mysterious lime quarry

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
Professor Timmons
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

mysterious lime quarry

Post by Professor Timmons »

Does anyone know anything about the limestone quarry on lone pine across from sequotia park? I like to walk the trail that goes by it and I never see anyone one there ever, yet you can hear machines running 24 hours a day. No one Ive talked to knows anyone whos ever worked there either. I've been thinking for some time Id like to go and check it out because its just weird.
sic transit gloria
Jesta
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: mysterious lime quarry

Post by Jesta »

Yea, I see that all the time. Recently because I've been going into the Sequiota Cave.

Some kind of white rock, its on everything around there. Including the road, it also has train tracks running through it for transport.

I'm going to investigate on the internet a bit, i'll get back to ya'.
Professor Timmons
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: mysterious lime quarry

Jesta wrote:Yea, I see that all the time. Recently because I've been going into the Sequiota Cave.
How far back have you been? When I was in highschool, some friends and I went in there with a rubber raft, but we sprang a leak and turned back before we had gotten very far. Also I couldn't find any info about that quarry on the net.
sic transit gloria
Jesta
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Jesta »

A few hundred yards, although I don't think we've been to the back. Bat season I guess, LOTS OF BATS.

Heres some stuff, its an underground quarry ...

http://www.news-leader.com/springfield/ ... under.html

Search, "sequiota quarry" on google, it'll bring some stuff up.

Also Microsoft TerraServer Topo' map from 1975 showed this quarry as a big operation back then.
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image. ... Y=5138&W=2

Still going strong I assume.
Professor Timmons
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Thanks for the links. Not quite so mysterious I guess, but I still would love to check it out inside. Anyone else up for a little B&E?
sic transit gloria
Mindscape
The Leprechaun
The Leprechaun

Post by Mindscape »

Tsk tsk tsk...

No B&E, you! BAD DOGGY! *breaks out the rolled-up newspaper*

Now, should you happen to find a spot where their security has been lax, then that's fine. B&E is Bad. Finding pre-existing loopholes and exploiting them is fine.

Take only pictures, leave only footprints and confused mice.
"I'm going deeper underground.
There's too much panic in this town."
Jesta
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Jesta »

Ehh, if its anything like Springfield Underground. Then theres a reason to stay out. In SU they're blasting in the back everyday around 4pm into the morning, or something like that. Every person is to be out by a certain time.
Professor Timmons
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

lol! :lol: well I didn't mean literal B&E. Anyway you wouldn't have to there, its all open with no fences or anything.
sic transit gloria
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

I've been there. You don't have to break anything to gain entry, nor would I suggest it. Pretty much all you have to do is be able to cross a dilapidated barbed-wire fence and make your way in without being seen. There's an old abandoned mine down in the quarry (the mine's abandoned, quarry's not). It's nothing like Springfield Underground, but with the way that place hums with activity I wouldn't neccesarily suggest trying it.

Also, I can speak to the Sequiota Caves from experience. The watery one, AKA Fisher Cave, is essentially an underground river until you get about halfway in, then you make landfall and have to crawl about 2000 feet if you plan on reaching the back. There's supposed to be a pretty long side-tunnel that's navigable by boat, according to the maps at SMS, but I guess we missed it the first time through. That was with a 2-person Coleman raft. Next time'll be by canoe.
Professor Timmons
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Is there another entrance to the quarry? because the entrance off Lone Pine always looks deserted. Ive never seen cars or trucks go in or out. and I still have never seen any people working there.
sic transit gloria
Jesta
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Jesta »

How far away is that restaurant? You could park there or Sequiota and just walk. Every time I'm there I'll see at least 1 cop drive by so if you do this get in, and don't be suspicious around it.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: RE: mysterious lime quarry

Post by White Rabbit »

Professor Timmons wrote:Is there another entrance to the quarry? because the entrance off Lone Pine always looks deserted. Ive never seen cars or trucks go in or out. and I still have never seen any people working there.
I've been there a few times, too. I've also never really seen much activity there, but I have seen trucks driving around in there during busines hours. As far as I know, the main entrance is the only one.

We recently discovered that the underground mine there has two levels, although we haven't been able to check out the second level. Plus, one section is partially flooded, and we'll be going back with a raft to check it out.
Camel
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Camel »

There are guys there that order pizza every week or so. I've been there before manytimes all the way back in the middle of it all. There is an office behind the huge building you can't see from lone pine. Thats where they all park their cars. There is a couple 1 story buildings that have the office and stuff.
I stepped into that huge building and looked around. There is all kinds of machinery and the white dust is absolutly EVERYwhere. Nothing too exciting to say about it though.
There are probably less than a dozen guys there at a time from what I have seen. I've never seen the actual quarry, though.
RV driver
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Re: mysterious lime quarry

Post by RV driver »

Professor Timmons wrote:Does anyone know anything about the limestone quarry on lone pine across from sequotia park? I like to walk the trail that goes by it and I never see anyone one there ever, yet you can hear machines running 24 hours a day. No one Ive talked to knows anyone whos ever worked there either. I've been thinking for some time Id like to go and check it out because its just weird.
It's "Reviving Old Threads Night." The quarry was owned by Ash Grove Cement. It's a lime quarry (which is what the white dust is). There used to be a kiln there and a big processing plant. They took down all the buildings a few years ago. But it was still in operation in the late '70s, because I used to lurk around Galloway some then.
Slipping the surly bonds of earth...
umrdyldo
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by umrdyldo »

Ash Grove Cement is a subsidiary of Conco Quarries. My cousin married into the Conco family. I'll have to ask about it. I could get access easily.