Sunflower Ammunition Plant

Urban exploration in Kansas
peterbillionaire
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: Sunflower Ammunition Plant

Post by peterbillionaire »

Our friend Mikro was arrested there last Sunday. He was held for 24 hours while they processed the arrest and he got bailed out. He has been charged with criminal trespassing.
lobo
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by lobo »

That sucks, guess I will go elsewhere for now. :(
TooMuchCoffee
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Re: Sunflower Ammunition Plant

Post by TooMuchCoffee »

The ammo plant in Camden AR is called the Highland Industrial Park. It is a WWII era Navy ammo plant/base. The main base area and buildings is SAU Tech. The Arkansas Fire Academy and the Law Enforcement Academy is based there. Lots of neat old buildings there. However, there are several defense contractor plants there. They make fun things like rockets, rocket fuel, and warheads. Really neat to watch them burn off the excess rocket fuel. There are "igloo" bunkers everywhere. In 2002, several igloos suddenly and unexplainedly exploded. Estimated 100,000 pounds detonated. Nobody ever said why there was that much or how much more explosives are there.

In Oklahoma, the only US Ordinance plant owned by the government making explosives is still operating out of a WWII era base in WWII era buildings with WWII era equipment. Making the explosives for bombs or artilliary shells has actually changed very little over the years. Ya mix a batch up and pour it into the bomb casing. Recently, several employees were exposed and suffered from "TNT" poisoning.

Defense contractors love these old bases because they don't have to build 'em and most have the igloos and such they need. Chances are this plant has one or more contractors at work inside. Most operations are very low key on purpose not to draw attention to themselves.
"Anyone else smell that?"
TooMuchCoffee
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by TooMuchCoffee »

The Highland Industrial Park in East Camden AR was called the Shumaker site. Go Goggle Earth, look for Camden AR, find East Camden and the Highland Park. The buildings are almost all being used now that there is a war in progress. Look for the rows of igloos.
Stalker
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Stalker »

A friend told me about this website and it is too cool. I have been exploring Sunflower Army Ammunition Plant for years. I have noticed an increase in law enforcement activity lately. So, if you do explore the plant be careful. As others have stated, there are plenty of hazards besides the Johnson county SO. I have seen sewer drain grates made of wood, which were rotten or missing leaving a nice deep hole to disappear in. Also, I think we stumbled across some asbestos in some of the buildings (see the pic look at the white stuff on the ventilation duct work Asbestos?). I ought to send some pics to the EPA. Anyway, have fun and be safe. I will try to post some more pics later.
Attachments
Asbestos?
Asbestos?
lobo
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by lobo »

Sunflower sounds like a paradise for us folks, but sound risky. Is there a good way to go in, places to stay away from. I dont mind a little risk, but jail is not a place I want to explore. No do I want to glow in the dark when I leave there!!!
Stalker
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Stalker »

Risky it is…If you are not familiar with the site I would suggest waiting until the area cools off. As I said earlier, the sheriff’s dept is all over the place. Last week I was out there trying out my new night vision goggles and they were conducting some type of surveillance on the northwest section of the plant.

So areas to avoid is the newer facility on the northwest section of the plant. I personally avoid the area around the main entrance off 103rd street, K-State area off 135th and Spoon Creek, and anywhere the contractors are working. These areas have activity and there is no point of being accused of stealing or vandalizing, besides there is plenty of other interesting things to check out.

