mysterious lime quarry

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Re: mysterious lime quarry

Post by Headframe Hunters »

It's the Conco Galloway Quarry; they look to be running a small amount of surface mining there with a loader and a few haul trucks. The old underground mine has about nine portals spread over two levels, most of which are backfilled (backfilled enough to prevent vehicle access, but there is enough space at the top of the backfill piles to squeeze in, easily.

There is almost certainly a ramp between the levels. I know for sure that a ventilation raise exists north of the pit. It may be an interesting one to visit; I'm halfway considering just asking the mine manager. I have my MSHA certs and PPE...
In loving memory of Nichole - 12/4/1996 -- 12/1/2017

https://headframehunters.blogspot.com/
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Headframe Hunters wrote:I'm halfway considering just asking the mine manager. I have my MSHA certs and PPE...
I've asked.
They won't let you, the mine is unsafe, and there isn't any old machinery or anything interesting inside.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

why is it unsafe? I thought they wouldn't let anyone in due to the heightened security requirements post 9/11.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Like collapse unsafe. Plus they've been blasting into some of the upper levels in the surface mine.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Headframe Hunters »

lolabelle wrote:why is it unsafe? I thought they wouldn't let anyone in due to the heightened security requirements post 9/11.
I work in the industry, at a mine not too dissimilar to that one. There are no "heightened security requirements" except regarding explosives licensing, which doesn't even apply because Galloway has a blasting contractor do all their blasting, and has no on-site magazines or ANFO bins.

Technically you are required to receive site-specific training if you're going to be doing work on the property (I don't think photography not related to production or assessment is considered work by MSHA, but I don't know for certain), but visitors are basically at the mine owner/manager's discretion so long as they wear PPE. Hastie Mining in southern IL was incredibly great about that, we just talked to the owner for a few minutes and went on our way. Got the radio channel for their loader operator just in case, and watched out for loaded 70-ton haul trucks on the road :D

If the mine is unsafe to enter, I wouldn't want anyone entering it without a stack of waivers and release forms, and maybe not even then. As far as why it would be unsafe - freeze-thaw eats the hell out of rock and causes it to break down. Lack of maintenance, scaling, attention to and bolting of trouble spots - you'll wind up with scales the size of Volkswagens on the back and ribs, fall rock everywhere, and other assorted bad shit that non-miners generally will not know to look for.
In loving memory of Nichole - 12/4/1996 -- 12/1/2017

https://headframehunters.blogspot.com/