what made you happy today?

You can talk about anything here
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Re: what made you happy today?

Post by mindwaave »

SubLunar wrote:I actually just ordered a quad-core CPU for this thing for 20 bucks, just in case I decide to use one someday. For now, I'm good. XP 4 LIFE, SON
Which one did you get? Good ol' XP with its capable kernel
Preservation over plunder.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: what made you happy today?

Post by SubLunar »

AMD Phenom x4 9650 Quad Core.

Current CPU is Athlon 5600+, dual core.

The 8350 benchmarks slightly better than the 5600+ in raw computing power but multithreading is a huge bonus for audio/video processing and as such on my computer this would be the feature I would be taking advantage of. I actually don't even come close to maxing out my 4GB of ram in any of the programs I regularly use, so I am not in a hurry to upgrade memory. For one, I'm actually running 32 bit XP. 64 bit doesn't seem to have any huge advantage for me to justify completely redoing everything yet. But if the OS ever goes south, I will be switching to 64. As far as memory, my mobo supports 16GB. But 16GB of DDR2 1600 RAM is pretty expensive so unless I need it someday, I won't bother. This computer is, surprisingly, blazing fast as it is. I really don't get why my ~10 year old machine works so well but it does. I picked the right stuff when I built it.
Last edited by SubLunar on Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Re: RE: what made you happy today?

Post by mindwaave »

SubLunar wrote:This computer is, surprisingly, blazing fast as it is. I really don't get why my ~10 year old machine works so well but it does. I picked the right stuff when I built it.
Machines that are purpose-built and purpose-used sure do accumulate fewer junk files than the average home computer. Nice finding that CPU for $20!

Happy today because I got to ride my new bike into work, and took a longer route through a wooded area :D

SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

^ NOW you're talking. Fuck yeah, what size CRF is that?
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

mindwaave wrote: Machines that are purpose-built and purpose-used sure do accumulate fewer junk files than the average home computer.
Between my photos and music, I have personally authored over 1.5 Terabytes of audio/visual data. I have this data copied across identical 2TB hard drives and I'm not far from filling up the 2Tb's. There is zero multimedia on the drives that I didn't create, that's all I do when I'm home.
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

Speaking of dirtbikes...

I moved to a new place yesterday and have woods in my backyard. First thing I did was start cutting a dirtbike trail. Work is going way faster than I expected considering I'm just using a tree limb pruner. The property to the north and the south of my subdivision both have an abandoned house on them, so I'm assuming nobody will care if I cut trails through their land. It will all probably be developed into subdivisions within a few years anyway.

Also, if I take my trail northward to that big field, I will be able to dirtbike to work since my workplace is literally on the other side of that field
Here is what I have already cut after 2 days of work:
aka "That Guy"
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

^ Fuck yeah! I want to plan some kind of mild-intermediate adventure ride before the cold weather hits, just gotta look into it more. It's sweet that you'll get to offroad to work.
SubLunar wrote:^ NOW you're talking. Fuck yeah, what size CRF is that?
It's a 250, and rides real easy. Definitely a tamer dualsport, but it's pretty good taking turns on pavement and can hold its own compared to bigger bikes, so I can't complain. The bike's mostly stock and the brake lever's bent, so I've got some room to grow into customization. Gonna get a skidplate and radiator guard, barkbusters, and some kind of cargo rack. I'll also probably need to get a set of socket wrenches lol
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

We really ought to go to Sullivan or Finger Lakes some time...
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

SubLunar wrote:
Nicotti wrote:...I recently updated to 7...
My music computer will remain Windows XP as long as the hardware continues to function. So will a couple of my other computers which have specific purposes....XP 4 LIFE, SON
I do like XP, but I was having issues with it. Installed, 6 mo later it started to became unstable, another 2 mos then reinstall. This occurred 2 or 3 times. Maybe it was just a bad xp disk but I plan on upgrading all my hardware within the next year anyway so I changed to 7. Also my work puter at this job and my last have used 7, so I'm kind of used to it now.

Also I primarily use my puter for entertainment; video playback and gaming. So I have to keep up to at least the low end.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

Happy today because I remotely resurrected a server in Louisville for 5+ hrs with success. The poor thing had a corrupted boot sector, corrupted recovery partition, an overwritten SATA driver, a missing BSD store and more. All this happened after I guided someone onsite through a hardware installation process. Now I just have to wait for the next power outage :evil:
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

Three days of cutting and I've got something like this. Very little underbrush so things are getting easier. Shits getting legit and I've only just begun...

aka "That Guy"
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

That's it, I'm coming over.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

Staying as a volunteer at an 18th century estate that is a bnb as well as a longer term location for artists looking for scenery, etc. A few times a year they do an all female nude photography course. This is one of those times. Many womens, much boobies everywhere. The models dont care if I walk by in the middle of a shoot and snag a few glances. They like listening to me play the piano. I have found paradise.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

That's it, I'm coming over.

Their backs and faces
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Surely he's joking. No such place could ever exist. It was all just a dream.