Anyone have advice on buying land?

You can talk about anything here
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Anyone have advice on buying land?

Post by slow_walker »

I am in Washington state so I know there are state specific taxes and regulations (and shit is expensive af), but ignoring all of that I am going to tour this land for sale this weekend and if no major concerns turn up I think I will make an offer: https://cschlotfeldt.johnlscott.com/lis ... -/20029696

My intentions are to initially use it as an escape from the city on weekends, somewhere I can camp whenever I want. The first few years I would work towards a tiny home or small cabin and then keep building/improving until it's a place I can retire to in about 15 years or so. Just looking for opinions.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: Anyone have advice on buying land?

Post by SubLunar »

Nope, but I would love to do something like that.
slow_walker

Post by slow_walker »

I had a friend talk me out of this specific piece of land because it's surrounded by reservation land. She mentioned there may be future issues where the reservation decides I cannot cross their land to access this acreage, or something similar. While the lot I was looking at is "deeded", meaning the owner can do whatever they want with it, it would be inaccessible if the reservation land was blocked to me for any reason.
Chubz
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Chubz »

slow_walker wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:07 am I had a friend talk me out of this specific piece of land because it's surrounded by reservation land. She mentioned there may be future issues where the reservation decides I cannot cross their land to access this acreage, or something similar. While the lot I was looking at is "deeded", meaning the owner can do whatever they want with it, it would be inaccessible if the reservation land was blocked to me for any reason.
Are reservations not beholden to road easement laws?

Not that I wouldn't recommend not being on good terms with the rez for many reasons... but even if they wanted to cut off access, I would think they still have to follow the same easement rules everyone else does.
ultimate lurker