Log in to check your private messages
View unanswered posts
Underground Ozarks ForumUnderground Ozarks Forum
Underground Ozarks Forum Gallery Forum Blog
Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in

A grammar argument.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Underground Ozarks Forum » Other
View previous topic | View next topic  
Author Message
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Age: 31
Gender: Male
Joined: 26 Dec 2006
Posts: 5660
Locations: St. Louis
Usergroups: None

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: A grammar argument. Reply with quote

I'm not an English major, but I went to private school. I can be snobby if I want.

I've had this argument before, and I just ran across another example of it in a 20,000 word proposal for NASA that I am editing for someone else.

Quote:
there are a significant amount of considerations that need to be addressed


Now, it sounds OK.

But, really, even though this sounds weird, shouldn't it be:

Quote:
there is a significant amount of considerations that need to be addressed


...because we're talking about the "amount" instead of the "considerations"?

"There is a significant amount" - Ding
"There are a significant amount" - Bzzzt

If there wasn't "a significant amount", I can see how it would be right.

"There is considerations" - Bzzzt
"There are considerations" - Ding

..but I have had this argument with people before, and rather than just letting me prove my point, they just tune out and end up not getting it.

This example isn't the best, but it gets the point across.

Discuss.
...
View user's profile Send private message
Back to top
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Age: 30
Gender: Male
Joined: 22 Oct 2008
Posts: 530
Locations: The 918 Area
Usergroups: None

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: RE: A grammar argument. Reply with quote

Why not just avoid the first part of the sentence all together, and adjust the phrase accordingly? "A significant amount of consideration will need to be addressed". Simple, and down to the point, no need to make words plural. I'm not a English major either, and I too went to a private school.
_________________
Infiltration Expert...
http://www.abandonedok.com/browsing/photographer/fiend/
...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Back to top
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Age: 31
Gender: Male
Joined: 26 Dec 2006
Posts: 5660
Locations: St. Louis
Usergroups: None

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: A grammar argument. Reply with quote

Fiend wrote:
Why not just avoid the first part of the sentence all together


The whole sentence is something along the lines of (I'm still editing the document):

Quote:
In designing a refrigerant-based propulsion system, there are many considerations that need to be addressed, such as the gravitational loads at launch and zero gravity propulsive maneuver disturbances.
...
View user's profile Send private message
Back to top
SubLunar
insert name here
insert name here

Age: 35
Gender: Male
Joined: 14 Apr 2007
Posts: 12707
Locations: St. Louis
Usergroups: None

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: RE: A grammar argument. Reply with quote

Quote:
In designing a refrigerant-based propulsion system, there are many considerations that need to be addressed, such as the gravitational loads at launch and zero gravity propulsive maneuver disturbances.


I think the second comma is unnecessary. Otherwise, the "are" in this sentence is used properly-unlike your original post.
...
View user's profile Send private message
Back to top
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert



Joined: 27 Apr 2004
Posts: 5243
Locations: Missouri
Usergroups: None

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: A grammar argument. Reply with quote

If only we had someone with a degree in English on the forum. Mr. Green
...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Back to top
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Age: 31
Gender: Male
Joined: 26 Dec 2006
Posts: 5660
Locations: St. Louis
Usergroups: None

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: A grammar argument. Reply with quote

SubLunar wrote:
Quote:
In designing a refrigerant-based propulsion system, there are many considerations that need to be addressed, such as the gravitational loads at launch and zero gravity propulsive maneuver disturbances.


I think the second comma is unnecessary. Otherwise, the "are" in this sentence is used properly-unlike your original post.


Several hours later, and it's still under construction.

I have a habit of adding too many commas. I think it stems from my fondness of the oxford comma.
...
View user's profile Send private message
Back to top
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Age: 50
Gender: Male
Joined: 02 Sep 2005
Posts: 6445

Usergroups: None

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: A grammar argument. Reply with quote

I'm an English teacher, does that count?

