Interesting sites in the Ouachita National Forest?

Urban exploration in Arkansas
itcantbestephen
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Interesting sites in the Ouachita National Forest?

Post by itcantbestephen »

Specifically in the Lake Sylvia / Saline county area. Abandoned watch towers, homesteads, caves, cemeteries would be especially cool. I find myself out there alot, and I'm getting bored just driving around in circles on the dirt roads, haha.
pinkspider
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: Interesting sites in the Ouachita National Forest?

Post by pinkspider »

there is an abandoned girl scout camp on lake sylvia :D

http://www.uer.ca/locations/show.asp?locid=28082

abd this is the old thread about it

viewtopic.php?t=4587
check out the blog!
http://arurbex.wordpress.com/

check here for geeky crocheted goodness and crazy ass fake hair :D
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6160340
bgould
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Interesting sites in the Ouachita National Forest?

Post by bgould »

Camp Ouachita is being turned into a conference center, so isn't abandoned.

On the other side of the lake there are the remains of a "lodge" built for a really awful movie from approx 1970 (The Sporting Club, director Peerce), then blown up. Up the hill in the woods are sections of fencing (really, chain link fencing just in the middle of the woods) probably installed for the safe keeping of the film equipment. Yes, they filmed a movie out there.

Up the hill from Lake Sylvia, turn left, go less than a mile and watch for two rock pillars on right. This was the entry to a CCC camp (the stock pond nearby is new). The old road is fairly easy to follow and leads to a camp site. In the fall/winter you can make out where the tent platforms were, but like most CCC camps they scrubbed it pretty clean when they moved out.

If you went right at the top of the hill, you'll pass the old access road to the fire tower sit on North Fork Pinnacle. This road is from the 60s, but you can make out the original 1930s road bed. The top has a stirling view, and the cistern, foundations, tower base and various other concrete reminder of the facility are there. This is a neat and easily reached place.

Crystal Mt to the SW also has a road to the top and the remains of a tower (the steel was taken down in the 80s). Even better, it's accurately called Crystal Mt as there are crystals there.

Along the road that follows the north shore of Lake Winona there are old bridges and wiers, but no buildings or ruins. The service buildings and spillway at the dam are cool, but CAW understandably plays hardball about tresspassing. Look, don't touch.

There's an old cemetary on the north side of Forked Mountain, right off the road. The road that goes around the east side of the mountain that terminates at the bluff/overhang continues into the wilderness area and if you veer off to the right at the correct spot you'll be at a low water crossing that is a nice area.

No homesteads or anything like that in the area, though.
The best solution is always simple and the simple solution is always hard.
itcantbestephen
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Could you give me some details about the old cemetery you mentioned? I love old graveyards.
bgould
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by bgould »

My favorite route- I'll forego giivng TAR numbers, as a) the signs get knocked down and b) I'll get one wrong and you'd up in Norman. Distances are somewhere between actual and wag guesses.

Go west on the road at the border of Saline/Perry county off of Highway 9. Roughly 5-1/2 miles north of Paron, 3-1/4 miles south of Williams Junction.

You'll pass several really nice overlooks. Go 3-1/2 miles, turn right at the "T" intersection. At the next intersection (approx 1 mile), go straight (turning right would take you to Lake Sylvia). You'll pass the access rd to North Point Pinnacle shortly thereafter. Go about 4 miles, then straight at the next intersection. 2 more miles will have you at the Flatside vista. You can see Forked Mt aprox 8 miles distant, due west. Continue another mile or so and turn left at the next "T" intersection. Another couple of miles and you'll encounter the only real opportunity to get lost. Turn left, west, onto the more heavily traveled road. Stay on this road, and it will eventually hairpin it's way down into a valley.This road crosses over Cedar Creek, then Little Cedar Creek about a 1-1/2 hence. These are actual brdiges, not low water crossings. The cemetary is on the left after the bridge over Little Cedar Creek, roughly 1/2 mile.

One note, if you go back across the Little Cedar Creek, heading east, the first road on the right takes you to the foot of Forked Mt.
pinkspider
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by pinkspider »

bgould: last time i talked to someone they had stopped restorations because they had a possible buyer. maybe 25% has been restored the rest is still falling in. (now this was a few months ago bear in mind but i doubt a whole lot has happened in a few months but it's possible)
check out the blog!
http://arurbex.wordpress.com/

check here for geeky crocheted goodness and crazy ass fake hair :D
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6160340
bgould
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by bgould »

I know nothing of the recent developments.

