what made you happy today?

You can talk about anything here
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: what made you happy today?

Post by SubLunar »

BagHead727 wrote:Was supposed to have someone buy my bike tomorrow, so I took it to the car wash today. I got it home and noticed there is oil on the swingarm and my counter shaft seal is leaking badly. I called the buyer and told him the deal was off because I needed to do repairs. Now I get to keep the bike... I don't know why I ever tried to sell it in the first place lol

Also, I should be buying Versys 650 on Friday if all goes well
Sigh.

The YFS200's piston done blew up, still working on rebuilding that, need cylinder bored. Literally everything else on it needs to be replaced. I, and everyone else, has ridden the absolute piss out of this thing for the past 10 years or so and I'm surprised it lasted this long. Great little machine.

WR400 has clutch and carb issues. I'm hopeful that I've completed the carb work and have narrowed down the remaining problem to the intake manifold being cracked causing it to pop as a result of being too lean. Got the replacement already but when I tried to remove the old one, the stupid phillips head screw stripped out on the clamp that secures it. I was going to try to avoid having to completely remove the carb for the 50th time but I guess I'll have to do it again in order to get the intake off. Replaced the sprockets, clutch cable, lever, etc. I took the clutch plates apart and reinstalled them and it seems ok now. I think. Haven't really test drove it yet due to carb.

While working on the WR400, I glanced at the Big Wheel and noticed there's NO CHAIN on it. WTF. WHERE DID THE CHAIN GO? It was on it last time I rode it. Noticed the sprockets were worn so I just ordered chain and sprockets for that.

The LT230 is seized and I can't even get the damn case open. I've tried hitting it and sweet talking it. Must be really fucked inside of there.

The XT125 sorta runs sometimes but the exhaust is fucked up and it's not getting enough back pressure. OEM exhaust is discontinued and haven't bothered trying to find aftermarket.

The TRX200 *should* be operational but I haven't even tried starting it since winterizing it last year.

I just wanna ride...

-

What made me happy today was re-writing a song in a different time signature and now I like it a lot better.
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: RE: what made you happy today?

Post by BagHead727 »

SubLunar wrote:
Got the replacement already but when I tried to remove the old one, the stupid phillips head screw stripped out on the clamp that secures it.
Well I would bet that's because it's not a phillips head screw. Japanese bikes use JIS and they suck.
aka "That Guy"
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: what made you happy today?

Post by BagHead727 »

I got it

aka "That Guy"
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

Nice! Is the step-up in size annoying when offroad, or is it pretty manageable?
Preservation over plunder.
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

Oh it sucks off road. Smoothly graded dirt roads/trails are fun but that small front wheel can't handle any ruts or rocks. I dropped it on my left foot on dirt at 11mph. It kind of hurt...
aka "That Guy"
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

SubLunar wrote:The YFS200's piston done blew up, still working on rebuilding that, need cylinder bored. Literally everything else on it needs to be replaced. I, and everyone else, has ridden the absolute piss out of this thing for the past 10 years or so and I'm surprised it lasted this long. Great little machine.
Fix it.
WR400 has clutch and carb issues. I'm hopeful that I've completed the carb work and have narrowed down the remaining problem to the intake manifold being cracked causing it to pop as a result of being too lean. Got the replacement already but when I tried to remove the old one, the stupid phillips head screw stripped out on the clamp that secures it. I was going to try to avoid having to completely remove the carb for the 50th time but I guess I'll have to do it again in order to get the intake off. Replaced the sprockets, clutch cable, lever, etc. I took the clutch plates apart and reinstalled them and it seems ok now. I think. Haven't really test drove it yet due to carb.
Repair it.
While working on the WR400, I glanced at the Big Wheel and noticed there's NO CHAIN on it. WTF. WHERE DID THE CHAIN GO? It was on it last time I rode it. Noticed the sprockets were worn so I just ordered chain and sprockets for that.
Fiddle with it.
The LT230 is seized and I can't even get the damn case open. I've tried hitting it and sweet talking it. Must be really fucked inside of there.
Rebuild it.
The XT125 sorta runs sometimes but the exhaust is fucked up and it's not getting enough back pressure. OEM exhaust is discontinued and haven't bothered trying to find aftermarket.
Determine a solution.
The TRX200 *should* be operational but I haven't even tried starting it since winterizing it last year.
Figure it out.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

