Rolla, MO??

Urban exploration in Missouri
MikeC
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Rolla, MO??

Post by MikeC »

Greetings, my wife and I are interested in exploring and photographing abandoned buildings and places. Can anyone suggest some good places in the area to visit?
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

Welcome to the forum! Have you read through this thread yet? On the last page there are some neat cabins and stuff.
Preservation over plunder.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

^ What this guy said.

My advice would be to sift through this thread (it has lots of nice juicy places) and pm mindwaave or myself, or both, and one or both of us can help you out where we can.

Is there anything in particular you'd like to see? (E.g. natural stuff, ruins, active hide-aways such as tunnels, etc)?

I think I can say with 95% confidence that between Mindwaave and I, Rolla and surrounding areas have been pretty well covered, and anything we can get in, on or under we have. Not all our exploits are posted here, not all are more interesting past 'hey I've been in the attic of that building,' but we can check this town off the list. So don't be afraid to tell us if you see something that tickles your fancy, whether it be a forum post or something you drove by and wonder about. We can probably help you out. :)
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Panic, you and Mind ever get into the tunnel in the tj south tower construction pic?
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

No, they renovated all of TJ, including the parking area and front loading area a couple years ago and now the whole front area looks completely different than it did. This also means no more elevator rides, no pool, just lame facades everywhere.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

They took out the pool? Not that anyone ever swam in it any ways, but still.

-Ayn Rand
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

Yeah it's a volleyball area now. lame.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

They should have but in a LARP arena if they wanted to get that demographic to use the area.

-Ayn Rand
MikeC
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by MikeC »

Thanks for the replies guys. I am interested in anything really , buildings, caves, ruins ect . My wife is not so much into the cave/tunnel thing. We have seen most of the places mentioned in this thread. I think we are going to check out some of the smaller towns in the area tomorrow, weather permitting. Do you guys do much explorations of old farm houses? Hopefully we will find some places of interest, if we do I will post what we find.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

If you're into old houses and such, Newberg has a whole bunch you can see off of hwy T. Most likely old meth labs or something; I wouldn't want to get caught messing around anywhere in Newberg. People are too on edge there. Probably because meth.

Have you checked out the old Mayfield area? There's the ruins of the bussman lodge, which aren't hard to find. But there used to be a whole town there way back in the day, and you can find lots of ruins and a cemetery out there.

One thing we did recently just haven't posted about is the trail of tears place near Jerome. We also checked out the Rosati firetower; not a whole lot around there but you can get into the cabin at the top at least.

I don't know of many other farmhouses that are just out there. A lot of the places where there used to be whole neighborhoods (such as Mill Creek, Mayfield, Milldam Hollow, Slaughter Sink area) have little to no trace left.

Maybe check out what's left of the Woodcrest trailer park in Rolla? I havent been there in a year or so, and I think they are moving people out. I might be due for a return trip...
MikeC
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by MikeC »

What's the status of the Trail of Tears place? I think we drove past there once, is it gated? Haven't been to Mayfield area either.
I saw on a previous post that you were out exploring the onyx cave area. Have you ever been in the cave? I know some people that live out there by it and they said it was awesome inside. I want to gain access to it!
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

I will work on the post for the trail of tears place sometime soon. It's super easy to get to, some neat structures back in there. It's right next to Stony Dell resort ruins so those can be examined in the same half day.

I'll PM you about the cave.
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

Image Image

mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

Hey Panic, want to know anything about the Frisco Line?
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

mindwaave wrote:Hey Panic, want to know anything about the Frisco Line?
To the non-mindwaaves, The Frisco line is now the BNSF line running through Rolla. The steam locomotive at Schuman park is a frisco 4-8-2 engine, number 1501, built in 1923. The 1501 caboose is downtown. It is red. I like red. I also like Tbell, and if you don't like tbell then go away, asshole.