1950's Limestone Quarry

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
Nickelplate
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

1950's Limestone Quarry

Post by Nickelplate »

As I was returning home to Springfield by airplane I noticed big water-filled hole in the side of a hill that we went over. I noted the location and found it on Google maps. I really have a talent for finding things on Google maps. anyway, the quarry was made in the 1950's when they were building HWY 44. It was abandoned after and sold into private ownership. Recently it was sold to Louis Greisemer of Springfield Underground. I believe they are planning on re-opening the quarry soon.

It is located within a mile to the east of Fantastic Caverns.

I was unable to reach the quarry to supply pics.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=37.2 ... 8&t=h&z=17
I tried sniffing coke, but the ice cubes kept getting stuck in my nose.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: 1950

Post by Nicotti »

Be expensive to reopen, they'd have to pump all that water out of there.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
Nickelplate
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: 1950's Limestone Quarry

Post by Nickelplate »

That's what I thought, but a guy like Griesemer does not get rich by buying unworkable projects. I also thought that the folks at Fantastic Caverns would have something to say about the amount of blasting going on nearly ABOVE their tourist-cave. (which, by the way, is gorgeous.)

Anyway, I'm looking for Springfield-based explorers. Maybe form a kind of exploring club locally if one does not exist.

This place, I have been informed has been deemed too dangerous for locals, so for litigation purposes, I would think that they don't want anyone going in it. But who knows?!
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: 1950's Limestone Quarry

Post by Nicotti »

Nickelplate wrote:. Recently it was sold to Louis Greisemer of Springfield Underground. I believe they are planning on re-opening the quarry soon.
The Underground is planning on starting an underground quarry project near the airport, but it will be underground. The Underground's primary money maker is underground storage, which is what the new quarry will be when all the rocks chopped out, the quarried rock is just extra income.

I doubt they'll reopen any old quarry.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I would say it's a possibility though. With new technology, the grade of rock and ability of the geology to be transformed into underground storage can be more accurately assessed (ground penetrating radar, etc.) He may have also be opening a new, adjacent quarry.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
cousin
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by cousin »

The technology to drain it is no big deal, just a few large pumps to drain then once empty and permanet pump. That's what they actually did with the current http://caveofdreams.com/default.aspx
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Post by slow_walker »

BROUSER wrote: He may have also be opening a new, adjacent quarry.
ZOMG :shock: :shock: Brouser made a grammatical typing error.
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by paul06660 »

cousin wrote:The technology to drain it is no big deal, just a few large pumps to drain then once empty and permanet pump. That's what they actually did with the current http://caveofdreams.com/default.aspx
Then the Axis will try to dynamite the water pump, and us good guys, the Allies will drown.
We are all just sloguns waiting to have our triggers pulled.
ouvgotmel
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by ouvgotmel »

I've been swimming there. We parked down the road by a bridge and followed the river all the way there to avoid the home owners, which is real close to quarry. Then on the way out we decided to just walk out to the road right by the house and the people were standing there with guns. They never said anything and we never went back. It is really pretty and very cold.
Nickelplate
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: 1950's Limestone Quarry

Post by Nickelplate »

ouvgotmel wrote:I've been swimming there. We parked down the road by a bridge and followed the river all the way there to avoid the home owners, which is real close to quarry. Then on the way out we decided to just walk out to the road right by the house and the people were standing there with guns. They never said anything and we never went back. It is really pretty and very cold.
I hope I can go there sometime. I just wanted to take pictures there, since it looked really pretty from above. But Griesemer's secretary said that they didn't want to give me "security clearance." I was like "okay. thanks" while thinking "I'll sneak in!"
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

ouvgotmel wrote:I've been swimming there. We parked down the road by a bridge and followed the river all the way there to avoid the home owners, which is real close to quarry. Then on the way out we decided to just walk out to the road right by the house and the people were standing there with guns. They never said anything and we never went back. It is really pretty and very cold.
I fucking hate people like that. Also, I know this area pretty well. I used to go to Ritter Springs all the time, but I never knew about this quarry. I'll have to check it out sometime, gun-toting rednecks be damned.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Sertile wrote:
I fucking hate people like that. Also, I know this area pretty well. I used to go to Ritter Springs all the time, but I never knew about this quarry. I'll have to check it out sometime, gun-toting rednecks be damned.
You can even wear your garb you bought in Oman!
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
Nickelplate
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Nickelplate »

Locals: let me know if you want to take a trip and we can meet up. I'd love to go, as well as meet other UOers.
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

I agree with Cousin. They drain quarries all the time. There's one near here that's been drained I-don't-know-how-many times.

Sertile, you might want to post a listing of your favorite charities and also what kinds of flowers you like. That way we'll be ready. :shock:
"That old hag hates my ass."
ASK
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by ASK »

So today I was driving past this location from north to south and noticed what looks like a cave or two on the west side of the road in the hillside next to the river (below the quarry). After looking on bing maps and google maps it also looks like there is water coming out of the cave and that someone has built a dam. I've done as much research as I can on the area (quarry/fantastic caverns/ritter springs) but it doesn't look like anyone mentions it. There is a house nearby but it looks like you could easily sneak in to the quarry and cave/caves from the trails at Fantastic Caverns. I'm going back down there later today to take a better look. I doubt I'll be able to get any good pictures on my phone from the road though.

https://goo.gl/maps/aLvD2