The Lost Silver Mine Theatre
Attachments
8j.jpg
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Re: "Lost Silver Mine" Drama in Branson West

Post by slow_walker »

How the hell do I live in this area all my life, make 20 trips to Branson a year for over 30 years and never hear of this place before?
MONKEYMANN
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by MONKEYMANN »

Yea...the cave...if it ever did exist...is supposidly covered by the waters of tablerock lake.

I read somewhere that back in the 60's a diver located a what appeared to be a bricked up cave underwater in this general area...but as the story goes was called up to serve in the Vietnam War before he could explore it further.

Probably another one of those urban legands....
I DIDN'T SAY THAT YOU SAID THAT I SAID THAT......
SteveAlmquist
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: "Lost Silver Mine" Drama in Branson West

Post by SteveAlmquist »

Just so people know, and I think it is pretty clear from the photos, this is only the amphitheatre and what is left of it. Based on what I have seen, I don't know what those pictures are of that first cabin that someone put on here a while back, because it was no where near the amphitheatre. Maybe it has a connection to the real mine (If there was one), I have no clue. The Theatre is on the strip of road (76) that is between business 13 and the new bipass.
silverstreak
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by silverstreak »

Yah no clue what I took then, I was under the assumption since the road was Silver Rd. that it was the mine/drama, can you pinpoint on a map where abouts the amphitheater is?
BransonBob
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by BransonBob »

I've been told by long-time employees of SDC that the cave system extends nearly to Branson, far beyond the area of public access. Branson is four and a half miles from SDC. These mountains are honeycombed with many caves. No telling what all is still to be found in them.
cousin
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by cousin »

In Taney county there has never been a silver min registered with the USGS. There were two Silver Moon Mines, but never produced Lead/Zinc.
BransonBob
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by BransonBob »

Okay, I took pictures today of the Lost Silver Mine and they may be obtained from http://www.bransonbob.com/lostsilvermine/ if you want them. They may be used for the Picture Gallery if the administrator of this site wants them. I think it would be interesting to see some photographs from when the attraction was still in operation. And by the way, I found and sold some silver today! :D No, not from the Lost Silver Mine. Just a handfull of coins I inherited. But... dream on, if you want to!
BransonBob
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by BransonBob »

Notice the photo of the map. The entrance was off of Business 13 across the bridge trestle that people generally think is an old train bridge, but that wasn't. The road went to the log cabin and then to the Lost Silver Mine. Maybe the log cabin was where you purchased tickets to the show? 76 was recently extended to a new 13 Bypass that goes around the Lakeview / Branson West business section. The extension of 76 cut the Lost Silver Mine road in half, so the log cabin is on one side of 76 next to Walmart, and the Lost Silver Mine is on the other side of 76 back in the weeds. Both the cabin and the theatre sit between Business 13 and the 13 Bypass. Also, though you can't get a nice collection of silver coins or nuggets, you certainly can get a nice collection of ticks when checking the place out.
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

http://library.missouristate.edu/archiv ... 008-11.pdf

looks like there might be some good stuff in there :)
Kit wrote:I am old
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Thanks for the pictures, Bob. Very cool.
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

Been in the Walmart many a time and never realized such was nearby. Thanks for sharin' Branson Bob.
"That old hag hates my ass."
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

cousin wrote:In Taney county there has never been a silver min registered with the USGS. There were two Silver Moon Mines, but they only produced Lead/Zinc.
Fixed that for you.
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
deerwolf
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by deerwolf »

The story of the "Lost Silver Mine" is that there never was one. As the husband of a descendant of the Yochums, I've heard the real story many times. The Yochums sold whiskey to the Delaware Indians, which was illegal. The Delawares had an annuity with the US Government for the purchase of their original land in the state of Delaware. They were paid in silver dollars every year from it. It would look real suspicious if the indians had all this whiskey and the Yochums had all these uncirculated freshly minted silver dollars from the government. So, the Yochums melted down the US dollars and then recast them as Yochum dollars. In order to further distance themselves from the US dollars, they claimed they had a silver mine, and used the mined silver to make the Yochum dollars. This is the story from the family itself, so I don't see any reason to doubt it.