I can't imagine anybody getting bent out of shape by people just walking around and taking pictures, and if you've not been there it's worth the trip. Really excellent WPA architecture and workmanship.
Intruder1
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Intruder1 »

This is a nice area in ONF, located in Montgomery County.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOKNcNoQEfU

There are also numerous old mines and buildings in the area.
itcantbestephen
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Does anyone know anything about the old church down by the Winona spill way? It used to be in shambles but they recently renovated it.
bgould
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by bgould »

Variously known as the Walnut Grove, Walnut Valley and just plan Walnut community, the church and graveyard in Saline County were moved during the construction of Lake Winona (1936-38) to what was then and now known as the Reform community. The 1936 AR State Hwy Comm map shows Lake Winona (probably added in a 1939-40 edit of the map), and there are 7 homes, one school/church/community bldg (likely the Walnut church), the graveyard and CCC camp along the north shore of the lake. This CCC camp site is not the one mentioned earlier in this thread (probably a short-lived out-lying camp); that one is 3-4 miles due north in Perry County. It is my sad duty to report that after 70 years, there are no definite home sites or ruins. Just a few road traces, some flat ground, a few weirs and some non-native plants (probably from flower gardens).

Due east of the Dam site approx 1mile is the Reform Fire Tower, with typical concrete foundations, pad and cistern. Find in the winter, as at any other times there are ticks the size of canned hams all abouts.
itcantbestephen
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

That's awesome, you're like a freakin encyclopedia when it comes to this stuff, haha.

Me and a few friends of mine were out there a couple of nights ago just driving around bored, and I took them there because they thought it sounded cool. We just got out and looked around some. There was one very fresh grave (probably less than a week old) there. The cemetery seems to be very active. Still lots of fresh flowers and everything all around.
itcantbestephen
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Re: RE: Interesting sites in the Ouachita National Forest?

bgould wrote: You'll pass several really nice overlooks. Go 3-1/2 miles, turn right at the "T" intersection. At the next intersection (approx 1 mile), go straight (turning right would take you to Lake Sylvia). You'll pass the access rd to North Point Pinnacle shortly thereafter. Go about 4 miles, then straight at the next intersection. 2 more miles will have you at the Flatside vista. You can see Forked Mt aprox 8 miles distant, due west. Continue another mile or so and turn left at the next "T" intersection. Another couple of miles and you'll encounter the only real opportunity to get lost. Turn left, west, onto the more heavily traveled road. Stay on this road, and it will eventually hairpin it's way down into a valley.This road crosses over Cedar Creek, then Little Cedar Creek about a 1-1/2 hence. These are actual brdiges, not low water crossings. The cemetary is on the left after the bridge over Little Cedar Creek, roughly 1/2 mile.

One note, if you go back across the Little Cedar Creek, heading east, the first road on the right takes you to the foot of Forked Mt.
Is this intersection the one with a huge tree in the middle of it?
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Re: RE: Interesting sites in the Ouachita National Forest?

Post by Willard »

bgould wrote:Variously known as the Walnut Grove, Walnut Valley and just plan Walnut community, the church and graveyard in Saline County were moved during the construction of Lake Winona (1936-38) to what was then and now known as the Reform community. The 1936 AR State Hwy Comm map shows Lake Winona (probably added in a 1939-40 edit of the map), and there are 7 homes, one school/church/community bldg (likely the Walnut church), the graveyard and CCC camp along the north shore of the lake. This CCC camp site is not the one mentioned earlier in this thread (probably a short-lived out-lying camp); that one is 3-4 miles due north in Perry County. It is my sad duty to report that after 70 years, there are no definite home sites or ruins. Just a few road traces, some flat ground, a few weirs and some non-native plants (probably from flower gardens).

Due east of the Dam site approx 1mile is the Reform Fire Tower, with typical concrete foundations, pad and cistern. Find in the winter, as at any other times there are ticks the size of canned hams all abouts.
You sir are definatly the Go-to guy for Arkansas history and information.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
bgould
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by bgould »

"Is this intersection the one with a huge tree in the middle of it?"

Yes sir.
arkie 123
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by arkie 123 »

Neat ghost town of Forrester Ar. It's in Scott country. Take Hwy 71 and then Hwy 28 East. Should be a sign. About 20 miles or so. Huge logging town until the early 40s. About everything is gone. The streets used to be driveable.