Dear anyone who frequents the Jordan Creek Tunnel:

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: Dear anyone who frequents the Jordan Creek Tunnel:

Post by White Rabbit »

The tunnel's been a lot safer since the Frog brothers took the contract.
Curor
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Curor »

BROUSER wrote:Hotel of Terror opening soon. I was thinking about popping through the tunnel while I was down there. Pros and cons of this idea?
It is a ton of fun, you can hear the chainsaws and screaming way back in the tunnel, and walking down that last leg in the dark on your way out is just fun.
Everyone else who lets me ride on their dinosaur calls me Carlos.
Mystic Waffle
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Mystic Waffle »

the hotel was open about a week ago, it was i think $5 before 9, then after 9 it was $11 per person. it was alot better than i remembered, went to the tunnels right after and the people i was with FREAKED over the noises coming from there, it was a great time.
Pirate!
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

I guess I'm gonna have to check out the HOT.
"That old hag hates my ass."
DeathByMoth
BANNED
BANNED

Post by DeathByMoth »

**NOTICE**

Somebody put plywood over the ladder leading down into the ditch by the HOT entrance. This happened within the last week. I've also noticed BNSF doing work on Tracks and Lots that they own in the area. I went in anyway, with 5 other people, and we stayed for 3 hours without incident, but I worry that this is a foreboding sign.

There is minimal new graffiti, but there is a lot of new art work. Anybody that hasn't been in for awhile should go, just to view all the new art. Violent Gay has like 6 tags with his UO name all in the same place, like a monument to his ignorance, right past the second junction. Totally worth defacing. And has anyone explored the Hobo Ruins in the field on the east end of the Tunnels? There's a decrepit building and a trail, and plenty of Hobo Relics.

Anybody that has any additional info is encouraged to post it. I'd like to know what's going on, and I'm a little concerned that they may try to bar entry in the future. They've grated off several other good tunnels in the area, and Jordan Creek may be next.
DeathByMoth
BANNED
BANNED

Post by DeathByMoth »

Was in the Tunnels a couple nights ago, and came across something quite odd. Just past Hell's Cathedral, on the right passage, there is a small, low tunnel, about 3 feet in diameter. There's always water running out of it. I've seen it many times before, and never went inside of it to investigate. Well, four of us were walking by it and heard music being played. I stooped down to listen, and it was 'Disturbed'. I could hear the lyrics clearly.

I shone a light into the small tunnel, and the music stopped almost immediately. I called out to see who was inside, we offered to smoke with whoever was inside, and offered a fifth of Sailor, but there was no response. We walked away, and I silently crept back to listen. Still no music. I'm pretty confused by this, because I'm totally sure that we heard music initially. Looking into the tunnel, you could see water on the side walls, further up than the running water could have left, as well as water on the ceiling. Whoever was inside obviously didn't want any company.

Has anybody ever crawled in there? I was wearing tennis shoes last time so I didn't go in, but I'm going back with boots tonight. Looking in, it did appear to have a small room about 100 feet back. I couldn't tell for sure, but it seems that the tunnel may lead to a natural spring or some other water source, as it is always running. Is this what is referred to as the 'Natural Well'? Does anyone know if there is a room, or anything significant back there? I will post later if I notice anything significant when I go back.
- Y U NO LIKE RANDY?!?!
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

RE: Dear anyone who frequents the Jordan Creek Tunnel:

Post by liesreality »

Never had that happen.

On the opposite wall as the hells church, i did take that tunnel, and immediately there is a ledge you can easily hop up on and crouch. As you go further the ceiling gets smaller, until you have to crawl around each corner. Along the way you can see out onto the road the cars driving by.

I have met people when i have been down in the jordan tunnels. Normally, the people are not in the tunnels i meet but rather if you go down the ladder and take a left, they are right there smoking/drinking.
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

The tunnel you are refering to is the one that is currently my #1 suspect to be the Natural Well. I've emailed several sources to try and confirm this information, but nobody knows. So if I am going to find out, it looks like I've got a long stooped over crawl in my future.