The correct way would be "is."

But the entire construct is unfortunate and unnecessarily wordy.

The unnecessary construct of "there are....that" is addressed in the most recent versions of MLA and APA style guides, and should be eliminated.

Go with the stronger verb, and lose the passive voice.

"In designing a refrigerant-based propulsion system, many considerations need to be addressed, to include gravitational loads at launch and zero gravity propulsive maneuver disturbances."

The subordinate clause "In designing...blah blah," could be placed after "many considerations..." and eliminate the need for the first comma.

My choice?

"Many considerations need to be addressed in designing a refrigerant-based propulsion system, including gravitational loads at launch and zero gravity propulsive maneuver disturbances."

_________________
Scott Walker says he consults with God, but his office canít provide documents to prove it.
...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Back to top
critter
100+ Poster
100+ Poster



Joined: 04 May 2007
Posts: 113
Locations: St. Louis, Central MO
Usergroups: None

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: RE: A grammar argument. Reply with quote

It should be "there is a significant amount of..."

The word "is" is used with a single noun like "amount." If "amount" was plural like "amounts" then one would use "are."

I don't have an English degree, but I teach next door to one who does.
...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Back to top
SubLunar
insert name here
insert name here

Age: 35
Gender: Male
Joined: 14 Apr 2007
Posts: 12707
Locations: St. Louis
Usergroups: None

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: A grammar argument. Reply with quote

crazydrummerdude wrote:
I think it stems from my fondness of the oxford comma.


fuck you.
...
View user's profile Send private message
Back to top
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Age: 31
Gender: Male
Joined: 26 Dec 2006
Posts: 5660
Locations: St. Louis
Usergroups: None

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: RE: A grammar argument. Reply with quote

SubLunar wrote:
crazydrummerdude wrote:
I think it stems from my fondness of the oxford comma.


fuck you.


Laughing
...
View user's profile Send private message
Back to top
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Age: 42
Gender: Female
Joined: 28 Nov 2004
Posts: 5246
Locations: Springfield, MO
Usergroups: None

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: RE: A grammar argument. Reply with quote

i didnt think the "are" in the first one sounded ok.
_________________
Kit wrote:
I am old
...
View user's profile Send private message
Back to top
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!



Joined: 01 Feb 2006
Posts: 4264
Locations: Republic, Missouri
Usergroups: None

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: A grammar argument. Reply with quote

One of the best ways to help you figure it out is to just use that one fragment of the sentence by itself. If someone asked you "how many considerations are there?" you would say "there is a significant amount."

Or at least I would. Smile

_________________
My Flickr Page
...
View user's profile Send private message
Back to top
SubLunar
insert name here
insert name here

Age: 35
Gender: Male
Joined: 14 Apr 2007
Posts: 12707
Locations: St. Louis
Usergroups: None

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: RE: A grammar argument. Reply with quote

Quote:
Schizophrenic Disorders are a class of mental disorders marked by disturbances in thought that dramatically affect perceptual, social and emotional processes.


MsWord tells me it should be "affects", but I disagree because it's the disturbances that affect, not the class that affects.
...
View user's profile Send private message
Back to top
KansasCity
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

Age: 37
Gender: Male
Joined: 16 Apr 2005
Posts: 1834

Usergroups: None

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: A grammar argument. Reply with quote

/me hates this thread.
_________________
I knew a transsexual guy whose only ambition is to eat, drink, and be Mary.

Aka Gringo Loco on KcUrbex.org and UER
...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Back to top
SubLunar
insert name here
insert name here

Age: 35
Gender: Male
Joined: 14 Apr 2007
Posts: 12707
Locations: St. Louis
Usergroups: None

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: RE: A grammar argument. Reply with quote

But it's so much fun, the arguing and the grammar! You is just not grammatically inclined.
...
View user's profile Send private message
Back to top
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Underground Ozarks Forum » Other
Display posts from previous:   
 
 
Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group