeky crocheted goodness and crazy ass fake hair :D
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6160340