I don't know if that drain leads directly to the well, but the fact that it is flowing when none of the other drains are flowing, and that the water seems to have a high mineral content as shown by the lime/calcium build up where the water flows, hints to me that the water from the Well somehow makes its way into that drain.

If you beat me to it let me know what you find.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
DeathByMoth
BANNED
BANNED

Post by DeathByMoth »

Yeah, the crawl into that pipe fucking sucks. I'm not a short guy, so it's really cramped, and my back scraped the ceiling the whole time. I still didn't get all the way in, but it appears to make a 45 degree turn at some kind of junction, and from there the pipe seems to get smaller. I still cant tell if there is a room at the junction though, or even a wider space.

I broke two fingers and almost my leg last night, on the way out. As we were going in, I swear I heard a manhole cover move. We got a little way in, halfway to the first junction on the left side, and saw that, indeed, the manhole was not covering it's hole. We went on our way. Here's the thing; we usually eschew flashlights in favor of blind navigation. See where this is going? On the way out, I stepped completely into the hole, my left leg got caught, and as I fell forward my left hand slapped the concrete. I was holding the maglight in that hand, so my fingers got sandwiched between the light and the 'crete. I shattered the tips of both fingers. For a few minutes my arm went numb, then my right arm, then my face and chest. My speech became slurred and we both thought I was having a stroke/heart-attack. I stood up and tried to walk it off, and by the time we reached the exit I'd regained sensation in my face and arms. I've never had anything like that happen. The numbness scared the shit out of me.

I think the impact forced the blood in my arm and hand to be displaced. It would have taken a moment for adequate blood flow to restore throughout my body. That's the only reason I can think of for the numbness. At first I thought I had dislodged a blood-clot or something. That fucking manhole is still open, so watch yourself if you go in.
- Y U NO LIKE RANDY?!?!
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Yeah I get numb every time I break a bone. It's normal.
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

DBM I really enjoy your real posts.
Kit wrote:I am old
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

Post by liesreality »

jammer_smith wrote:The tunnel you are refering to is the one that is currently my #1 suspect to be the Natural Well. I've emailed several sources to try and confirm this information, but nobody knows. So if I am going to find out, it looks like I've got a long stooped over crawl in my future.

I don't know if that drain leads directly to the well, but the fact that it is flowing when none of the other drains are flowing, and that the water seems to have a high mineral content as shown by the lime/calcium build up where the water flows, hints to me that the water from the Well somehow makes its way into that drain.

If you beat me to it let me know what you find.
hmm...i didnt know that about a well, but i wouldnt doubt it. will have to check on that at some point.
Twail Wetard
The Clit Commander
The Clit Commander

Post by Twail Wetard »

Kinda ironic how the original purpose of the thread was to close the manholes...

Anywho. I was reading a book at the library today about Jordan creek and the history. I didn't read all of it, but just came accross section that talked about how most springs were plugged or re routed. How in the hell do you plug up a spring and hold back mother nature?
THE THREAD KILLER!
construct_this
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by construct_this »

Kit wrote:DBM I really enjoy your real posts.
I've tried to stay out of this as much as possible, but I really think DBM will be a productive member of the forum if everyone can wipe the slate clean. I kinda feel like everyone just got off on the wrong foot.
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

Post by liesreality »

Twail Wetard wrote:Kinda ironic how the original purpose of the thread was to close the manholes...

Anywho. I was reading a book at the library today about Jordan creek and the history. I didn't read all of it, but just came accross section that talked about how most springs were plugged or re routed. How in the hell do you plug up a spring and hold back mother nature?
LOl, yes i seen the topic changed. Also, it is strange how we think we can beat mother nature, LOL.
construct_this wrote:
Kit wrote:DBM I really enjoy your real posts.
I've tried to stay out of this as much as possible, but I really think DBM will be a productive member of the forum if everyone can wipe the slate clean. I kinda feel like everyone just got off on the wrong foot.
I personally, was upset by one of his posts, but after speaking with him, i am willing to move past that. I have read many of the older posts on the site (definately not all of them, LOL), so i have no idea what happened between him and everyone on here. I'm going to stay out of that, but i will say that it does get old reading some of the posts about it. Anyways, i have no issue with him.