"The Capitol" Monastery in Coffman, Mo ?

Urban exploration in Missouri
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

"The Capitol" Monastery in Coffman, Mo ?

Post by SubLunar »

A co-worker told me about some spooky place off of route F in Coffman MO called The Capitol Monastery. He said it's some kind of monastery or something and there's alot of local legends about it. He couldn't remember if it's visible from the highway. He said there's three buildings.

I have no more specific location information than that...

Anyone heard of it?
Jamesw
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: "The Capitol" Monastery in Coffman, Mo ?

Post by Jamesw »

Road trip again?? :idea:
-2008 St.Mary's Championship longest drive winner-
White Rabbit wrote:Funniest part: I actually had to stand up on my tippy-toes to remove myself from the pipe..
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: "The Capitol" Monastery in Coffman, Mo ?

Post by SubLunar »

I found it. It appears to be very large and vacant/for sale. "In need of major renovation" :shock:

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?q ... dlLTE4MA==

http://www.ucoffices.com/office/propdet ... archResult

Also:

AVON - Maharishi World Peace Organics Mansion Hotel - Many locals report this yellow building as being the Capitol, or St. Louis Capitolm as well as the Cult Mansion or the White-house. It is claimed by many that people worship the devil in these buildings and you can hear them chanting from outside. It is believed that the ghosts of deceased members of the cult haunt the mansion. However, the owner of the property asked that it be stated that Maharishi is an Iranian who specializes in Meditation and it is nothing more than a Maharishi meditation/hotel mansion. That it is just an old meditation building which is now used for organic farming. He asks that this be posted on the web so that people will stop coming on the property and ruining it, as he states. He says trespassers will have the police called on them and they will do whatever they have to do to remove them. He provided the phone number is the directions and said to speak to Gary Greenfield who is the head honch there, if any questions.Directions and other pertinent information:Located on Capitol Hill Rd in Coffman, Mo. 573-756-9642

http://www.showmeparanormal.net/Haunted_Missouri.html

There's mention of it elsewhere, but the sites are all blocked on my workplace interwebs.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Well, fuck. I just read a thread on which people claimed it's been torn down...I still want to verify this, the For Sale listing mentions the building and it was updated today(?).
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Ok, so I've learned that this was some sort of Maharishi Transcendentalist group that ran the place. They were common in the 70's and 80's and apparently there's a few of these nearly identical buildings around, especially in Iowa.

I also found that there was one torn down recently in Waverly Missouri, near Kansas City called the Dover Mansion. By the looks of it, the place was identical to this one.

So although the "Capitol Monestery" or "Cult Mansion" or whatever you want to call it may have been destroyed (a finding I have yet to be 100% sure about), there are others out there.

Now the question is how many are left and where are they??
Last edited by SubLunar on Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

I stole this image from the real estate posting. I can't seem to find any other photos of it anywhere.
Attachments
768636.jpg
768636.jpg (5.96 KiB) Viewed 20304 times
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

It seems the Capitol (sic) moniker comes from the name designated to such buildings built by this group.

I happened to notice a sign from the video posted above that indicated it was called the "Capital of the Age of Enlightenment". Apparently there were to be other Capitals built around the world. The one in Coffman, as well as the one in Waverly, was eventually abandoned after this Transcendental Meditation quackery failed to catch on. It's unknown how many others there may be out there still. I've been doing a lot of research but the organization has so many different fronts and name changes it's hard to keep up.

This is a link to a good photograph of the one in Waverly, referred to as Dover Mansion, which has since been demo'ed. This one was seemingly identical to the Coffman Capital building.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cberry2006/4888468155/
forcexquit
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: "The Capitol" Monastery in Coffman, Mo ?

Post by forcexquit »

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=37.739 ... orm=LMLTCC

This picture makes it look like there isn't anything there.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Indeed. I wonder if that was just updated? I swear I tried all the different views in bing/google/etc.

That sucks. When I started this thread, the building was still there. When I saw the building in the satellite imagery, I was already planning a road trip.

I wonder how many others are out there somewhere...
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: RE: "The Capitol" Monastery in Coffman, Mo ?

Post by SubLunar »

BUMP
SubLunar wrote:I wonder how many others are out there somewhere...
Here's one, too bad it's in India..

http://blog.ounodesign.com/2009/07/02/w ... rishikesh/
Last edited by SubLunar on Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

NW Kansas abandoned construction as of 2010..

SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

This one in Texas sounds like it was pretty big before it was burned to the ground.
The 55,000-square-foot structure with 14 golden domes and 108 rooms
http://articles.latimes.com/1992-01-12/ ... ion-center
constany
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by constany »

so yeah, i live like less than 30 minutes from this place. been out there a bunch of times. never actually seen the place. did find the road it was on though. have heard all of the same stories since i was a kid. when you go up the road to get to the place there is a gate and cameras. so....be careful if ya go. dont get in no trouble
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Unfortunately it was demolished shortly after I posted this thread. Had I found it sooner, I would have been all up inside it's transcendental meditation goodness.

The real question is: how many more are out there? I have not been able to find any good source of information on this group and where they had planned/constructed capitol buildings.
constany
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by constany »

yeah, after i posted on here i looked around for more info on the one in coffman and found out it was tore down also. such a shame i really wanted to see it. but the whole maharishi thing is odd to me. back in like 2005-06 is when me and mmy ex and our friends would get drunk and go look for it. then i found out that it was some kind of organic food, peace place and i even heard hotel of sorts. i even got the number and i called relentlessly and even left messages and i never heard back. ive heard stories of this place from when i was a kid from family that said they went out there and it was not the whole maharishi thing when my family were younger. so....who knows