houses

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
Wicked
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

houses

Post by Wicked »

Well I have decided to come to you guys to see if any of you know where any old abandoned farm houses are. I love to photography these types of homes and need some new places to photograph. Any help would be appreciated!
Jamesw
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: houses

Post by Jamesw »

There used to be one in St.Charles right off 370 and 94... Be very careful if you go upstairs the floors suck!
-2008 St.Mary's Championship longest drive winner-
White Rabbit wrote:Funniest part: I actually had to stand up on my tippy-toes to remove myself from the pipe..
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: houses

Post by SubLunar »

If you're referring to this one, it burned down last summer. There used to be one across the street as well, but it burned down about 5 years ago.

The barn is still there, though...near the Katy trail.

Jamesw
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: houses

Post by Jamesw »

That is it!
-2008 St.Mary's Championship longest drive winner-
White Rabbit wrote:Funniest part: I actually had to stand up on my tippy-toes to remove myself from the pipe..
silverstreak
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by silverstreak »

M_M and I went out there one time. Refrigerator full of rancid food, knifes in walls, rooms full of stuff still. Piano/Organ out back. That was a pretty weird place seeing that it was just left one day with everything full, clothes still in drawers etc. The most disturbing part was the random thong on the bed, and comments about "sleeping" with people in the bedroom painted on the walls. But hey there is a good population of homeless in St. Charles believe it or not, I have stories!
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

So, aside from this place, I can't think of any other farm houses in the area.

It's always a little creepy to find houses still full of stuff like that, as if the people just disappeared. In Eureka, across from Six Flags there was a whole town like that. There had to be like 20-30 houses, a post office, pawn shop and church. The houses were all full of personal belongings...

-

You wanna know what sucks, though? On my family's farm we had a really old abandoned 2 or 3 story farmhouse and it was in pretty good shape. I went in it one time when I was really young. Shortly thereafter, someone-probably my grandfather-burned it down on purpose so no-one would get hurt in it. :cry:

Man I wish they hadn't done that.:evil:

On a nearby piece of land, there is a small house/shack built by escaped prison inmates. Their inmate numbers were carved in the wall. It has a common area kitchen/sleeping area with a small room to the back. Beds and stove and various personal effects like shoes and stuff are still in the place and I'm guessing it was inhabited around ~1920-30's. It's in very bad shape though. The roof is about 4 feet from the ground...
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Re: RE: houses

Post by crazydrummerdude »

SubLunar wrote:So, aside from this place, I can't think of any other farm houses in the area.
This isn't a farm house, but it's the cooperage, also in old-town St Charles. It's colpletely gutted.. and the same 2x4 framing and drywall has sat in there for 2 years un touched.

It's always a little creepy to find houses still full of stuff like that, as if the people just disappeared. In Eureka, across from Six Flags there was a whole town like that. There had to be like 20-30 houses, a post office, pawn shop and church. The houses were all full of personal belongings...
Here's a few pics of that town:
http://urb-ex.livejournal.com/10967.html#cutid1
You wanna know what sucks, though? On my family's farm we had a really old abandoned 2 or 3 story farmhouse and it was in pretty good shape. I went in it one time when I was really young. Shortly thereafter, someone-probably my grandfather-burned it down on purpose so no-one would get hurt in it.
Same here. I believe it was 2 story. I remember being in it once. Now all that's left is the foundation.

On a nearby piece of land, there is a small house/shack built by escaped prison inmates. Their inmate numbers were carved in the wall. It has a common area kitchen/sleeping area with a small room to the back. Beds and stove and various personal effects like shoes and stuff are still in the place and I'm guessing it was inhabited around ~1920-30's. It's in very bad shape though. The roof is about 4 feet from the ground...
Unfortunately, the refrigerator is about the only thing keeping the house up, or at least was. I haven't been there in a couple years, so who knows if it's still around? Let's go by there next time.

Since you're talking about the farm, how could you forget the following 2 houses?

This is the only location where I've ever had a gun pulled on me while exploring.

and here's a house on I believe what is a family friends parents land:

Back to the topic at hand:

Here's a couple off I-70 in Mid-MO:

Image[/url]
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

I didn't forget about those, but since they're far away (and close enough to our place that I won't give location information), I figured not worth mentioning...
memory_machine
Resident Douchebag
Resident Douchebag

Post by memory_machine »

Isn't that first one the screaming house? Spooky!
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Screaming house?
silverstreak
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by silverstreak »

Apparently you can hear screams from a "ghost" at the house off the highway. I have heard nothing except that the owners live next door, and do not take kindly to explorer types.

There is a house in Chesterfield on Airport Road near the Pumpkin Patch. It is directly across from the gas station, but it is scheduled for demo soon.
Attachments
chesterfield airport.jpg
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

silverstreak wrote:Apparently you can hear screams from a "ghost" at the house off the highway. I have heard nothing except that the owners live next door, and do not take kindly to explorer types.
Never heard that. You sure it's the cooperage building? The old rock one next to the formerly-abandoned water treatment plant?

Also, SubLunar and I've walked in and out of the place several times in day-light. Never heard a peep out of the neighbors, or owners.
There is a house in Chesterfield on Airport Road near the Pumpkin Patch. It is directly across from the gas station, but it is scheduled for demo soon.
Yeah! Uh, I've been meaning to go to that and the abandoned plant nursery just down the road. Last I checked, there was a bobcat out front. I gotta get there soon. Thursday. Probably.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

silverstreak wrote:Apparently you can hear screams from a "ghost" at the house off the highway. I have heard nothing except that the owners live next door, and do not take kindly to explorer types.
That sounds vaguely familiar. The location I associate with a rumor like that is off of the road the family arena is on now. I think I remember a house back in the woods somewhere, but that was a loong time ago before the arena was there...
silverstreak
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by silverstreak »

I have never run into any problems with the owners either, nor have I heard a peep, but I have read accounts of the owner coming out(if only once) with a shotgun threatening the trespassers.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

That house in Chesterfield is worth checking out. Just went there today and I doubt it'll be there much longer.

While we were there though, some trucks pulled up right next to the barn while we were in it, so there's definitely some activity going on at that site.