Post by ropingk »

The Judge
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: What

Post by Nicotti »

More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: RE: What's a good movie to rent?

Post by SubLunar »

RedRook wrote:You might not even need to rent this one. I'm sure the History channel will air it at some point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG2utrMwTyY
How have I not heard about those movies before now?
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

SubLunar wrote:
RedRook wrote:You might not even need to rent this one. I'm sure the History channel will air it at some point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG2utrMwTyY
How have I not heard about those movies before now?
They were crowd funded and they're produced around the world in an open source, everyone working for free kind of way. The first one was so amazingly bad and good at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py_IndUbcxc
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

SubLunar wrote:Just saw Fury. Damn good movie.
Just found out something interesting: The Tiger tank in Fury is actually the last operational Tiger tank in the world. That's awesome that they used a real one in the movie, but crazy that it's the only operational one left. Damn. I guess I'll have to try to find a Panzer IV.

Also, I tried watching Inglorious Basterds last night. It was pretty stupid so I didn't make it beyond about 30 minutes.
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

SubLunar wrote:Also, I tried watching Inglorious Basterds last night. It was pretty stupid so I didn't make it beyond about 30 minutes.
Not a Quentin Tarantino fan?
Preservation over plunder.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: What's a good movie to rent?

Post by SubLunar »

Normally I am, I just think that movie kinda sucked. I've liked all of the other movies I've seen of his. Hateful Eight looks like it's gonna be good.
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

mindwaave wrote:
SubLunar wrote:Also, I tried watching Inglorious Basterds last night. It was pretty stupid so I didn't make it beyond about 30 minutes.
Not a Quentin Tarantino fan?
I'm certainly not. Django Unchained was the only one of his that I liked.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

A while back we watched American Horror Story: Asylum and I thought it was pretty good for the most part. I've always thought asylums are the coolest types of places to explore, so I may be biased. Hell, the show starts off with people exploring an asylum.

Last night I watched "Mysteries at the Museum" which is a fairly low-budget/aimed at younger audience history show and the episode about the real life Blackwell Asylum in New York. I found there to be a lot of interesting coincidences and although the internet doesn't seem to know this, American Horror Story's Asylum was clearly based on this real life place and the reporter, Nellie Bly, who had herself committed in order to report on conditions in the asylum.

Not only is the AHS story (loosely) based on the real story, so was the location. The Asylum in the show was really cool. Big circular staircase in the middle of a large round or octagonal room. Well, Blackwell's Asylum had the same feature. And it was abandoned for a while. The main Octagonal portion of the building with the circular staircase still remains, albeit restored/repurposed, but damn. That place would have been fucking awesome to explore back in the day.

https://macaulay.cuny.edu/eportfolios/b ... lt-island/
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Re: What

Post by mindwaave »

^ Cool!

I watched a clever thriller/horror movie called Session 9 a few years ago, and just remembered to look into the location it was filmed at. Danvers State Asylum in Massachusetts was "a multi-acre, self-contained psychiatric hospital designed and built according to the Kirkbride Plan. It is rumored to have been the birthplace of the pre-frontal lobotomy." The movie shows the creepy tunnels and unique interior of the building, and was pretty gripping.

Preservation over plunder.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

UGH Danvers..

I remember falling in love with that place over the internets. Hoping to visit some day. But then it burned down. I think part of it was renovated into an apartment. complex.
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

My friend sent me a DVD he filmed while exploring Danvers like 20 years ago.

I watched only like 30 seconds of it, though. It was just some young punks exploring, and I was jealous.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Just looked up the apartment building that now inhabits the old octagon building from the Blackwell asylum and.. damn. They really uglied the place up. Doesn't even look remotely like that anymore. LAME

http://www.octagonnyc.com/photos
YOU@CITY
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by YOU@CITY »

A prophet

Animal kingdom

Hair brained

Gigantic
"What A Fool Cannot Comprehend He Laughs At, Thinking That By His Laughter He Shows Superiority Instead Of Latent Idiocy."
YOU@CITY
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by YOU@CITY »

"What A Fool Cannot Comprehend He Laughs At, Thinking That By His Laughter He Shows Superiority Instead Of Latent Idiocy."