Old US 60/65 James River bridge

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
bugo
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Old US 60/65 James River bridge

Post by bugo »

http://bridges.midwestplaces.com/mo/greene/river-road/

I was coming back to AR to visit when I lived in Knob Noster through Springfield and had noticed that there was a bridge on the Greene County map at this location, so I decided to check it out, and the bridge was there. Not sure if it had been mentioned on here or not.

The Greene County map also shows an old alignment of MO 13 just north of Springfield to near Glidewell, including a bridge over the Little Sac River. I never checked it out, are there any old bridges along it? Does it look like a vintage old highway or just any ordinary county road?

Hey Beavis, I said "sac".

Speaking of MO 13 north, what's up with that section where the NB lanes follow the old highway and the SB lanes run quite a distance to the west? I was coming home when I lived in KC once and met a car going southbound in the northbound lanes. Thankfully I was in the right-hand lane. Something needs to be done, even if it's simply widening the NB lanes to provide a SB lane.
David Keetz
Mercurial Disciple
Mercurial Disciple

RE: Old US 60/65 James River bridge

Post by David Keetz »

hehe...you were about 100 yards away from Winoka Lodge
Mindscape
The Leprechaun
The Leprechaun

Re: Old US 60/65 James River bridge

Post by Mindscape »

bugo wrote:The Greene County map also shows an old alignment of MO 13 just north of Springfield to near Glidewell, including a bridge over the Little Sac River. I never checked it out, are there any old bridges along it? Does it look like a vintage old highway or just any ordinary county road?
I used to live up there.

Old 13 is actually the outer road now on the eastern side of the highway. It runs basically parallel to new 13 for quite a way, and you can use it to avoid hassles with traffic if you want to avoid stupid people on major holidays and stuff. It ends at the Jump station out in the middle of nowhere-ish along new 13.

There's basically a bunch of spiffy older farm houses (nothing too ancient, though), some nice rural neighborhoods, and a couple of creeks. As for the bridges over the Little Sac River and its Dry Branch, they aren't interesting, really, they're just basic bridges. However, the creeks themselves are pretty cool.

Maybe sometime when I'm up there, we can convince my fiance to either go with us or let us go wading in the creek. I know where a couple of caves are, and a really awesome offshoot of the stream that's basically a smallish delta entirely populated by cattails, which are pretty hard to find growing wild in Missouri anymore. Plus, there are deer, turkeys, raccoons, mink, possums, and maybe a few more things down there.
"I'm going deeper underground.
There's too much panic in this town."