crazydrummerdude wrote:
SubLunar wrote:The YFS200's piston done blew up, still working on rebuilding that, need cylinder bored. Literally everything else on it needs to be replaced. I, and everyone else, has ridden the absolute piss out of this thing for the past 10 years or so and I'm surprised it lasted this long. Great little machine.
crazydrummerdude wrote:Fix it.
I am. Currently trying to find a shop that will bore it out.
crazydrummerdude wrote:
SubLunar wrote:WR400 has clutch and carb issues. I'm hopeful that I've completed the carb work and have narrowed down the remaining problem to the intake manifold being cracked causing it to pop as a result of being too lean. Got the replacement already but when I tried to remove the old one, the stupid phillips head screw stripped out on the clamp that secures it. I was going to try to avoid having to completely remove the carb for the 50th time but I guess I'll have to do it again in order to get the intake off. Replaced the sprockets, clutch cable, lever, etc. I took the clutch plates apart and reinstalled them and it seems ok now. I think. Haven't really test drove it yet due to carb.
Repair it.
I'm working on it. Turns out the intake was cracked but not all the way through so it wasn't to blame. Bought a new "zipty" fuel screw for the bottom of the carb so I no longer have to remove the carb to adjust the fuel mixture (a stupid design). But it still pops and sputters. Took the carb off, again, opened the bowl, cleaned everything and put it back together. Still pops and sputters. So I just ordered an MSR kit that comes with all the various jets, needles, gaskets, etc. If this doesn't fix it then I'm going to be looking at valve adjustment. But at this point it still seems like a carb issue. I've already spent an entire Saturday and a Sunday working on this.
crazydrummerdude wrote:
SubLunar wrote:While working on the WR400, I glanced at the Big Wheel and noticed there's NO CHAIN on it. WTF. WHERE DID THE CHAIN GO? It was on it last time I rode it. Noticed the sprockets were worn so I just ordered chain and sprockets for that.
Fiddle with it.
Fiddle the chain back into existence? The chain literally disappeared. My wife's brother was over recently and he commented to her that he owns a bigwheel too (I wasn't home). The only thing I can think of is ..he stole the chain while the wife was inside? Which is dumb. I just rode this thing a couple months ago. Chain was on it. Regardless, I've ordered a new chain and sprockets.
crazydrummerdude wrote:
SubLunar wrote:The LT230 is seized and I can't even get the damn case open. I've tried hitting it and sweet talking it. Must be really fucked inside of there.
Rebuild it.
Eh. This thing is heavy as fuck and has an automatic transmission. Not the most exciting bike to ride. Also, and most importantly, it's an old Suzuki.. Which means practically everything is discontinued on it by now. I could scour ebay and such but I don't have enough free time to justify this one.

crazydrummerdude wrote:
SubLunar wrote:The XT125 sorta runs sometimes but the exhaust is fucked up and it's not getting enough back pressure. OEM exhaust is discontinued and haven't bothered trying to find aftermarket.
Determine a solution.
Measuring what I need and buying an aftermarket pipe that may or may not have correct back pressure. Not high on the priority list.
crazydrummerdude wrote:
SubLunar wrote:The TRX200 *should* be operational but I haven't even tried starting it since winterizing it last year.
Figure it out.

I haven't checked into this one yet because it's the wife's and it's a utility ATV, not a fun sport ATV. I'll get to it eventually.
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

SubLunar wrote:I am. Currently trying to find a shop that will bore it out.
There's gotta be plenty around.
Bought a new "zipty" fuel screw for the bottom of the carb so I no longer have to remove the carb to adjust the fuel mixture (a stupid design).
Good.
I just ordered an MSR kit that comes with all the various jets, needles
Good.
valve adjustment
Have you not done that yet? Dude, do that. Depending on which valves tighten up on my motorcycle, it'll be down on power or popping/sputtering.
Fiddle the chain back into existence?
Totes.
My wife's brother was over recently and he commented to her that he owns a bigwheel too (I wasn't home). The only thing I can think of is ..he stole the chain while the wife was inside?
Is this the same guy that I remember one time talking about having a warehouse of scooters that he needed to relocate ASAP? The impression I got was that it was a bunch of stolen bikes that he was hustling around.
Eh. This thing is heavy as fuck and has an automatic transmission. Not the most exciting bike to ride. Also, and most importantly, it's an old Suzuki.. Which means practically everything is discontinued on it by now. I could scour ebay and such but I don't have enough free time to justify this one.
Fix it. #yolo
Measuring what I need and buying an aftermarket pipe that may or may not have correct back pressure. Not high on the priority list.
Do it. #yolo
I haven't checked into this one yet because it's the wife's and it's a utility ATV, not a fun sport ATV. I'll get to it eventually.
Do it. #yolo
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Headframe Hunters »

