Abandoned school in Cushing

Urban exploration in Oklahoma
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Abandoned school in Cushing

Post by Fiend »

Hidden in the woods in north Cushing…. I have heard about this place for awhile now. No one could really give me directions to it unit a month ago, and no one had pictures of it. Its called Satan’s house by legend, but its really the old Norfolk school. The legend is that it burned some time ago and trapped two children in the boiler room in the basement and they died. Its said to be haunted by them. Its also said that this place is used for Satan worshiping (hints the name Satan’s house). I was kind of skeptical about all the rumors, but that changed when I found it. Well I was in there area today and decided to investigate. Its visible from the road, and larger than I thought. I found a little dirt and gravel road that went right up behind it in the woods. Fortunately it was a hidden area where I could park. There was a fence around it, but very easy to get over, and I didn’t see any private property or no trespassing signs. Its definitely a school because of the layout and the fact that it had an indoor basketball court in a large area that was probably the gym, and one of the old hoops is still on the wall. I saw the entrance to the basement, walked down the steps and found my way to the old boiler room. And there it was, a big old cast iron boiler, they don’t make them like that anymore. Chills ran down my back knowing this could be the room where those kids supposedly died. I walked around taking as many pictures as I could. Not much left of the place, which didn’t surprise me since most kids and teens in the area know of this place. There probably was a lot of cool stuff in the place, but judging by all the beer bottles and graffiti, this place has been combed through pretty good. I just wish I could find old pictures of this place before it burned. Although, walking around, I didn’t see any evidence of a fire, so who knows what happened to it. Out front I noticed what looked like a bunker. My best guess is that it was a tornado shelter. It was made out of very thick concrete and had two good sized rooms in it. Anyways, I will let the pictures do the rest of the talking.

Pic of the gym from the upper level

Stairs to the upper level

Basketball hoop

Entrance to basement

Boiler room

Shelter

psychosaw13
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Abandoned school in Cushing

Post by psychosaw13 »

Holy shit dude! What an awesome find!

Did you actually see any alters for the said, Satan worshiping?

I love that 3rd pic where the structure looks like a half pipe or somthing

Good work! kid, Good work!
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Fiend »

Thanks! That 3rd pic is two different sets of stairs going up to the 2nd floor. I didnt really find any evidence of Satan worshiping, so I dont know about that. But everyone calls it Satans house for a reason, so I'm sure shit goes on out there at night, it is basically out in the country. I have some more pics, I'll post them soon.
psychosaw13
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by psychosaw13 »

Bad ass, I can't wait to see some more pics!
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Fiend »

A very old hot water heater in the basement

Entrance to the shelter

One of the rooms in the shelter

I have no idea what this thing was. Its an iron tank of some sort that was in a small brick building right next to the school.
psychosaw13
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by psychosaw13 »

man.... that is just an Awesome! Awesome! place!

I cant wait to see what else you photograph!
yer a hella good picture taker!

what kinda camera do you use?
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Fiend »

Thanks man! I use a 6 megapixel samsung lol, not a very professional camera, but its small, reliable and fits easily in my pocket. Its all about capturing the moment and getting the right angle. My strategy is to take the picture as if you were looking at it through my eyes. Sounds simple, but its effective.
psychosaw13
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by psychosaw13 »

yeah all we got is a 7.2 mp sony cybershot. Personaly I think its a piece of sh*t! but I do the best I can lol.

A majority if the pics I take are either blurry or dark so I end up taking hella more shots than I need too just to get the right one.

Hopfully I'll be getting a new one soon!
Batman
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Batman »

Awesome Pics! Any idea when the school was built or when it caught fire?
I am Batman!
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Fiend »

Well, judging by the architecture and some art deco style here and there, I would say it was built in the late 20's or early 30's. I have no idea when it burned. My grandmother was born and raised in Cushing, and I am willing to bet she went to that school. I need to talk to her and found out some info.
Batman
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Batman »

I thought it looked like it was from 20's or 30's, especially with the size for the gym.
I am Batman!
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

Very, very nice. Thanks.
"That old hag hates my ass."
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Re: Abandoned school in Cushing

Post by Scout »

Did y'all see the drawing of the devil below the basketball goal?
"That old hag hates my ass."
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Fiend »

Oh, must have missed that lol. There was a lot of graffiti, but I didnt get a chance to look around at all of it. I dont like to stick around places too long. I get in, look around, get the pics I want, and get out. I may go back one of these days, maybe at night, see who comes out of the woodwork. When I was leaving, I noticed a small abandoned house in the woods a few hundred feet away from the school. Perhaps that could be the actual "Satans house"... I didnt go in it, so that may be my reason for going back. There is a fair amount of old abandoned buildings in Cushing. Most of those buildings are from the old oil boom. There use to be two refineries in cushing, even more I think, one of them was right in the middle of town. They have been shutdown and dismantled, but there are a few buildings and crumbling structures left, all of which need some exploring.
psychosaw13
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by psychosaw13 »

Ha I missed seeing that devil too! & I looked at all the graffiti.

Yes! man go back.... check out that house!
INVESTIGATE -EXPLORE -PHOTOGRAPH !!!!!!!