your new uber sweet gear

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
CaveGirl
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Re: RE: your new uber sweet gear

Post by CaveGirl »

activeshooter wrote:
CaveGirl wrote:I haven't bought it yet, but I'm going to get a PT Apex pretty soon. Have to wait f or my student loan money to come in.
heck of a choice pt customer support is awesome but check out fenix hp10 hell of a hl for the bread, ps are you with a grotto?
I ended up buying 3 Apexes for me, my husband, and my mother along with 5 or 6 EOS's for the kids and for back-ups. I love them. The Apexes have a hell of a short battery life, though, but damn can they ever light caves up.

I keep meaning to officially join MVG but something always comes up. I went to a few meetings last summer then had to stop going because of school--I had class those evenings. Couldn't go in December because my Grandma had to go on hospice care and my husband couldn't sit in the car that long anyway because he was getting ready to have another back surgery. We were gong to go this month but my damn father backed over me with his truck while I was under my van on the 15th, severing my femoral artery and my quadriceps tendon in my right leg so now I can't sit in a vehicle for that long :evil: . See what I mean about something always coming up? Maybe next month.
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

CaveGirl wrote:
activeshooter wrote:
CaveGirl wrote:I haven't bought it yet, but I'm going to get a PT Apex pretty soon. Have to wait f or my student loan money to come in.
heck of a choice pt customer support is awesome but check out fenix hp10 hell of a hl for the bread, ps are you with a grotto?
I ended up buying 3 Apexes for me, my husband, and my mother along with 5 or 6 EOS's for the kids and for back-ups. I love them. The Apexes have a hell of a short battery life, though, but damn can they ever light caves up.

I keep meaning to officially join MVG but something always comes up. I went to a few meetings last summer then had to stop going because of school--I had class those evenings. Couldn't go in December because my Grandma had to go on hospice care and my husband couldn't sit in the car that long anyway because he was getting ready to have another back surgery. We were gong to go this month but my damn father backed over me with his truck while I was under my van on the 15th, severing my femoral artery and my quadriceps tendon in my right leg so now I can't sit in a vehicle for that long :evil: . See what I mean about something always coming up? Maybe next month.

geezuz craist!
White Rabbit wrote:Welcome back. Find some cool stuff and tell us about it :P
activeshooter
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: your new uber sweet gear

Post by activeshooter »

daum..... sorry to hear, glad you are still with us, that's one helluva life threatening injur, sounds like ur gonna be laid up for a while. I feel ur pain tho, I had a tri malio something fracture of my ankle before the new year and am only now starting to feel normal and probably will be able to back to work in march.
good luck and fast healing to you
CaveGirl
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by CaveGirl »

activeshooter wrote:daum..... sorry to hear, glad you are still with us, that's one helluva life threatening injur, sounds like ur gonna be laid up for a while. I feel ur pain tho, I had a tri malio something fracture of my ankle before the new year and am only now starting to feel normal and probably will be able to back to work in march.
good luck and fast healing to you
Thanks. I'm doing really well, considering. I'm a fast healer and the doctor says I should be back to work within 2 months if not sooner. I only stayed in the hospital for 1 night before getting the hell out of there--bastards wouldn't let me smoke :evil: . I had to promise to stay off my feet and take care of the wound. If I didn't work in healthcare they wouldn't have trusted me to do that. I've been trapped in my house other than 1 doctor appointment since Tuesday evening and I'm going insane!

I didn't think the injury was that bad until after the surgery when the nurses and doctor told me what they'd had to do. This was me: :shock: . I mean, I knew it was bad because I had blood spurting out of my leg like something out of a horror movie (really pretty in the snow, BTW) but not *that* bad. When I saw the truck rolling backward toward me I grabbed onto something under the van and hauled myself backward--I didn't get my legs up in time and my right leg was caught between the truck bumper and the van for a second until the van rolled back a little and released it. If I didn't have fast reflexes I'd probably be dead. I did, however, crawl out from under the van, stand up, walk to my passenger door to get my purse :roll:, walk to the passenger door of the truck, and climb in on my own. The ambulance couldn't have made it down the road where we were (Meramec Conservation Area) so Dad drove me to the ER. I'm a complete dumbass for going down there in the snow, but the road wasn't that bad until just past the gates at the horse trails and by then I couldn't turn around or back up. Why was I down there? I felt like walking the paved trail with my 9yo son. Poor kid was in the van during the accident (he's not hurt) and it scared him so badly that he peed his pants--he thought I'd been killed :cry: . At least I got to go for one last walk around the trail before almost dying.

Sorry for the threadjack.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: your new uber sweet gear

Post by SubLunar »

Meet the new boots

Same as the old boots

Dr Scholls Grafton ST (steel toe). Best fucking boots I've ever owned. I got the old pair some time around 07 I believe. They were only 50 bucks back then and they're the only boots I've explored in since then, they've been everywhere I've been except the sewers because I wouldn't disrespect them like that. They're still holding up but just barely. Most comfortable and longest lasting by far. I figured they'd be discontinued by now, but Famous Footwear has them, although now they're 79.99. Still, as comfortable as these things are and as long as they've lasted, well worth it. The pic doesn't even do justice to how beat up the old one is. Highly recommend.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

And while I'm at it, I found a pair of Sea Striker sunglasses back at about the same time 07 or so. I've done lawn care all day in these, I've sat on em on accident countless times and I've worn them under dirtbike helmets and they're still fucking going. Any other sunglasses I've ever owned broke after about a week. And these were already well used by the time I found em. Research has determined that they are the "skipper" model and are only 29.99 at bass pro.

As far as the style, meh not bad. They're not as lame as most oakley and related knockoffs IMO. They are comfortable and durable (and they were free for me) and that's all that matters. They're not as blue/transparent as the advertisement makes them look. You can't see my eyes behind em.

http://www.basspro.com/Sea-Striker-Skip ... uct/72089/
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

I've had this for a couple weeks now and it's freaking awesome. The light is the Nextorch k3. 180 lumens out of 2 AAA batteries and water proof of course, like all flashlights should be.

Then there's the Leatherman Charge TTI. I always hated how plain and ugly most multitools are. The Charge TTI is pretty sexy though. With the titanium handles and s30v blade, it's high quality as well.

aka "That Guy"
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Sweet.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I like the idea. I'm just not sure about usability. I still want the watch, though.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

That looks scary as hell to me. It seems like the wrong kind of fall could turn from a bruise to a puncture wound, easy. It looks cool. It just seems like the same defunct idea as the Apple watch. I don't find it difficult to pull things out of my pocket. These companies don't need to wrap things around my wrist for me.
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

Had both of these for a month now

New edc knife, Spyderco Paramilitary 2. I've been wanting this knife for a year and finally snatched one up after losing my Spyderco Centofante III.

And bought my first ever watch. Victorinox

Checking your phone for the time isn't only inconvenient but it's also totally unprofessional.. pretty much got this just for work but now I'm wanting to buy another one or two. I went pretty small (37mm) on this one because I'm not a huge dude but the small size makes it look kind of feminine imo. I'd like to go up to 42mm for my next purchase. Not sure what brand yet
aka "That Guy"
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

I have a sweet 10 year fossil watch, the background is a blue firebird symbol that lights up in a cool way, but I rarely wear it. I find wrist watches really annoying when I'm typing on a keyboard all day; they knock against it and stuff.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

I got one of these and it worked great.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Xtend-Climb- ... /203024222
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

SubLunar wrote:I got one of these and it worked great.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Xtend-Climb- ... /203024222
cool, like that a lot.. There's a 15.5' too!?