Dam tours

Urban exploration in Missouri
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Dam tours

Post by paul06660 »

I was wondering if they still give tours of the dam at Stockton Lake. I have been going back up there lately on the weekends getting some plans ready for the summer.

A long time ago, like when I was like 9 or 10, I lived in El Dorado Springs in Cedar County. One of the really cool field trips we got to go on was a tour of the inside of Stockton Dam. I was a little kid back then and all the badass machines were so big back then. There is a hella lot of stuff to see down there. Even some really deep tunnels that go under the dam.

Well, as we all know after 9-11-01 they closed off the road that goes to the bottom of the dam. Only recently, like within the last few years have they had it open down there where you could see the spillway. They have also installed emergency life savers on the fences in case someone falls over. You wouldnt have much time anyways considering how fast, cold and deep that water is.

Well I would love to take another tour of the place, however I have no clue who to call. Anyone know? Anyone have any pictures of the inside of a dam they would like to share?

Also they had to take one of the generators out because it needs some repairs. It would be cool to see what a pulled generator looks like, if they would allow tours during that time.
We are all just sloguns waiting to have our triggers pulled.
DigitalNinja
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Re: Dam tours

Post by DigitalNinja »

It would be fun to see the inside of a dam again... I was on a similar tour of a dam in CO as a kid.
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

i thought i read a story that the dam was not working inside that the machinery was broken. So I wouldnt think they would give tours of a broken dam.
Kit wrote:I am old
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Post by slow_walker »

Damn.
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

+1

i had to take a bunch of N's off when i typed that post.. habit made me dirty
Kit wrote:I am old
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Dam tours

Post by paul06660 »

I figured that they might not give tours while they are pulling a generator turbine. Mabie Table Rock Dam is available to tour? I know that they have had tours there in the past.
When I toured Stockton Dam it was quite surprising how much there was to see. We went down a lot of stairs to the bottom of the dam. There was a long tunnel that we saw that went under the place, I think the lower most tunnel under the dam. There was also the Power House and some other places down there. One of which was this room that had what looked like a big Piston in the middle. When It was activated a sleeve covered it and it did its thing. The room had all kinds of computer controls in it, in a circle. There was a very tall spiral staircase that led to a room that had power meters for every customer in the area that directly used the dam for electricity.

Has anyone ever seen Powersite Dam on Lake Taney CoMo?
A few years ago the water was way down and me and a friend walked in front of it as far as we could. There was actually a walkway in the middle of the dam itslef. Looks like you would be able to walk literally under the falling water when it is flowing. I would like to tour that dam too.
We are all just sloguns waiting to have our triggers pulled.