Found out today that I don't need to take two of my finals. One, I've got an A in the class, the other, I've got a high C and the instructor curves the final grade up to a whole letter grade which should boost me to a low-mid B.

My fiancee and I also finished assembling her first AR-15; it will be tested this weekend.
In loving memory of Nichole - 12/4/1996 -- 12/1/2017

https://headframehunters.blogspot.com/
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

Headframe Hunters wrote:My fiancee and I also finished assembling her first AR-15; it will be tested this weekend.
Nice! I hear it's not at all expensive to put one together these days, any particular parts you'd recommend?
Preservation over plunder.
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

mindwaave wrote:
Headframe Hunters wrote:My fiancee and I also finished assembling her first AR-15; it will be tested this weekend.
Nice! I hear it's not at all expensive to put one together these days, any particular parts you'd recommend?
Palmetto State Armory (PSA) is probably the best value in completed uppers and BCGs. Del-Ton is a slight step up in price, but they will basically assemble an upper to your spec with parts they stock. Most any non-polymer stripped lower will work quite well.

The prices are crazy low right now; it's a great time to build one if you're interested.

Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

So this is is more of a yesterday than today, but I think it still counts. I'm working a job with a mining company in Arizona right now, which is why I'm out there currently.

Drove all the way up Catalina Highway yesterday (terrifying road, by the way) and all the way down Control Rd., the only other way up to Mount Lemmon that I know of. Well, the mine on Control Rd. that I wanted to visit was a bust, big waste dumps but no open adits that I could find. My alternate destination, the Pure Gold mine near Oracle, was...not a bust. Big open cuts, dynamite bunker, and three adits in good shape; I entered all three but only followed one to its end because of back rock and suspicious critter tracks. Only problem was the mountain lion...wound up firing a warning/threatening shot in its general direction after it seemed to be trying to sneak up behind me!! :shock: :shock:

SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

That's an awesome story. You're gonna have to post some pics of these adventures.
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

Headframe Hunters wrote: Only problem was the mountain lion...wound up firing a warning/threatening shot in its general direction after it seemed to be trying to sneak up behind me!! :shock: :shock:
I probably would've shit myself lol. Hiking out there is kind of terrifying. You have to constantly scan your surroundings so much that it becomes a lot less enjoyable, especially if you're alone. Even here in Missouri you should always carry when out hiking by yourself. Our mountain lion population is sparse but still present. The coyote population is abundant though and anyone who tells you a pack of coyotes won't hunt a human is full of shit. Feral dogs are a big issue as well.
aka "That Guy"
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

I've dealt with enough horrifying situations over the past couple years that my reaction tends to be either to draw and default to training, or quickly think through my options and act as I feel is appropriate. Most things don't really faze me anymore :? :?

I know where you're coming from. I'm virtually never unarmed out in the woods. The particular flavor of urbex (minex?) that I do is generally on public land, or private land that I have permission to be on, so it's not a problem. Here in Arizona, I carry an AR much of the time, especially when closer to the border. It just seems to be prudent.

Regarding mountain lions in Missouri...yeah. My fiancee is staying there for the summer to work and maybe take some classes, and likes to get some woods time in on her own. She's found mountain lion sign in southern Phelps County; recorded sightings only extend into Texas or Dent IIRC. Coyotes are a given, and I've seen what they can do to a deer. Shoot on sight, if they actually make themselves visible- usually the little cowards avoid humans, especially groups of well-armed humans :lol: :lol:

I may have to see about helping some ranchers control their coyote infestation down here; I'm finishing up building a good precision rifle that would be very suitable.