houses

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
Meester Beeg
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: houses

Post by Meester Beeg »

Okay, forgive me for going back so far in this thread, but forgive a noob.
Back on page 6 re the Linpage house: If I'm not mistaken that was the home of a friend's brother's in laws. I will be seeing him today so I will ask. he's told me a few things about it in years gone by.

Then, Lake Hill Speedway-I used to go there with my brother in the 60s. It was asphalt by then. My brother and Schrader hung out quite a bit. Kenny's dad own the auto repair shop right up the street.
Now, that same friend I spoke of earlier used to live at the stop sign by the entrance to lake Hill. He knows the guy who owns the property and owns a business close by. My friend had permission to fish in there. The place floods because there is a spring on the property. ADVICE:don't get caught there without permission.
Txreproshop is a racer and knows all those guys, he may be able to add some info.
In fact, I'll be meeting my friend today near there. I'll see what I can dig up on it.
BTW-the body was found in an abandoned factory in Valley Park. IIRC was it a young girl?
I'll be darned if I remember the name of the boat shop on 79, when it was a going concern it had one name, the sat unused for a while then had another but it was hard to tell if they were open, even when they were. I do remember the Johnson outboards sign hanging out front.

EDIT TO ADD:
The area on Riverview by the Chain of Rocks bridge people are saying looks like a park WAS a park, Chain of Rocks park and there was an amusement park at the top, Chain of Rocks Amusement park. Do a websearch on it. Six Flags pretty much put it, Holiday Hill and the Forest park Highlands out of business. I used to live around the corner from the Highlands until 61.
Chain of Rocks was a VERY popular place for school picnics. The bridge was Alternate 66 and followed Dunn Rd. to Lindbergh. The park was a nice place back in the day for travelers to stop for a break.
I used to maintain the rest area at Riverview/270 in the mid 70s and the amusement park was in its final gasps.
That is NOT, I repeat, NOT a good area to be in now.
archinstl
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Re: RE: houses

Post by archinstl »

Meester Beeg wrote:BTW-the body was found in an abandoned factory in Valley Park. IIRC was it a young girl?
It was a young girl - she was 6 years old and was murdered in 2002. See (It is kinda gruesome): http://www.murderpedia.org/male.J/j/johnson-johnny.htm
He is still on death row - from 2005.
The old glass factory were finally razed by the Army Corps of Engineers in 2002 when it was building the levee. It was one of the founding industries of Valley Park, but it only lasted from 1902 until 1915 when VP was inundated by its Great Flood. It had been nothing but foundations and floors for many years.
It was a large plant with two RR spurs - see: https://www.flickr.com/photos/11581147@N06/7199599374/
Meester Beeg wrote:EDIT TO ADD:
The area on Riverview by the Chain of Rocks bridge people are saying looks like a park WAS a park, Chain of Rocks park and there was an amusement park at the top, Chain of Rocks Amusement park. Do a websearch on it. Six Flags pretty much put it, Holiday Hill and the Forest park Highlands out of business. I used to live around the corner from the Highlands until 61.
Chain of Rocks was a VERY popular place for school picnics. The bridge was Alternate 66 and followed Dunn Rd. to Lindbergh. The park was a nice place back in the day for travelers to stop for a break.
I used to maintain the rest area at Riverview/270 in the mid 70s and the amusement park was in its final gasps.
That is NOT, I repeat, NOT a good area to be in now.
TRUE THAT LAST SENTENCE!
Meester Beeg
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Meester Beeg »

Okay, talked to my friend and showed him the house on LinPage. That's not it. They owned a single level ranch style house.
Oh yeah, the little boat/cabin is on the R side as you enter the place. It is close or maybe even on county property.
We were looking at homes in the nearby subdivision before we moved from STL to St. Peter's. Glad we decided to not move there.
We eventually used a nearby marina (no longer there) to put in our boat.
Beware the Black Widows...feared throughout the land!
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

[if I remember the name of the boat shop on 79, when it :
That is NOT, I repeat, NOT a good area to be in now.[/quote]

Im old so I knwo all about the Highlands which was by the checkerdome which was then the arena and was next to where they did bowling for dollard the All American Circus used to come in on a Train down on Kindshighway and do a prade up the stree to the arena cool old building built in the 1900 for the worlds fair the highlands was in that area a fire burnt the wooden rollercoaster and pretty much closed the park
Holliday Hill was over by the airport kind of and was a cool bigger park buty it started going down hill and needs a lot of cash to get it back in shape
Chain of Rocks was the coolerst for a lot of years and yes the schoold all went there they had 2 giant toy soliders guarding the entrance i thnikkn 6 flags did hurt them but they also had a death that really put the breaks on goijng there i forogt about that park i knew it was sold to a developer but was not aware what they had done with the area some of there rides went to silver dollar city
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

ropingk wrote:Im old so...
Sounds like you, Arch, and Meester can hang out together, telling stories of days gone by and emptying each other's colostomy bags.

:wink:
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: houses

Post by Nicotti »

This has probably been mentioned some where on this site before, but I couldn't find it easily with the search.

Nor is it abandoned.

But it is cool, and in Festus.

A home built into a cave: (technically an old mine)

-Ayn Rand
UR2NVS
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by UR2NVS »

I fairly certain there was a skating rink inside that place at one point.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

You are correct sir.

-Ayn Rand
archinstl
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by archinstl »

Nicotti wrote:
ropingk wrote:Im old so...
Sounds like you, Arch, and Meester can hang out together, telling stories of days gone by and emptying each other's colostomy bags.

:wink:
Leave the windows of your car open some night... :wink:
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Yeah... I don't live in a good enough part of town to do that. :|

-Ayn Rand
Meester Beeg
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Meester Beeg »

I'll have you know I don't share my bag with anyone!
Beware the Black Widows...feared throughout the land!
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

here here im in totaly agrememnt --wait what are we talking about agin?????
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Shemp72 wrote:http://www.ashgrovemo.org/phenix

Outside of Ash Grove. It's almost 4 hours away. Funny, the link at the page leads to undergroundozarks.com
So I heard from a trusted source that one should be careful exploring the Phenix quarry cause the guy that owns it is a "Shoot first, ask questions later" type of guy.

-Ayn Rand
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Nicotti wrote:
Shemp72 wrote:http://www.ashgrovemo.org/phenix

Outside of Ash Grove. It's almost 4 hours away. Funny, the link at the page leads to undergroundozarks.com
So I heard from a trusted source that one should be careful exploring the Phenix quarry cause the guy that owns it is a "Shoot first, ask questions later" type of guy.
I hope he also enjoys getting the fuck sued out of him 'cause that's what would happen. Can only shoot trespassers in your home. Otherwise, you don't even have the right to detain trespassers, let alone shoot them.

Also: http://www.connectmidmissouri.com/news/ ... id=1044517
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I may or may not have mentioned this before, but I walked up while they were open and asked permission to look around. It was granted, and the owner even pointed out a few things I probably would have missed. And let me get some stone from the scrap pile for a project I was working on.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham