Knives

You can talk about anything here
darko80
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Knives

Post by darko80 »

I've always had a passing interest in folding knives and in the past year, it's kinda gotten out of hand. I was wondering if anyone else on the board shares this interest, since I'm sure that many of you carry a blade of some sort when you're out poking around.
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Knives

Post by Fiend »

I love knives. I wouldn’t call myself a professional collector, but I do have a small collection of butterfly knives, bowie knives, and switch blades. Specifically butterfly knives, I have always had a fascination with them. Even though both my vehicles have at least a couple of knives strategically placed in them as well as ever room in my house, I don’t bring them with me on "explorations". Butterflies, switch blades and so on, are far too suspicious to take with me, and some of them are illegal to conceal. So I usually keep a multi tool of some sort in my pocket, usually one that has pliers.
MONKEYMANN
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Re: Knives

Post by MONKEYMANN »

I've collected knifes for years. I've got a few to say the least. I always loved the Old Switchblades. You know, the ones that were actually made good. When I was a kid one of my best friends dads was a Spfld. Cop. Back then when they randomly confascated knifes and such, I guess it wasn't a big deal for the cop to keep some of it. My friend had this old switchblade his dad brought home one day that had the old flip style switch that flipped up to lock and flipped down to press to open the knife. This knife was so well made and had such a powerful spring that it would almost be thrown out of your hand everytime you opened it. Wish I could find one like that again!!
I DIDN'T SAY THAT YOU SAID THAT I SAID THAT......
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Post by GlassCurtain »

I love my gerber paraframe

I also collect swords and daggers.
“I investigate things to complete my knowledge, my complete knowledge makes my thoughts sincere, my thoughts being sincere; my heart is pure.”

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glasscurtain/
darko80
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by darko80 »

Man, a Gerber is hard to beat. I've owned several over the years and my favorite was an applegate/fairbairn model that I carried everywhere for several years when I did hwy construction. I used the shit out of it cutting everything under the sun and it always kept an edge. Lately I've been carrying a Zero Tolerance 0200 but I think I'm about to switch to a Spyderco Paramilitary for everyday carry.
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

I know this guy. He is a fucking Jedi.

http://www.bladegallery.com/shopdisplay ... asp?id=525
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Post by GlassCurtain »

Holy shit those are some expensive blades. $9800 for a show piece!
“I investigate things to complete my knowledge, my complete knowledge makes my thoughts sincere, my thoughts being sincere; my heart is pure.”

lzrturbo91
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by lzrturbo91 »

banchmade for the win - iv carryed alot of knives in my day - gerber s&w made in china , benchmade - since iv bought a benchmade i havent ever had a need for anything else - plus my old unit everyone had them -

http://www.benchmade.com/products/produ ... u=551SBTOD
MY COUCH PULLS OUT BUT I DONT
darko80
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by darko80 »

The benchmade griptillion is a great knife. Benchmade is also known for their "no questions asked" customer service. Anything ever goes wrong, they make it right.
lzrturbo91
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by lzrturbo91 »

heck yes - i buy knives like i buy my weapons have to have good rep and good svc dep.
MY COUCH PULLS OUT BUT I DONT
DigitalNinja
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by DigitalNinja »

GlassCurtain wrote:I love my gerber paraframe

I also collect swords and daggers.
I've lost a couple of those...

I buy tons of knives, I have 4 or 5 within reach right now... I lose or destroy most of them tho. I do have a good switchblade I picked up in NY city. I had to take the edge of it for a production I was in, so it's a little boring at the moment. Swordmiester has a booth at a couple of the local flea markets. He sells a few switchblades. Have a nice camo tactical switchblade I bought from him but I destroyed the spring by using it in water.
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

I have probably 15 knives. Just the usual stuff. I don't know any brand names.

I had some of those cheesy fantasy knives and swords for a little while when I was like 13, but sold them all because they were impractical.

But, I've been thinking about getting some blacksmithing stuff and trying to make one some time.
Nemophilist
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Nemophilist »

DigitalNinja wrote: Have a nice camo tactical switchblade I bought from him but I destroyed the spring by using it in water.
Huh?
How does water destroy a knife?
(other than rust)
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Post by GlassCurtain »

crazydrummerdude wrote:But, I've been thinking about getting some blacksmithing stuff and trying to make one some time.
I've only forged one blade but it was pretty fun. Takes some practice though. Next time I try I'm going to make sure I have exactly the right stuff. A hotter forge would have been ideal.

This is a great book. I've had it since I was a kid and I'm re-reading it now.

The Complete Bladesmith

cobcob
Aequitas
Aequitas

Post by cobcob »

Right now I'm carrying a Winchester branded folder that's made by Gerber.

Hellaciously good blade for the price ($5 at Walmart during the Christmas season a couple of years ago) and it holds an edge pretty well.
Same as this one but without the ghey carabiner on the end:

The knife I'd really like is a discontinued Benchmade model the 910 Stryker. Not too big of a fan of the combo (part serrated) blades but I LOVE me a modified Tanto point.
GlassCurtain wrote:I like to masturbate during the sexual harassment films at work.
Pinkspider wrote:check here for geeky crotch eating goodness and crazy fake ass hair