Post Something Interesting

You can talk about anything here
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: Post Something Interesting

Post by Nicotti »

I feel the need to join the religion conversation... but I really don't feel like arguing any points so ... I'm just mentioning this, with no real point or purpose.

Interestingly enough, I am Lutheran.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

When I see a lot of posts by SubLunar and Brouser, I don't even bother reading them. Those two pals are pretty chatty.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Who farted?
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

BROUSER wrote:Who farted?
Sorry...
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
Cerealkiller
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Cerealkiller »

Whoever smelt it dealt it.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

crazydrummerdude wrote:When I see a lot of posts by SubLunar and Brouser, I don't even bother reading them. Those two pals are pretty chatty.
I was just bitching about a recent church service I was forced to endure in which the whole thing was about not having sex before marriage. It got in my ladyfriend's head a little bit and that really pissed me off.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Post Something Interesting

Post by SubLunar »

Furthermore, "No sex before marriage" isn't one of the ten commandments. But using the Lord's name in vein is. In fact, using the Lord's name in vein is punishable by death.

So I would take that as meaning the use of the phrase "god damnit" is much worse than having sex before marriage.

Why wasn't the pastor going on about that instead?

Methinks the Church's pre-occupation with that is due, at least in part, to the fact that marriage is a source of revenue for them. So is marriage counseling, etc.
Matthew 5:32 - anyone who marries a divorced woman commits adultery

Also, this is pretty good.

Ok, I promise I'm done now.
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

They might be going on about it too because of the large number of teenage pregnancies... Not many kids are effected from people using the Lords name in vain. Sex outside of marriage which results in a baby can lead to the child having a rougher go at it vs. a baby that is born into a happily married family.
Kit wrote:I am old
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

I don't doubt that, but it was during a regular service. That kind of crap should be reserved for the sunday school or teen services or whatever they call it.

Why don't they preach about the sin of marrying a divorced woman? It's adultery!

This was commanded in the New Testament too, so that can't be simply brushed off as being no longer applicable as much of the old testament is claimed to be, though they still pick and choose what they want.

The 10 commandments were part of the old testament after all.... If we can disregard killing everyone who's worked on a Sunday, we can disregard the 10 commandments.

Someone stop me already! This is too easy..
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

If the divorced woman was cheated on the husband broke the covenant and its not adultery.
Kit wrote:I am old
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Kit wrote:If the divorced woman was cheated on the husband broke the covenant and its not adultery.
..The one caveat.

My girlfriend is divorced. She was not cheated on.

I'm committing adultery if I marry her or having sex outside of marriage if I don't.

Which is the greater sin?
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

I worked with this silly asshole who's girlfriend was going out getting drunk at bars and fucking people behind his back. Everyone seemed to know it but him. He worked to feed, clothe, and provide shelter for her and her two kids, but he said he never had sex with her because they were Pentecostals and not yet married.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

What a poor stupid bastard.

-

Here, we see that both I and the girlfriend are to be put to death if we get married (because marrying a divorced woman is adultery, clearly defined in Matthew 5:32).

But there is no punishment of death if we just continue what we're doing now (There are several Bible verses that condemn adulterers to death but none that have such strong condemnations for sex before marriage).

So I need to make sure I don't marry her!
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Post by GlassCurtain »

However, according to Deuteronomy 22:28-29, it would be ok if you were to rape her, pay her father 50 shekels then you HAVE to marry her.
“I investigate things to complete my knowledge, my complete knowledge makes my thoughts sincere, my thoughts being sincere; my heart is pure.”

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glasscurtain/
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: RE: Post Something Interesting

Post by Nicotti »

SubLunar wrote:I don't doubt that, but it was during a regular service. That kind of crap should be reserved for the sunday school or teen services or whatever they call it.

Why don't they preach about the sin of marrying a divorced woman? It's adultery!

This was commanded in the New Testament too, so that can't be simply brushed off as being no longer applicable as much of the old testament is claimed to be, though they still pick and choose what they want.

The 10 commandments were part of the old testament after all.... If we can disregard killing everyone who's worked on a Sunday, we can disregard the 10 commandments.

Someone stop me already! This is too easy..
Come on man! If you grew up Lutheran, you should at least know that the commandments still apply but that Christ's death on the cross freed us from that burden. But make not a mistake, that doesn't mean God doesn't mind if you sin now. He still doesn't like it and the punishment for it is still to go to hell. And belief in Christ and therefore God (cause as a Lutheran you should be familiar with the triune God concept) is what frees people from the burden of the Law.

Now why that pastor doesn't preach that idk. But there! You've managed to put me into the conversation briefly.

Also I don't understand where people get all these funky ideas of what hell is. Here's the deal, in my own words. God said, "I love you more than anything else. In fact I love you enough that I want you to have free will so you can decide to love me back if you choose. But if you hate me back, I'll still love you and I'll give you what you want, a spot in the afterlife that is totally void of me. I will set aside a place for you and even though I am every place else, this one place I will not enter because you don't want me there." And boom, there you go that is "hell". Though to all the people that don't want God in their lives it may not be.

Idk, the whole belief in God seems simple to me and makes sense to me now, but it took me 25 odd years to figure it out, so whatever to the rest of you, but that's part of what I believe.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand