About a mile west of 65 on the north side of Kearney

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

About a mile west of 65 on the north side of Kearney

Post by crazydrummerdude »

There is a warehouse looking building wide open with a "No Trespassing" sign and like 6 over-grown cabin things next to it.

Anyone know what it is/was?
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: About a mile west of 65 on the north side of Kearney

Post by paul06660 »

Probably the old Cowboys 2000 building. It has like 6 or small overgrown cottages behind it.

Cowboys 2000 was a night club of extreme sin-committing and thus therefore the conservative government tried to do everything it could to shut the place down. Just like it did with most all other big night clubs in town. :(
We are all just sloguns waiting to have our triggers pulled.
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Re: RE: About a mile west of 65 on the north side of Kearney

Post by Kit »

paul06660 wrote:Probably the old Cowboys 2000 building. It has like 6 or small overgrown cottages behind it.

Cowboys 2000 was a night club of extreme sin-committing and thus therefore the conservative government tried to do everything it could to shut the place down. Just like it did with most all other big night clubs in town. :(

looked to me those used to be a road side hotel sorta thing.

BAHAHAHAHA cowboys always had people stabbing each other out there even some shootings.. It got so bad the police had to say they couldnt be used as their security anymore ... that had nothing to do with the government lol
Kit wrote:I am old
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Re: About a mile west of 65 on the north side of Kearney

Post by lolabelle »

The cottages are left over from the Rt 66 days. There are a few of those "motor parks" or whatever still on that side of town.

I noticed the other day that someone has finally started demolition/renovation of the Cowboys building. Took long enough.
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Post by slow_walker »

I love those cottages. I always want to pull in there and take pics, but I'm never over there at a good time. And I'm not brave enough during the times I am over there.
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

slow_walker wrote:And I'm not brave enough during the times I am over there.
Is it a bad part of town? Seems like the rest of Springfield.. just generic warehouse buildings up and down the street.

Which reminds me, it looked like there may be a decent little storm drain in front of United Rentals not far from the place I was first talking about.
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

It's more of a commercial/industrial area. Lots of trucking businesses there. Back when Cowboys was open, I would say yes, it could be dangerous at times. Cops were almost always in the area during busy bar times, due to frequent fights and other violence at that place. It was pretty sketchy/ridiculous.
slow_walker

Post by slow_walker »

I just meant I'm never over that way until after dark most of the time (friend works second shift at a business over there) and Im a girl, so I don't walk around in the dark much by myself.
OkieMan
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by OkieMan »

slow_walker wrote:I love those cottages. I always want to pull in there and take pics, but I'm never over there at a good time. And I'm not brave enough during the times I am over there.
You better take them as soon as you can. There were some neat little cottages outside Sapulpa, OK that I wanted to take pictures of, but just thought, they'll be around for a long time, so I'll wait. They tore them down within the last 2 years. Seems like they could have put them on some kind of historical list and keep them up. It was sad to see a warehouse type building in their place the last time I drove by.
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Fiend »

OkieMan wrote:
slow_walker wrote:I love those cottages. I always want to pull in there and take pics, but I'm never over there at a good time. And I'm not brave enough during the times I am over there.
You better take them as soon as you can. There were some neat little cottages outside Sapulpa, OK that I wanted to take pictures of, but just thought, they'll be around for a long time, so I'll wait. They tore them down within the last 2 years. Seems like they could have put them on some kind of historical list and keep them up. It was sad to see a warehouse type building in their place the last time I drove by.
They tore them down?! Well shit, I was planning on going to look at them too...
horrorshow chelloveck
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by horrorshow chelloveck »

I think we discussed this before, but Cowboys 2000 totally sounds like it should be a gay bar.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

RE: About a mile west of 65 on the north side of Kearney

Post by Willard »

It's an old motel court, the name of which escapes me at the moment. To the west of Cowboys was the old Holiday Drive-In Theater. I don't know if the sign is still there or not, but I know a few years ago they finally tore down the snack bar, the ticket pavilion and the screen. It was sad.

As for motel courts around Springfield, you'll find several on Glenstone about half of what used to be there, you'll find several on Kerney, one is where Ryan's World Wide Gives is, another has a used care lot or something on half it's property. there's some out west of town on Chestnut Expy., College Street Between Kansas Expy and Chestnut Expy has a few left (the Rainbow used to be where Cody's is at Kansas and College), and there are some out on Sunshine out west before you get to the West by-pass and just after the West By-Pass also furthur out on that highway toward republic after the overpass are about three more.

I'm of the belief that Springfield had more motel courts than any other place in the country at one time.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
OkieMan
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by OkieMan »

Willard wrote: To the west of Cowboys was the old Holiday Drive-In Theater. I don't know if the sign is still there or not, but I know a few years ago they finally tore down the snack bar, the ticket pavilion and the screen. It was sad.
I noticed it on the google maps. It's pretty neat to see old drive-ins on google maps. There are a few around tulsa that you can still see. I'm suprised they haven't been turned into something. Though, some are in the part of town that no one wants to build.
slow_walker

Post by slow_walker »

Willard wrote:also furthur out on that highway toward republic after the overpass are about three more.
And these are all still in use.
horrorshow chelloveck
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by horrorshow chelloveck »

slow_walker wrote:
Willard wrote:also furthur out on that highway toward republic after the overpass are about three more.
And these are all still in use.
Ah yes, I think I've been past some of these. It's nice to see that there's a few left.