The subject of gaining access is a little tricky. The plant was owned by the Army and they had security police patrolling the area. They were there all the time and you really had to be careful. But, you could park near the site and so long as they could not see your vehicle. I guess the SO and security didn’t work together. But, now that its not federal property and the sheriff’s office patrols the area, they will question any vehicles parked near the plant. Why is the county patrolling private property? Our tax dollars at waste. So, you have to have someone drop you off, or park somewhere not to raise eyebrows, such as the Kill Creek Park at 115th and Homestead Lane. There is a hiking trail that goes to the north, this trail ends with a loop next to the plant fence. Just south of the trail is a bridge, where one could walk along the creek and into the plant under the bridge. Of course, this is a very obvious area for the police to be watching. Good luck. BTW - they are more than likely trolling here as well.
Attachments
Kill Creek Park - East side of Sunflower Army Plant
Kill Creek Park - East side of Sunflower Army Plant
peterbillionaire
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

I cannot understand why there is so much police interest in this site. Mikro thought it was in connection with the theft of copper. OK -- theft is theft, but all of those buildings are abandoned and will be razed, so that does not seem to justify so much police presence. Also, he said that there is ongoing blasting for demolition, and explosives were stored there, which might explain it. But would they leave explosives in abandoned buildings?
TooMuchCoffee
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by TooMuchCoffee »

The buildings may have explosive bunkers (magazines) built in them. Also, if there is an accidental detenation, an abandoned building is not a lost and in theory, nobody should be inside.

Most likely, since its an old Army munition plant and theres DOD contractors operating inside, the SO is being paid through Homeland Security funds. The contractors could have contracted the SO directly. The war of terror is the new Cold War for the contractors, so the DOD money is flowing again. This most likely equals extra money for the county and overtime for the deputies.
Also, there is a concern that until the plants have been properly "sanitized", a terrorist might find old explosives or chemicals lying around. Since these were military sites, normal EPA rules were ignored.

Highland Park in Arkansas hired the National Guard for almost a year after 9/11 to provide "enhanced" (i.e. machine guns) security. Now they hire moonlighting SO deputies. Paid for by a combo of contractors and Homeland security funds.
Stalker
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Stalker »

The only thing its not owned by the DOD, the land was transfered to a private developer Kessinger/Hunter in 2005 see newspaper article http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/s ... st=s_cn_hl. There must have been some type of problem, like the copper theft peterbillionair was talking about, that has prompted so much interest by the sheriff's office.

It could be that Kessinger Hunter has a whole lot of clout with the county, well that goes without saying, how does the US govt give away 10.000 arces and give them funds to clean up the site. I have been following Sunflower in the news for some time and do not recall where this transfer even went out on any type of bid process. Sound familar?, an you say Halliburton I think you can. Again our tax dollars at waste
Stalker
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Stalker »

Back to Lobo's question of what to check out - There's some sort of missile testing range that's real cool and a facility with underground tunnels. I have marked these on the attached pic.

The places peterbillionaire took the pics from is also pretty cool. I have placed those locations on the second map. If I got it wrong PeterB then let me know.

The earlier discription of Kill Creek Park is also marked.

Although, access to the plant is real easy from the park at the current time I would be real leary of attempting this. Just file this away for another day. Mr Sheriff may be waiting to nab ya like Peterb's friend.

The below pics should give you the lay of the land, well part of it anyway. Go to Google Earth and check out the rest of the plant. This thing is in deed large. Stay tuned next week boys and girls for Stalker's fishing tips
Attachments
127 Spoon Creek.GIF
Stalker
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Stalker »

Overview Map with Peterbillionaire's Pic locations
Attachments
pics map 3.GIF
peterbillionaire
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

All correct, Stalker -- wow, impressive! --you really know that place!

We also saw the nitroguanidine facility in the northwest corner -- pic attached.

I put many more pics at kcurbex and uer.ca, if you are a member at either site.
Attachments
Sunflower Army Ammunition Plant 008.jpg
Stalker
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Stalker »

That comes from twenty plus years of using the plant as my personal playground. Exploring, hunting, fishing, hunting deer sheds, hunting mushrooms, and just plain sneaking around without getting caught. The part about not getting caught is most important.
lobo
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by lobo »

Stalker, how big was your largest deer shed, I have heard there are some monsters in there? Twenty years, man, I imagine you have seen it all.

What is the best day to go in? Stalker, you going in at night with night vision?, that would be creepy.

All the cops still got me shook up, like it was earlier stated, more than likely they are looking for theifs, but you got to have some real N*&* to go in there with all that SO around.