Springfield Lake to New Orleans in a Kayak

You can talk about anything here
David Keetz
Mercurial Disciple
Mercurial Disciple

Springfield Lake to New Orleans in a Kayak

Post by David Keetz »

..I'm doing it! One month away now.

The old thread for this got really long and it was cool to see the plan kind of come together but I'm just starting a new one to link back to the facebook page and the website.

...check it.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lake-Spri ... 4520497346

www.davidkeetz.com
Last edited by David Keetz on Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think something clever is supposed to go right here.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: Springfield Lake to New Orleans in a Kayak

Post by Nicotti »

More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Don't forget to take a razor if you need one, lest you scare the people by the end of your trip... unless you wanna see how long you can grow it.

-Ayn Rand
The Count
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by The Count »

Dude you funna be so buff by the time you get down there. Way cool man good luck.
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

I really enjoyed reading the blog. Thanks for updating this!
Kit wrote:I am old
David Keetz
Mercurial Disciple
Mercurial Disciple

Post by David Keetz »

Thanks guys. I appreciate people checking it out. This month has been serious workout mode for me to get ready....I can't say that I'm in the best shape of my life at this moment but I'm confident I will be soon.
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Post by GlassCurtain »

Another good thing to think about taking is a Magnesium/Flint Striker. If your matches get wet you're screwed. Strikers are waterproof.
“I investigate things to complete my knowledge, my complete knowledge makes my thoughts sincere, my thoughts being sincere; my heart is pure.”

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glasscurtain/
The Count
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by The Count »

Theres waterproof matches, and windproof, but yeh strikers are a good idea, or a couple road flares they light up quick and you can even hold them underwater and they stay lit. Bring a couple of them and cut them in pieces then strike em wit the striker and you will have a bigger fire to easily light your leaves and stuff that would be the best way brah
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Dryer lint makes for excellent kindling.

-Ayn Rand
David Keetz
Mercurial Disciple
Mercurial Disciple

Post by David Keetz »

the knife I purchased actually has a magnesium striker on it and the guy who sold it to me was kind enough to teach me how to actually use the sparks created to start a fire......i had never really realized that you can't just make sparks over kindling and expect it to burn......so...

here's how you do it...

Cut up some small 1.5 inch squares of denim and almost cut the lid off of a tin can then poke a hole straight in the middle of the lid. Throw the denim inside the can and then place it over a fire (before you go camping and will need them, obviously) and wait until smoke starts pluming from the hole in the top. Take the can off of the fire then wait for the smoke to stop then remove the squares of denim from the can. They will be charred and can be stored in a plastic bag, leather holder, whatever until needed.
The purpose of all of this is that sparks die out before they hit the ground and even if they land on your kindling, they will most likely die before you can give it any airflow to start a fire.
So...you strike your flint or magnesium over these little charred squares of denim and the spark will stay lit on the denim and you can place that in your kindling and start the fire...

cool stuff.
Freak
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

RE: Springfield Lake to New Orleans in a Kayak

Post by Freak »

You can also use steel wool or Usnea moss (Old Man's Beard) as tinder. I used to carry a little bottle of steel wool soaked in diesel in my emergency bag, worked great for getting a fire going fast :-)
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Post by GlassCurtain »

David Keetz wrote:the knife I purchased actually has a magnesium striker on it and the guy who sold it to me was kind enough to teach me how to actually use the sparks created to start a fire......i had never really realized that you can't just make sparks over kindling and expect it to burn......so...

here's how you do it...

Cut up some small 1.5 inch squares of denim and almost cut the lid off of a tin can then poke a hole straight in the middle of the lid. Throw the denim inside the can and then place it over a fire (before you go camping and will need them, obviously) and wait until smoke starts pluming from the hole in the top. Take the can off of the fire then wait for the smoke to stop then remove the squares of denim from the can. They will be charred and can be stored in a plastic bag, leather holder, whatever until needed.
The purpose of all of this is that sparks die out before they hit the ground and even if they land on your kindling, they will most likely die before you can give it any airflow to start a fire.
So...you strike your flint or magnesium over these little charred squares of denim and the spark will stay lit on the denim and you can place that in your kindling and start the fire...

cool stuff.
Wow that sounds like a lot of work. I was talking about one of these. A hunk of magnesium with a flint attached to it. You shave off a little pile of magnesium, place it in your tender, and then strike the flint into it. Magnesium burns like a champ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFaq-J-j5DQ

oh and cotton balls soaked in vaseline works well as tender. Each cotton ball will burn for about 5 mins.
“I investigate things to complete my knowledge, my complete knowledge makes my thoughts sincere, my thoughts being sincere; my heart is pure.”

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glasscurtain/
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

GlassCurtain wrote:oh and cotton balls soaked in vaseline works well as tender. Each cotton ball will burn for about 5 mins.
And if you're going to be out in the wilderness for a month you'll need that vaseline...

-Ayn Rand
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

I believe he's leaving in the next week or 2.

-Ayn Rand
construct_this
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by construct_this »

Nicotti wrote:
GlassCurtain wrote:oh and cotton balls soaked in vaseline works well as tender. Each cotton ball will burn for about 5 mins.
And if you're going to be out in the wilderness for a month you'll need that vaseline...
Or the cast from Deliverance.