500+ Poster

RE: The "What are you reading?" thread

Post by SubLunar »

slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Post by slow_walker »

Would you believe I've just recently discovered Agatha Christie? I've been an avid reader my whole life but I was never interested in Mystery so I never read her. Uh, you guys, don't make the same mistake. Give her a try. It doesn't matter that it's a mystery book, I love the way she wrote. And they're quick, easy reads that are enjoyable without taking a lot of focus. Plus, she tricks me every time on who the bad guy is.

Other than that, I just finished the Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson which is sort of a follow up to his amazing Mistborn Trilogy. It takes place 300 years after the Mistborn series and is meant to be a standalone, so you can read it without reading the others. But I highly recommend the Mistborn trilogy to anyone who likes fantasy books. The system of magic he invents and the way it is used is so amazing. Look them up, they're very highly reviewed.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Re: The "What are you reading?" thread

Post by BROUSER »

Slow, I'm the same way about Elmore Leonard. I read three of his novels recently and wondered why I had waited so long. He created Justified, Get Shorty, and so many movies were made about his books.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

Not reading it.. but it is a book.

There is a mini series from 1978-79 that is amazing on Centennial CO from the mid 1700s to 1970. Packed full of stars from the time and it had a HUGE budget so its pretty good.

But its 21 hours long. Its on YouTube for free in 12 segments. I caught #8 on Starrs this weekend and watched it to the end and loved every minute of it. I am going to go back and catch the first 7 on youtube.

Love love love things that show families and history and the fabric of everything.
Kit wrote:I am old
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Re: RE: The "What are you reading?" thread

Post by mindwaave »

Looks like an interesting read.

I haven't yet read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, so I figured I'd start today.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Kerouac is good. Should also read Electric Kool Aid Acid Test. And keep an eye out for this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neal_Cassady
I find him incredibly interesting in that he was right there for so much that happened during that time.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Was the author being paid per word in the title?
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

I'm not sure who came up with the title, but the book was written by Black Hawk (a Native American Chief local to the midwest/Saint Louis area) through an interpreter. It was the first published Native American autobiography and was a best seller in its time.
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

Evolution of a Missouri Asylum: Fulton State Hospital 1851-2006
http://books.google.com/books/about/Evo ... lDZPUJhBoC
aka "That Guy"
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

BagHead727 wrote:Evolution of a Missouri Asylum: Fulton State Hospital 1851-2006
http://books.google.com/books/about/Evo ... lDZPUJhBoC
Cool!
Preservation over plunder.
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins.

He makes a lot of good points, but absolutely beats them to death. I understand the book is meant for a wide audience, but damn.. 450 pages and only a few new points to consider.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

The Doors of Perception - Aldous Huxley

As good as I expected it to be, which is to say it's pretty damn good so far.
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

Recently read:

California Ghost Towns - makes me want to start panning for gold.

An Astronauts Guide To Earth - it was a gift, an autobiography of Chris Hadfield.

Riding The American Dream - a business study of the failed Excelsior Henderson motorcycle company revival in the late 1990s. Pretty damn interesting, and I have even more to say about it off-line.

The Terrible Hours - The story of the sinking of the Squalus submarine in the 1930s and the details of the first successful/attemped underwater rescue. Lots of good info. (Yet, I don't like when books are written like this; moments of dialog between historical facts. As if some guy writing a book 50 years later knows the exact words and expressions of some Navy guys as their submarine is sinking?)