Rolla, MO??

Urban exploration in Missouri
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Re: Rolla, MO??

Post by mindwaave »

crazydrummerdude wrote:It's been a while since I've been down 63, but is that Jeep/deuce and a half collection still there?

I've been wanting to just offer a few grand for a few of them, but I hear the old guy doesn't want to sell.

I was under the impression he was tied to the junk behind Autozone, too.. hence why I ask.
Yeah, Mr. Dean had (has?) quite the collection of military vehicles and equipment. It's too bad the Autozone got cleared out, but if he's still alive I wouldn't be surprised if his vehicles are still sitting out on his other property.
Preservation over plunder.
Eagle90
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: Rolla, MO??

Post by Eagle90 »

The military vehicles and other junk along 63 south of town are still there. I presume Dean's still alive but I don't know for sure.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

You could try checking the Assessor's page to see if he still owns the property; may give a hint if he's alive.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
Eagle90
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Eagle90 »

Yup, guess I could try that.

Anyone know what the Jordan's Motors house used to be? It looks like it was quite a nice house back in it's day. Kind of sad to see it as a used car stealership.
SNAAAAAKE
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by SNAAAAAKE »

Hey y'all, new user here, but have been lurking for about 6 months now (I'm a freshman at MST). I was wanting to know if the Cantex factory was still a cool and viable place to go visit? Seems like the last post about it was 5 years ago, so I just wanted to check.
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

As far as I know, it's still there. Safest access is via railroad tracks.
SNAAAAAKE
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by SNAAAAAKE »

Thanks! We ended up trying to go scout it out a bit tonight, but it was very dark, very windy, resulting in a lot of extremely spooky noises (including one that my friend swears was a chainsaw). We're planning on going back to visit during the day soon, where hopefully we won't be too spooked to wiggle in through the window.
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

Yeah, it's better in the daylight. Glad you're getting out there!

An aerospace acquaintance of mine from Rolla (who currently works with NASA) spotted this recently sitting in town...
P wrote:How did a Rocketdyne H-1 engine, the engine that powered the Saturn 1B rocket taking the Apollo 7 astronauts to space, end up in a junk yard in Rolla?!
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

That's fucking awesome.
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Headframe Hunters »

How in the hell!?
In loving memory of Nichole - 12/4/1996 -- 12/1/2017

https://headframehunters.blogspot.com/
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

Uhhhhh...... WANT. WANT WANT. WANT WANT WANT. Is it for sale?

Seriously. Want to PM me some info on that?
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Maybe it had something to do with the Rocketdyne plant in Neosho?
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
Deadnotsleeping
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Deadnotsleeping »

SNAAAAAKE wrote:Thanks! We ended up trying to go scout it out a bit tonight, but it was very dark, very windy, resulting in a lot of extremely spooky noises (including one that my friend swears was a chainsaw). We're planning on going back to visit during the day soon, where hopefully we won't be too spooked to wiggle in through the window.
BIG WARNING HERE:
DO NOT GO INSIDE OR TOUCH THE DOORS AT THE CANTEX FACTORY. THE INSIDE OF THE FACTORY HAS MOTION DETECTORS AND SILENT DOOR ALARMS THAT WILL CALL THE POLICE.

I recently went there one night after scouting the place out. All the power to factory looked like it had been cut and the place looked completely abandoned. I walked around the outside of the building exploring it and checking the doors to see if any were unlocked. The place was locked up tight, about the only non-destructive way to get in would be through the roof. So after I finished looking around the outside I got in my truck and started to drive off. But just as I started to slowly drive out a police car pulls out in front of me with his lights on and shines his spotlight at me. I'm completely blinded by the spotlight so I turn off the engine to the truck and started to get out to see what the officer wanted. BIG MISTAKE. The officer comes around to the driver side of my vehicle with his gun pointed at me and yells at me to stay in the vehicle and put my hands up so I close the door and put em up.
At this point I'm shitting my pants and he starts yelling for me to do something else but I cant really understand him from inside the truck so I yell "What?" back him. He yells again for me to get out of the truck and put my hands on the vehicle. I get out and do as I'm told, the officer pats me down and as he's doing so two other police cars arrive. Not much later another cop car shows up with the words "SUPERVISOR" on the license plate. The officer asks me what I'm doing; I tell him the truth: that I was just looking around and taking pictures on the factory. He repeatedly asks me if I'm hunting ghosts or making drugs and I continue to tell him what I said before. After about the 2nd or 3rd time this and showing him some of the pictures I took he starts to believe me. He also asks me if I went inside or tried to open any of the doors.
While the first officer is interrogating me another officer walks out with a police dog that leads the officer to a light post and takes a piss on it. The k-9 officer then repeated says something to the dog (probably some police K-9 code word for "find drugs") but the dog just stares up at the officer, completely clueless on what he wants, before circling around the officer. Then after about the 4th or 5th time of the officer repeating it, the dog finally gets the memo and goes off with the officer searching around the factory.
At the same time another officer gets in one of of the cars and drives around the property looking it over the building with his spotlight.
They have me wait there until they've searched the property.
All in all, they don't find anything, the first officer says that they'll let me off with a warning, and he also tells me about some of the history behind the place.
Apparently the owner and police have had a lot of trouble with people making meth on the property and looting the building.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

:shock: Holy shit dude! I knew the police watched that place closely but not to the extent that they have silent alarms. Although I can see why, as tasty and tempting of an explore as it is I imagine it gets some unwanted traffic. There's nothing in there with looting though, so I'm not sure what people are taking unless it's just general vandalism.

In any case, glad you made it out alive and in your own custody!
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Headframe Hunters »

Man, that's why I don't mess with places near civilization. I was at a surface limestone mine today within sight of I-44; that was uncomfortable enough (one gate was posted, one wasn't, and the USGS indicates that it's public land anyways). I prefer sites that are either out in the boonies, or where I have permission from the owner.

A buddy's dad worked at that plant for twenty years. Later on, a lot of guys would go to the neighborhood across the street to buy meth after their shift - that part of town has a big issue with meth cookers; no surprise they'd try it in a facility like that. My fiancee wanted to scout that one by herself this summer but never got around to it.
In loving memory of Nichole - 12/4/1996 -- 12/1/2017

https://headframehunters.blogspot.com/