Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in

"Lost Silver Mine" Drama in Branson West
View previous topic | View next topic  
silverstreak
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Locations: Missouri
Usergroups: None

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: "Lost Silver Mine" Drama in Branson West Reply with quote

I lost the thread regarding the Yocum Silver Mine Drama, and the remains of the set in Branson West, so I figured I'd post some of the pics from there while I was passing through last week. I know the building won't be around much longer, and that it is not too historically relevant, but It was a great day for photos, and it was there!

http://www.cityofbransonwest.com/historybw.shtml

silvermine1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  173.72 KB
 Viewed:  172 Time(s)

silvermine1.jpg

silvermine2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  190.36 KB
 Viewed:  143 Time(s)

silvermine2.jpg

silvermine3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  143.28 KB
 Viewed:  125 Time(s)

silvermine3.jpg

silvermine4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  189.71 KB
 Viewed:  139 Time(s)

silvermine4.jpg

silvermine5.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  179.33 KB
 Viewed:  151 Time(s)

silvermine5.jpg

redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: "Lost Silver Mine" Drama in Branson West Reply with quote

Cool structure, nice shots. Is that old building in context with the silver mine somehow?
silverstreak
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: RE: "Lost Silver Mine" Drama in Branson West Reply with quote

No, Artie Ayers started the outdoor drama/play that was short lived here.This was simply a prop, and from the looks of the interior, it could not be more than 20-30 yrs old. The outside/exterior, though weathered and hand hewed, I don't believe to be extremely old, but I have been fooled before! The mine is "Lost" though many speculate if it even ever existed
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: "Lost Silver Mine" Drama in Branson West Reply with quote

It is heavily speculated the location of the mine is now under water, either Taneycomo or Table Rock.
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Locations: Have gun, will travel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: "Lost Silver Mine" Drama in Branson West Reply with quote

(mine never existed. Yokums sold liquor to the injuns', melted down the currency and struck their own to hide their illegal operation)
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "Lost Silver Mine" Drama in Branson West Reply with quote

....but, the speculation is they headquartered their activity in a cave or abandoned mine and due to an abrupt departure on the part of the Yocums/Yokums, there would still be some silver there. Or so I've heard.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: "Lost Silver Mine" Drama in Branson West Reply with quote

Dude, there's a big abandoned (at least I think it's abandoned) outdoor amphitheater thingy about 300-400 yards on the other side of the road in the trees. I don't know if it was part of the Silver Mine deal, but I always thought it was. May be something else, though.
silverstreak
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: RE: "Lost Silver Mine" Drama in Branson West Reply with quote

mother...i didn't even look over there...somebody closer than me (4hrs) needs to go take a few pics
arkie 123
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: "Lost Silver Mine" Drama in Branson West Reply with quote

Did you notice the old train bridge close by? It's fun.
critter
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Locations: St. Louis, Central MO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: "Lost Silver Mine" Drama in Branson West Reply with quote

White Rabbit wrote:
Dude, there's a big abandoned (at least I think it's abandoned) outdoor amphitheater thingy about 300-400 yards on the other side of the road in the trees.

Are you looking at Google Earth? If you are, I do not see it. Is it around to Wal-Mart?
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Locations: SWMO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "Lost Silver Mine" Drama in Branson West Reply with quote

Hmm, so do you think the legend of these silver coins influenced the Herschend's idea of handing out silver dollars to visitors of the pre-Silver Dollar City park?

I know that the family bought the cave, and as attendance grew, they built this 1880's themed park to occupy waiting visitors, and handed out the silver coins, which resulted in the name SDC...

Could one have caused the other, or are they just two seperate stories within a very close vicinity?
silverstreak
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: RE: "Lost Silver Mine" Drama in Branson West Reply with quote

Marvel Cave Park was formed for people waiting to enter the cave, and as demand grew, so did the park, and eventually it turned into a more lucrative business than the cave. The ideas from the Yocum mine have been incorporated into the Park. At one time there was a Flooded Silver Mine ride-Marmaros (the real town where SDC is now) Mine-the Flooded mine Ride-All from what I believe stemmed from the Silver Mines of the area. So I say folklore caused the Dollars to be distributed instead of dollar of bills.
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Locations: SWMO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: "Lost Silver Mine" Drama in Branson West Reply with quote

Here's a section from The Yocum Silver Dollar, by Lynn Morrow, found here: http://thelibrary.springfield.missouri.org/lochist/periodicals/wrv/v8/n11/sp85d.htm

"The Yocum name will continue to pervade the history and folklore of the Upper White River region. Little did the middle-aged Germans who came to the Ozarks realize that their name and a legend they spawned would become synonymous with 20th century Ozark stereotypes and Ozark tourism. Though the people and places in Al Cappís famous comic strip are certainly fictitious, he chose the name Yocum for the central family in Lií1 Abner, and the tourist attraction Dogpatch USA was built in the Ozarks a few miles south of where the Yocum Dollar of Missouri was minted. It also seems ironically fitting that located east of the historic Yocum settlement on the lower James River lies the sprawling Silver Dollar City, on Indian Point, the real silver mine with its one and one-half million annual visitors. In recent years, as business people in the area have chosen names for their enterprises, they have capitalized on the folk awareness of matters associated with the Yoachums: billboards throughout the Branson area boldly display such terms as Yocum, silver dollar, lost silver mine, etc."
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Locations: Have gun, will travel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: "Lost Silver Mine" Drama in Branson West Reply with quote

arkie 123 wrote:
Did you notice the old train bridge close by? It's fun.

Not a train bridge, and not that old either. It's something that Ayers was building for god-knows-what, probably related to the play.

White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: "Lost Silver Mine" Drama in Branson West Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you looking at Google Earth? If you are, I do not see it. Is it around to Wal-Mart?

I just looked and it's not visible through the trees from Google Earth.

The new road that runs along the south side of Wal-mart, it's on the south side of that in the trees.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3