Rolla, MO??

Urban exploration in Missouri
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

Re: Rolla, MO??

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

Today I visited the remnants of the woodcrest trailer park north of town. I revisited an old haunt to reminisce upon good times, and marvel in awe at some incredible works of art. Behold these true masterpieces of pure virtuosic creativity and imagination.

Also this place is available for exploring. Not much but a bunch of mold and spider webs, but it's something.

mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

Plentiful penile puns were made in that shed... Can't believe you were able to revisit lol
Preservation over plunder.
SNAAAAAKE
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by SNAAAAAKE »

Deadnotsleeping wrote:
SNAAAAAKE wrote:Thanks! We ended up trying to go scout it out a bit tonight, but it was very dark, very windy, resulting in a lot of extremely spooky noises (including one that my friend swears was a chainsaw). We're planning on going back to visit during the day soon, where hopefully we won't be too spooked to wiggle in through the window.
BIG WARNING HERE:
DO NOT GO INSIDE OR TOUCH THE DOORS AT THE CANTEX FACTORY. THE INSIDE OF THE FACTORY HAS MOTION DETECTORS AND SILENT DOOR ALARMS THAT WILL CALL THE POLICE.
Yeppers, found it out the hard way, haha. We stayed in the cars and they took down our information when we explained we didn't actually go inside. apparently there is old copper wire in there and people have been stealing that.

In the meantime, I've thoroughly explored the steam tunnels beneath Rolla's campus, but have heard there is another system of tunnels that goes underneath like most of the Rolla as a city itself? Wondering if anyone has any information, as I can't find anything except for some rumors here and there.

Also made a habit of visiting most of the firetowers in the area, Rosati is short enough to be fun to climb up the outside (dang adrenaline junky), Fort Leonard Wood is accessible to the public, but the cage up top is locked, Dixon is fairly cool, but the Lenox and Freeburg Towersites are definitely my favorite. There's a very friendly cat at the Lenox towersite, he's been there every time I've visited.

On the way to the Dixon towersite, we stopped at the Trail of Tears memorial. It's currently being renovated and is covered by no trespassing and camera surveillance signs. Not sure about the validity of the camera surveillance, but a cop happened to see us pull out of there when we decided not to risk it, and explained that there's been some problems with vandalism and theft (not sure what to steal but like, okay.) The sign said it should be legitimately open again in April.

I'm planning on visiting the Cherryville school soon, and Iberia Academy looks cool too, and the Bourbon Motel, and I think I found the location on maps for Bussman Lodge, are there any other cool places to explore around those any of those sites? They're mostly 45+ minutes out, so if we can hit more than one ruin or abandoned building in a trip, that would be great.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

SNAAAAAKE wrote:
In the meantime, I've thoroughly explored the steam tunnels beneath Rolla's campus
There are 2 other sets of tunnels under campus buildings besides the main one. I was lucky enough to have serendipity on my side to get in them after a long time waiting and dismissing rumors of their existance, but they exist.

SNAAAAAKE wrote: ... but have heard there is another system of tunnels that goes underneath like most of the Rolla as a city itself? Wondering if anyone has any information, as I can't find anything except for some rumors here and there.
Negative. I've checked numerous manholes downtown and sewers and followed a bunch of leads from locals who say things about tunnels...closest I've found is the underground storage facility under the old autozone but no tunnels. We even checked out the basement of the old Uptown theater before it was demo'd in 2010, but nothing other than a coal chute was found.
SNAAAAAKE wrote:I think I found the location on maps for Bussman Lodge, are there any other cool places to explore around those any of those sites?
Bussman is really just some stone foundations and chimneys in the national forest. You'll definitely want a 4x4 to get back in there as the roads are pretty rough. Other than that, there's not much else back there. Pillman cave is just down J hwy though, visible from the road.
Eagle90
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Eagle90 »

Is Pillman cave the huge one above the old store down at the intersection?
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

Eagle90 wrote:Is Pillman cave the huge one above the old store down at the intersection?
Yep, goes back maybe 300 ft until large breakdown slabs mark the end.
Eagle90
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Eagle90 »

PANIC! on the Titanic wrote:
Eagle90 wrote:Is Pillman cave the huge one above the old store down at the intersection?
Yep, goes back maybe 300 ft until large breakdown slabs mark the end.
Cool, thanks. I've always wanted to go into that one some day.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

Definitely do, it's a bit of work to get up there, but the view from the mouth of the cave is fantastic.
SNAAAAAKE
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Rolla, MO??

Post by SNAAAAAKE »

We found Onyx Mountain Caverns today (The old show cave with the visitors center)

We managed to move some rocks around and squeeze in the side of the bars. There are some incredible formations!

Right in the entrance, this room is huge!

The pathway up into the cave.

One of the better columns deeper in the cave.

Some neat flowstone also ft. my friends getting hella spooked by a bat that flew past as I was taking the picture

All in all a heckas cool cave.

We unfortunately didn't have time to get in the visitors center because it was like 2am. Still one of the cooler caves we had been to. We moved the rocks back so it looks pretty sealed again.
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Headframe Hunters »

PANIC! on the Titanic wrote:
SNAAAAAKE wrote:
In the meantime, I've thoroughly explored the steam tunnels beneath Rolla's campus
There are 2 other sets of tunnels under campus buildings besides the main one. I was lucky enough to have serendipity on my side to get in them after a long time waiting and dismissing rumors of their existance, but they exist.

SNAAAAAKE wrote: ... but have heard there is another system of tunnels that goes underneath like most of the Rolla as a city itself? Wondering if anyone has any information, as I can't find anything except for some rumors here and there.
Negative. I've checked numerous manholes downtown and sewers and followed a bunch of leads from locals who say things about tunnels...closest I've found is the underground storage facility under the old autozone but no tunnels. We even checked out the basement of the old Uptown theater before it was demo'd in 2010, but nothing other than a coal chute was found.
SNAAAAAKE wrote:I think I found the location on maps for Bussman Lodge, are there any other cool places to explore around those any of those sites?
Bussman is really just some stone foundations and chimneys in the national forest. You'll definitely want a 4x4 to get back in there as the roads are pretty rough. Other than that, there's not much else back there. Pillman cave is just down J hwy though, visible from the road.
The area around the municipal building (previously the colored USO) and behind the library certainly has something going on. I'm not sure if it's tunnels, per se, but the amount of artificial elevation makes me wonder about an underground storage or utility area.

Remember - everywhere has a network of tunnels that everyone's heard of but nobody's seen, running "all over town!"
In loving memory of Nichole - 12/4/1996 -- 12/1/2017

https://headframehunters.blogspot.com/
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

Headframe Hunters wrote: Remember - everywhere has a network of tunnels that everyone's heard of but nobody's seen, running "all over town!"
That ain't no lie!

If I recall correctly, That area there by 8th st and the RR tracks is right around where the first sewers in Rolla were installed. I went out there one night, thinking if they're anything like the 19th century sewers in StL then there are probably nice brick vaults under there. So I spent a night looking around but never found anything. Lame.
Patrica
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Patrica »

Which reminds me, there is a large, yellow building more
 right in the middle of downtown. Looks like they're gutting it.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

Patrica wrote:Which reminds me, there is a large, yellow building more
 right in the middle of downtown. Looks like they're gutting it.
The SPAAAAAAMtom of the opera is here

Inside my ass
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

WTF kinda spam is that?
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Apparently they're getting better at coding the bots to make sense.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand